• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Josh Gordon to Take Time Away from Football to Focus on his Mental Health

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it goes w/o saying that you have a serious problem if a habit of any kind cost you your job.

My good friend wife is (was, she just retired) clinical therapist for the VA hospital downtown. The vast majority of her clients are war veterans that are strung out on some kind of street or prescription drug...heroin, crack, meth, alcohol, opioids...most of them. Very few if any, she said are hooked on pot.
Those are people who risked their lives for our freedom. They deserve the sympathy not people like Josh Gordon.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised he lasted as long as he did... Best of luck to him.

This could actually help the Patriots. Now Brady won't continue to force it to Gordon and perhaps actually White will be more involved with the offense. Won't matter too much if Edelman can't hold onto the ball

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the point.

Gordon has an ADDICTION problem that affects his entire life. He’s gotta get a handle on the ADDICTION.

IMO it’s not ok to say “it’s only weed”. If an alcoholic drinks alcohol (which is legal) we don’t say it’s “ok”.
Yep, this is definitely a serious issue that goes beyond just choosing to smoke.

However, the only thing I'll say against him is he shouldn't have chosen to come back if he knew this was still a problem because he just put 52 teammates plus coaches in a really tough spot right now. Probably should have just stayed away.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This could actually help the Patriots. Now Brady won't continue to force it to Gordon and perhaps actually White will be more involved with the offense. Won't matter too much if Edelman can't hold onto the ball

Did Brady force it to Gordon? Surely doesn't look like it.

Carnzo

Go Pats!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, this is definitely a serious issue that goes beyond just choosing to smoke.

However, the only thing I'll say against him is he shouldn't have chosen to come back if he knew this was still a problem because he just put 52 teammates plus coaches in a really tough spot right now. Probably should have just stayed away.
Nah. We the fans enjoyed watching him play and gain those yards.
Please note that I loved Hernandez as well, before the 3* murders.
(* acquitted of 2 when he offed himself)
<Hey I'm not looking for a saint to play ball>

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Losing another weapon in Gordon will just add to the Bradys legacy when the Pats win another SB! :D

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other thing I'll say is if he's only doing this because he knew he got busted and it's a cop out to make himself a victim then screw him.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon indefinitely suspended, meaning out at least a year.

Played 11 games, so Pats gave up a 5th round pick for 3 TD's and get nothing back from the Browns. Probably not a huge price to pay, but wonder if they would do it again.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For using a recreational substance legalized more and more around the country, including medicinal uses. The NFL needs to step away from the idea that marijuana should be a penalized drug. Do they test for alcohol?

Should not matter where it's legalized at,thepoint is they are not changing the rules midseason,he has been in hot water time and time again for this with suspensions with warnings of lifetime banment,and you want the NFL to look the other way when Josh Gordon yet again slapped them right in the face and more less said f_you.......

You give me millions a year and I'd give up sex till I retired......Some people just don't get it.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is absolutely absurd that a sports league takes disciplinary action against player that smoke pot in this day and age, but as I said yesterday in the Eric Reid thread, the players voted to keep DeMaurice Smith on board as head of the NFLPA and he is too feckless to take on the owners as it pertains to this issue.

That being said, Josh Gordon is just plain dumb for blowing what will likely be his last chance because he can't lay off the weed. :L

Just because something in your opinion should be legal, doesn't mean a company shouldn't have their own rules and standards. Alcohol is legal to buy, but what company keeps an employee that drinks and drives. Sure weed is different, but don't assume you know it is just weed with Gordon.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy to point a finger when you've never been addicted to anything. Cigarettes, Alcohol, Drugs.

I must be an addict .....I take 13 prescription drugs and inject insulin 5 times a day.

Addiction is a mental disorder, it is not comparable

Reactions: DJ

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got too long of a history.
Expelled from high school
Suspended from college
Caught selling weed
Multiple suspensions from the NFL
But he has fans, people have low standards.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because something in your opinion should be legal, doesn't mean a company shouldn't have their own rules and standards. Alcohol is legal to buy, but what company keeps an employee that drinks and drives. Sure weed is different, but don't assume you know it is just weed with Gordon.

Unless the job involves driving, plenty of companies will keep an productive employee on board after a DUI.

I didn't assume his suspension was due to weed, which is legal to buy in MA.

Anything else you'd like to discuss?

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gordon indefinitely suspended, meaning out at least a year.

Played 11 games, so Pats gave up a 5th round pick for 3 TD's and get nothing back from the Browns. Probably not a huge price to pay, but wonder if they would do it again.

7th rounder.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7th rounder.

Found this article from espn. Josh Gordon's tenure in Cleveland ends w/ trade to Pats (9-18-18).

The article says the Browns gotta 5th rounder. The Pats get a 7th rounder if Gordon's not active for 10 weeks. He started 11 games.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not giving up his career to satisfy anything. He is giving up his career because he got caught again.

Guys who piss on their lottery ticket because they cant put the bong or bottle down get no sympathy from me.

I am not saying we should feel sorry for him his net worth alone from the Cleveland browns puts him at about 4-5million

I think the patriots told him to come out and say that he is stepping away from football before the story of him testing hot comes out to help with the news story and force the team to figure out what to do with him.

I think it goes w/o saying that you have a serious problem if a habit of any kind cost you your job.

My good friend wife is (was, she just retired) clinical therapist for the VA hospital downtown. The vast majority of her clients are war veterans that are strung out on some kind of street or prescription drug...heroin, crack, meth, alcohol, opioids...most of them. Very few if any, she said are hooked on pot.

I thank her for her service helping veterans at the VA. Just because many people are or it is a norm to be addicted to those types of drugs but you cant push someone who is dealing with marijuana or whatever substance he tested hot for. like I said when he blew up that year with the browns he probably would have been in line for a contract around 20 million similar to odell. He was willing to throw that away to become under the influence

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found this article from espn. Josh Gordon's tenure in Cleveland ends w/ trade to Pats (9-18-18).

The article says the Browns gotta 5th rounder. The Pats get a 7th rounder if Gordon's not active for 10 weeks. He started 11 games.

I stand corrected.