• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Judge for Yourselves, Part II: Secondary

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit being crabby...Fine...We will need to put up 30 a game and hope like hell the defnese can hold the opposing team under that? That sound about right? Or do I need to come down.

Quit being a douchebag then.

Our D only gave up 30 or more 4 times last year. Stop acting like our entire D was shit. Stats tell a different story. If our offense can improve upon costly mistakes and red zone TDs, then we'll be just fine.

Your trolling is weak son.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quit being a douchebag then.

Our D only gave up 30 or more 4 times last year. Stop acting like our entire D was shit. Stats tell a different story. If our offense can improve upon costly mistakes and red zone TDs, then we'll be just fine.

Your trolling is weak son.

And when were down by 20 at the half the pressure is taken off the defense because the oppossing team stops scoring and runs the ball to tear up clock.....Stats lie, our secondary play doesn't.

(douchbag and son) in one comment, your stepping your game up.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And when were down by 20 at the half the pressure is taken off the defense because the oppossing team stops scoring and runs the ball to tear up clock.....Stats lie, our secondary play doesn't.

My game has always been top notch son. I've just ignored you for 99% of the time. Sometimes I like to remind you what a douche you are, just in case you forget.

Btw, "you're" means "you are".

grammarpolice.jpg

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stats lie, our secondary play doesn't.
There are other parts of the defense that helps stop the other team from scoring. I have not once stated our secondary is above average. Stop making it out like that's what I'm referring to.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are other parts of the defense that helps stop the other team from scoring. I have not once stated our secondary is above average. Stop making it out like that's what I'm referring to.

Oh, just stop. Quit playing the victim card. I never said you thought that about our secondary, but you defend a lot of post that poke fun at it though.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My game has always been top notch son. I've just ignored you for 99% of the time. Sometimes I like to remind you what a douche you are, just in case you forget.

grammarpolice.jpg

Another "son and douche" reference.

I'm rubber you're (haha) glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks too you.....

I have a sticks and stones may break my bones quip ready as well.:laugh3:

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

grammarpolice.jpg

Damn, that Grammar police badge is pretty tight.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm on board with Ebron pick now that we made....(Didn't like it the night it happened) But F-it.....Let's go all Rich Rod and put up points......50 a game, can't get all conservative with this offense, We need to air it out 80% of the time.....Run on 3rd and one and air it out the rest.....We made our bed, commit to it.

No way, Ebron is a Jared Cook clone. Tons of athletic ability but prone to drops. Already struggling with drops in Mini-camp so far. This pick will be the one that breaks Mayhew's back. Not this season but down the road. I am predicting a big year from the Lions this season. NFC championship game.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like the stark evidence the secondary really isn't that terrible. They sure as hell are mediocre or mid to bottom of the road...for me I want fanfuckingtabulous. I will NOT settle for not that terrible. Not that terrible does not get the job done. I am neither real or kool aid. I am sure not a guy that settles for mediocrity.

I don't even think they're middle of the league. The CBs in particular are in bad shape. We really need some young guys to step up this year. Who says they won't, though. Everybody and their brother in the NFL talks about how it takes CB three years to really get their feet under them, we have 3 CBs on the roster heading into year three, yet people are already writing them off based on their past performance. Doesn't add up.

Our situation is far from ideal, but it's not all gloom-and-doom, either. We have a 2nd year CB who was a top 40 pick last season. He's big and fast and long and played a ton of man-press in the SEC. That's a pretty good piece to have in the defense. We got three other young CBs I mentioned above heading into their third year- maybe they pan out, maybe they don't, but we'd be absolute fools not to find out what they've got. Guys get on Mayhew for not developing players, and then constantly harp on the players he's trying to develop.

I'm not willing to settle for mediocrity, either. In fact I can't imagine that anyone is. The biggest difference in this debate, imo, is that some of us see the arrow in the secondary pointing up (young talent, new scheme, DB-minded coordinator, quality safeties), where others apparently see a black hole.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, just stop. Quit playing the victim card. I never said you thought that about our secondary, but you defend a lot of post that poke fun at it though.

No victim card, I'm simply correcting your post directed at me. If you're going to respond to me, at least follow along. You made another asinine claim about our offense needing to score 50 a game bc our D obviously was gonna give up a ton of points(in your eyes). You previously made a post about our D giving up 40 a game(which it never did ONE TIME last year). I made it a point to show a stat that didn't lie and you then reference the secondary. Our secondary isn't the entire D. Maybe next time get your shit together.

