• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

John Schneider is the man, but he straight up just wastes his 1st round picks.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK .... 4 picks today.... 2nd and 3 Thirds! In Pete and John we trust...

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm good with this pick. Even for most Oline prospects taken in the 1st, it takes years to develop into an effective starter. Okung didn't light the world on fire his first year. He took time to develop and he still always had issues with his ankles and feet.

Oline is all about development and coaching. It's a weird science. I don't think we wasted a pick here, but at the same time, Ifedi is going to have a learning curve. Given his size and experience, he could become a starter on the Oline and that's exactly what you want.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Draft- Great pick, Great trade, needed more oline help.

Going to bed- Great pick, great trade, needed more online help.

Wake up and check again- Wasted pick, D line are main concern, Cable can't coach so waste of pick.

did I miss anything??

:2cents:

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got an O lineman that was ranked 66th in pass blocking and 20 something in run blocking. That's mid round stuff right there. No round has more pro bowl talent than the 1st round. Its where the top talent goes for the most part.

And yes I'm aware we do excellent in the later rounds, that's awesome. But is it not possible for us to just pick up a guy who was a complete stud in college with our 1st pick? Myles Jack? Ndweche? Ndweche going to the Cards right after we traded back was a complete buzz kill.

John Schneider admitted that they were going to go either Oline or Dline with their first pick. Which basically means they don't believe in the best player available mentality. I'm all for filling needs, but if a for sure talent falls to you, you should hop on that. Ifedi better not suck.

Well Congratulations....

You have posted the stupidest thing that I have seen on this board ever....

And i had to deal with Breaker

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just trying to respond to the points and not the emotion:

We got an O lineman that was ranked 66th in pass blocking and 20 something in run blocking. That's mid round stuff right there. No round has more pro bowl talent than the 1st round. Its where the top talent goes for the most part.

Ranked 66th by whom? PFF? They also ranked Sweezey like 60th in the league last year for guards or something like that, and he ends up with $6M a year from the Jets. Sites like PFF are worthwhile, but they are not the end all, be all. It's pretty clear the Seahawks scout and draft for their team and not the rest of the league. Hard to fault them based on the amount of success they've had the last 4 years.

And yes I'm aware we do excellent in the later rounds, that's awesome. But is it not possible for us to just pick up a guy who was a complete stud in college with our 1st pick? Myles Jack? Ndweche? Ndweche going to the Cards right after we traded back was a complete buzz kill.
I winced when Nkemdiche when to AZ because it's clear that they are building a strength to match up directly with our weakness (traded for Chandler Jones as well), but again I go back to the point above: JS & PS pick their guys, not the guys who grade out the best in Athlon's. We all think guys like Myles Jack and Nkemdiche are the clear choices that our team doesn't make because that's what we are told about these players -- our perception is based primarily on what we hear about the most popular players. The teams have access to a lot more information.

John Schneider admitted that they were going to go either Oline or Dline with their first pick. Which basically means they don't believe in the best player available mentality. I'm all for filling needs, but if a for sure talent falls to you, you should hop on that. Ifedi better not suck.
Where did he admit this? Hard to believe, would like to see a link or the actual statement. Schneider has said many times they take the player that is the best value/fit for their team. Pretty consistent with that talking point actually.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just want as close to for sure talent as you can get with the 1st pick. I don't want the guys that need to be "coached up". That's what the mid rounds are for. Ifedi isn't going to be a star, I guarantee it. And I guarantee there will be a couple stars around our pick.

Most if not all o-line guys need to be coached up. In today's NCAA, colleges aren't coaching o-line guys proper technique which is why the % of o-lines in the NFL are horrible. So when a guy like Ifedi which was projected low first to mid second and needs a little coaching, you take him now to provide stability to the line. The guy can learn and we need the help. Our stars on the team are hard workers with a team first attitude and many of them aren't first round draft picks.

briwas83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Schneider was quoted in the Seattle Times just the other day as saying they draft for BPA at position of need (same thing I've said for 10+ years).

The problem is how they grade players (SPARQ is not proving to be a good indicator of success). They grade players differently, sometimes with great success (early PCJS) and sometimes with absolute failure (awful 2013 and 2014 drafts). Also, you gave rankings for his blocking but not everyone gave him those rankings.

2. Yes the Hawks have done a horrible job with 1st rounders the last few years.

That being said, Ifedi is in better condition than Carpenter and seems interested in learning (though I think Cable's the wrong guy for that...) so I have a hard time not seeing that as an improvement over the Carp pick.

3. Ifedi doesn't have to be "their guy," he only needs to be "one of their guys." The Hawks didn't trade back with only one guy in mind and then freak out that he got taken. The board seemed to fall their way decently (good OL and DL talent available) and there were enough guys available that they felt comfortable trading back.

Is there a chance that in hindsight they wish they stayed? Quite possibly. Maybe they kind of felt they WOULD get their favorite out of the group, but they made a calculated effort. As for the 3rd rounder, that pick turned into Nick Vannett who is supposed to be the best blocking TE in the draft. Even if Ifedi is a bust we still upgraded our blocking.

Is it a bummer to not get a bona-fide stud in the first round? Yes it is, but it's also a bummer to not make the playoffs. Every playoff team deals with this.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Half the guys taken top 10 will bust, the draft is a complete crap shoot.