• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Judge Recommends Suspension of 6 Games for Deshaun Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was a Cosby situation where he was actually convicted I would bring up the number as valid but nothing was deemed criminal in this situation
Since when is a criminal conviction required for an NFL suspension?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kraft, nor Jones were accused by any victims.

Kraft had a paid agreement, Jones had pictures that looked like he was partying with strippers.
dont let facts confuse them and yes the owners can be suspended:suds:

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Goddell covered under the CBA?

It's complete hypocrisy to have players under a moral code that the owners don't have to follow themselves

Owners not having to follow the same rules as their employees? I am shocked. Shocked I tell you! This has to be the first time in all owner/employee history where this is the case.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yep they made goodel judge/jury/executioner:suds:
Yep. If I understood correctly - ANY suspension levied that is appealed by the NFL is at the sole discretion of Roger Goodell....he has the final authority to levy and/all punishment at that time - and that is exactly how it is spelled out in the CBA - so all the bluster and huffing about the NFLPA, Watson, and Cleveland threatening to sue the NFL/RG is just that...bluster. He is following the CBA they all agreed to as he wishes.

They should have 100% seen this coming with any major issue: allowing RG to be the final say on any levied suspension. Bad, bad move by the NFLPA.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure according to the CBA 6 games is the max unless he has prior incidents or suspensions.
This has merit, but I'd think the NFL could look at each accuser as a separate incident, hence the call for an indefinite suspension.

FWIW, I wouldn't think indefinite is right.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this was a Cosby situation where he was actually convicted I would bring up the number as valid but nothing was deemed criminal in this situation
Another bad correlation. A conviction has never been required for a suspension. See Big Ben years ago, and others. The NFL has always had greater leeway in how it handles its players when compared to the actual legal system.

It's more of a civil system than a criminal system. Just like you can not be convicted of a crime, and still be held civilly responsible.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He ain't my boy. First that jackass in cleats BM and now this scumbag Watson. Back to back QB's for my team that I can't support for various reasons. I'll always be a Browns fan. But I'll never be a Watson fan.
1659362209129.png

Point on the jersey where the Browns hurt you....

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another bad correlation. A conviction has never been required for a suspension. See Big Ben years ago, and others. The NFL has always had greater leeway in how it handles its players when compared to the actual legal system.

It's more of a civil system than a criminal system. Just like you can not be convicted of a crime, and still be held civilly responsible.

Ben had already been accused of assault and then had a second accusation. His suspension was then set at 6 games and then reduced to 4.

If you don't think these are valid examples what do you consider as a precedent and a fair suspension

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has merit, but I'd think the NFL could look at each accuser as a separate incident, hence the call for an indefinite suspension.

FWIW, I wouldn't think indefinite is right.
Agreed. I think you have to find the sweet spot. I mean, this isn't 1-2 or even 4 or 5...this was 26. So, the "first time" incident, IMO, should go right out the window. What it really means is how quickly can you "find" a player doing something wrong...which isn't something I think anyone wants to get into. Indefinite would have likely been overkill - I think there needed to be a final resolution to his playing/suspension status.

The issue they could have now is - the women involved still have a full year (give or take) to file a complaint since the statute of limitation is 2 years from incident. So, if the last known incident was in January of '21 (or whatever) there could still be someone in November or December that decides to file...then what happens? How is that treated? Still as the first incident? What if 5 more file? 10? We know at least 60 massages were given...

That is one of the reasons I thought a year suspension was probably the best outcome. It would have not only shown the NFL was serious about the charges, just by the sheer volume of complaints alone, but also would have allowed for Watson to remain away from the NFL until the statute of limitations ran out - also protecting themselves from any future hassles that more charges would bring.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben had already been accused of assault and then had a second accusation. His suspension was then set at 6 games and then reduced to 4.

If you don't think these are valid examples what do you consider as a precedent and a fair suspension

26 - and the statute of limitations has not yet run out on any of the other women who have not yet filed...

Not only that, but the world has changed a TON in terms of women's rights and protections just in the 20 years alone since that has happened.

These are not the same. If you think they are...I just don't know what to say. They're not.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think you have to find the sweet spot. I mean, this isn't 1-2 or even 4 or 5...this was 26. So, the "first time" incident, IMO, should go right out the window. What it really means is how quickly can you "find" a player doing something wrong...which isn't something I think anyone wants to get into. Indefinite would have likely been overkill - I think there needed to be a final resolution to his playing/suspension status.

The issue they could have now is - the women involved still have a full year (give or take) to file a complaint since the statute of limitation is 2 years from incident. So, if the last known incident was in January of '21 (or whatever) there could still be someone in November or December that decides to file...then what happens? How is that treated? Still as the first incident? What if 5 more file? 10? We know at least 60 massages were given...

That is one of the reasons I thought a year suspension was probably the best outcome. It would have not only shown the NFL was serious about the charges, just by the sheer volume of complaints alone, but also would have allowed for Watson to remain away from the NFL until the statute of limitations ran out - also protecting themselves from any future hassles that more charges would bring.
theres still 1 woman who hasnt settled yet so not ova yet:suds:

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

26 - and the statute of limitations has not yet run out on any of the other women who have not yet filed...

Not only that, but the world has changed a TON in terms of women's rights and protections just in the 20 years alone since that has happened.

These are not the same. If you think they are...I just don't know what to say. They're not.
plus ben was 12 years ago and alot has changed since then:suds:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Browns knew the entire time is was going to be no more than 6 games. Period.
It's the only reason they inked that monster deal before hand.

I knew it was not going to be more than 6 games because of the Browns deal ...That is on record.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Ben was accused of actual r*pe. Watson was accused of agreesively soliciting sexual favors. We don't know the exact nature of all 26 incidents.

Again, what punishment do you recommend for a player with no prior history of misconduct where no criminal charges were filed

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ben was accused of actual r*pe. Watson was accused of agreesively soliciting sexual favors. We don't know the exact nature of all 26 incidents.

Again, what punishment do you recommend for a player with no prior history of misconduct where no criminal charges were filed
Castration.....

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the NFL will gauge the level of public reaction and then decide whether to appeal.

Myself, I'm interested in reading her reasoning. Wonder if we'll ever get to see it. Also notable that Ashley Solis settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.