As far as "defending" goes, I only made posts where incorrect claims were being made. Like gandy, I don't give a shit about your dumb titles you give to people. If I agree or disagree with something, I'll go with that, regardless of topic.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, Ebron is a Jared Cook clone. Tons of athletic ability but prone to drops. Already struggling with drops in Mini-camp so far. This pick will be the one that breaks Mayhew's back. Not this season but down the road. I am predicting a big year from the Lions this season. NFC championship game.

I was watching some of his tape and even saw some still frames of him. He really does not know how to catch a football. I know someone mentioned we don't have the skill to play the level these guys do, but I definitely can catch a ball better than half these kids. Their fundamentals are for shit. Ebron is a freakish athlete who has a ton of upside if someone can get him to change his technique. Otherwise, you are correct. He will be nothing but Jared Cook clone. A big game now and then, but mostly a disappointment.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is partially true. We did get behind in some games which resulted in teams trying to run on us. The stats for those games are misleading.

The bottom line though is we played a lot of nickel and zone and teams got a lot of yards but stalled in the red zone. We did well in keeping teams out of the end zone. Probably gave up as many TDs on blown plays than teams driving on us.

Teams cant be strong everywhere for very long. Watch the drop off on SF and Seattle in the coming years. Bigger contracts and FA will eat them up. Teams will start running on the Seahawks soon. Niners defense will be giving up more points as well as they will not have the running game they used to.

We are strong on DL and LB now. OL and WR too. We should be strong on QB and RB but they underperformed last year. That only leaves DB, which is our weak spot. Kicker too. No teams will be strong throughout for very long. That's the reality of FA.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is partially true. We did get behind in some games which resulted in teams trying to run on us. The stats for those games are misleading.

The bottom line though is we played a lot of nickel and zone and teams got a lot of yards but stalled in the red zone. We did well in keeping teams out of the end zone. Probably gave up as many TDs on blown plays than teams driving on us.

Teams cant be strong everywhere for very long. Watch the drop off on SF and Seattle in the coming years. Bigger contracts and FA will eat them up. Teams will start running on the Seahawks soon. Niners defense will be giving up more points as well as they will not have the running game they used to.

We are strong on DL and LB now. OL and WR too. We should be strong on QB and RB but they underperformed last year. That only leaves DB, which is our weak spot. Kicker too. No teams will be strong throughout for very long. That's the reality of FA.

Old Lion prolly the most spot on post in this whole thread.:10:

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewand possesses a strong educational background, having received a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Michigan in 1991, and completing both his Juris Doctor at the University of Michigan Law School and his Master’s degree in business administration from the University of Michigan Business School in 1996. Lewand aided the Michigan football program in various capacities on a volunteer basis while attending the school. He also worked for the Lions on a part-time basis while completing work on his graduate degrees.

In 1991, Lewand served as an environmental advisor for the Governor of Indiana, Evan Bayh. Following a year in that position, he entered graduate school at Michigan. He spent time working for the law firm of Dickinson Wright in Detroit, and the Chicago law firm of Kirkland and Ellis. In the summer of 1993, he worked in the White House in the Counsel’s Office for Presidential Personnel.

Lewand’s family history is entrenched in the Detroit area community. His father, F. Thomas Lewand, works as an attorney and was both the Chief of Staff for former Governor James Blanchard and the Chairman of the Michigan Democratic Party. His late grandfather, Joseph B. Sullivan, was a judge in the Michigan Court of Appeals and was the deputy mayor of Detroit in the 1960s.

Lewand is active in the community, acting as Past Chairman of the Detroit Metro Convention and Visitors Bureau and serving on the Boards of Directors of the Detroit Zoological Society, the Downtown Detroit Partnership, the Detroit Economic Growth Corporation and the Parade Company.
In a collaborative effort to reduce and prevent youth sports concussions, Lewand represented the Lions and the organization’s work with Michigan legislators, the NFL and various youth sports organizations to pass state laws that have implemented concussion education and awareness programs along with a medical protocol for young athletes to return to action.

Lewand also is on the Corporate Advisory Board for the University of Michigan’s Ross School of Business. Lewand was named as one of Crain’s Detroit Business “40 Under 40” in 1998, which honored and recognized 40 top business people in the Detroit area under the age of 40. Lewand has also been recognized nationally twice, in 2003 and 2005, by the Sports Business Journal as one of the top “40 Under 40” sports executives in the United States.

That's the Lions fluff piece on him. Where is the actual work experience? He completes his undergrad work and goes to work as an Environmental Advisor? LOL. If he was the Head Groundskeeper that would make sense.

Then he worked at a law firm. But he wasn't an attorney, he didn't go to law school for another couple years. That job must have been high level right? I'm seeing BSL all over that. Make coffee and send faxes cause he wasn't qualified for anything else.

Then he interns for the summer at the White House in some form of personnel dept. Then he returns to school for his MBA and JD. After that the dumbass Lions hire him as the team president? Are you fucking kidding me? He had no practical business experience other than from a textbook.

If you want to see three perfect examples of why the Ford family have been idiots as owners look no further than the Lewand hiring, the Millen hiring, and the Mayhew hiring and subsequent promotion. It should come as no surprise to anyone that we have stunk for the last 15 years when the bozos in charge are staggeringly unqualified for the positions they hold.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the Lions fluff piece on him. Where is the actual work experience? He completes his undergrad work and goes to work as an Environmental Advisor? LOL. If he was the Head Groundskeeper that would make sense.

Then he worked at a law firm. But he wasn't an attorney, he didn't go to law school for another couple years. That job must have been high level right? I'm seeing BSL all over that. Make coffee and send faxes cause he wasn't qualified for anything else.

Then he interns for the summer at the White House in some form of personnel dept. Then he returns to school for his MBA and JD. After that the dumbass Lions hire him as the team president? Are you fucking kidding me? He had no practical business experience other than from a textbook.

If you want to see three perfect examples of why the Ford family have been idiots as owners look no further than the Lewand hiring, the Millen hiring, and the Mayhew hiring and subsequent promotion. It should come as no surprise to anyone that we have stunk for the last 15 years when the bozos in charge are staggeringly unqualified for the positions they hold.

Actually they didn't hire him straight to team president.

He was hired in 1997 as a "capologist" which is a position the NFL created for all teams since the implementation of the salary cap. He headed up the stadium development since they were looking to build Ford Field. It was said that his almost decade as scUM's team manager under Schembechler and Moeller helped him gain experience around coaches and players and operational aspects.

“He told me when he hired me that he had seen people with an MBA and with a law degree, but never anybody who had both and also had a football background,” Lewand said. “I think that at least provided a degree of credibility for me with the coaches and personnel people here. You understand how a football team functions and what your coaches’ needs are and your GM’s needs are. You understand that your role in managing the salary cap is to support them.”

I know you'll just make more fun of this info I've given, and that's your right. But I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions you seemed to have had. He did have practical experience before gaining the team president title, it probably just isn't up your standards.

Again, I'm not advocating Lewand as Man-of-the-Year or Shitbag-of-the-Year, just simply giving you info you're asking for. If it's not good enough I'll simply quit researching. As it is, none of the info I've given has come from the Lions. It's all come from different magazines and interviews from other people.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Got a giggle from that reference:suds:

Still wonder who was FaxBoyBobbie on CBS? Sure is hard to troll here. It was easy to fuck with people over there.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike you are correct we could have drafted that way. I was not huge on Ebron either. Do you really think a rookie was going to save the defense this year? Still be in same boat with a rookie covering these IMO.
Where I will agree a top tier projected CB this year means solid play in a few years from a spot they have been sub standard for awhile.

Absolutely not. I don't think any rookie, including the OSU CB taken ahead of Detroit, could have stepped in from day 1 and be an impact player at the CB position. I DO think if we had drafted a CB in the 1st round, they would have immediately been the best CB on our roster though. Do the Lions just not spend a 1st round pick ever on a CB, because they take time to develop in the NFL though?

Personally -- I don't understand passing on Dennard. He was on an island in MSU's defense for the last two years. Teams only completed 3 passes over 15 yards or something ridiculous on him last season. Detroit is changing to a defense where we they are going to playing a lot of man -- Why not get the guy considered one of, if not the best, at man coverage?!?

I am just still baffled at the Lions using a top 10 pick on a TE. I cringe every time I've read in the Freep or News how he has had quite a few issues with drops in OTA's. Also -- does anyone else find it odd, that prior to Ebron being drafted at #10, that the highest a TE had been drafted in the last 5 years is Brandon Pettigrew by the Lions. UGH.

Sorry to get off track. I'm still irked by our 1st round pick.:laugh3:

I sure hope Ebron has a monster year and shuts me up.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This was my answer in the "first judge for yourselves" thread. You loathe Mayhew and Lewand. Don't hate them. Blame the Ford family for running a shitty business.