• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, once the Chargers move into a new stadium, this negative narrative about them will largely pass. And Bosa is not really the difference maker who will change the Chargers' win/loss record. Which means the Chargers have every incentive to stay the course with their negotiating strategy & contract stances.

Bosa on the other hand, can & will lose big by staying the course. There is no way around this fact.

And to support my theory on a new stadium helping to clear the perceptions of a franchise's ownership/management, I give you the Arizona Cardinals.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your opinion is noted

And being Greedy about your first contract and your future is not a bad thing in My opinion both sides are trying to get the best they can plain and simple

San Diego has treated players like used cars in the past Ask Tomlinson about that

its about contract language not money

JMHO others will vary
i agree SD has had a bad past with contracts but in this case they are already giving max. they cant offer more. bosa is getting the best contract. yes we know there is s kicker but like most posted it doesnt affect bosa. he still gets paid the same amount. i hooe they work it out because i want to see what he can do on tbe field. he already will miss at least 1st 2 games of the season. Get it done and play some football. thats my advice.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said earlier, once the Chargers move into a new stadium, this negative narrative about them will largely pass. And Bosa is not really the difference maker who will change the Chargers' win/loss record. Which means the Chargers have every incentive to stay the course with their negotiating strategy & contract stances.

Bosa on the other hand, can & will lose big by staying the course. There is no way around this fact.

And to support my theory on a new stadium helping to clear the perceptions of a franchise's ownership/management, I give you the Arizona Cardinals.

One problem with your theory is a Stadium getting built in San Diego is not guaranteed.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think finding 2 veteran QBs (Warner and Palmer) to make your team relevant again (and play in arguably the greatest Super Bowl of all time) had more to do it with than nice digs.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the chargers, I'd be worried about the long term damage this could do. Not to Bosa, but to the team. Forget about this season. What about 2017 and beyond? Think about what college players are thinking of this situation. They see a team not giving a player what all the others before him got in that spot. That's definitely what ANY agent will tell them--SD will be tight with the money and hard to deal with. If SD is picking in the top 5 again next year, we could see an Eli situation all over again. I could easily see a player tweeting or even outright telling the Chargers not to draft him unless they plan on either nondeferred or no offset.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were the chargers, I'd be worried about the long term damage this could do. Not to Bosa, but to the team. Forget about this season. What about 2017 and beyond? Think about what college players are thinking of this situation. They see a team not giving a player what all the others before him got in that spot. That's definitely what ANY agent will tell them--SD will be tight with the money and hard to deal with. If SD is picking in the top 5 again next year, we could see an Eli situation all over again. I could easily see a player tweeting or even outright telling the Chargers not to draft him unless they plan on either nondeferred or no offset.

The Chargers offered a fair deal. It might have taken them a longer time than necessary to get their, but the offer was fair.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Mannings once again proving they're smarter than everyone else.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers offered a fair deal. It might have taken them a longer time than necessary to get their, but the offer was fair.

Bosa offered a fairer deal from day 1......

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think finding 2 veteran QBs (Warner and Palmer) to make your team relevant again (and play in arguably the greatest Super Bowl of all time) had more to do it with than nice digs.

Then you really have no idea what the landscape was like around here before & after the stadium was built or how the perception of ownership had changed long before Palmer had arrived in the desert.

Edit: The big toaster has been sold out for every game since day one, a few years before the team went to the SB. And it remained sold out during the post Warner QB carousel years.

Last edited:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasn't sure on Bosa until I saw his Pro Day. He was spectacular. He did all the drills with the D-Line & the LB's. Bosa was by far the best player on the field that day. It wasn't even close.

I think if he's lined up next to a stud DT in a 4-3 alignment...he will make some plays at this level...especially against a RT, but as a 3-4 DE...playing at 280ish is not going to hold that edge to well vs 300+ OGs vs the run and he's going to be have to be awfully quick to make a difference in pass rush from that position.

He should do okay in pass as a 3-4 OLB, but coverage I'm not sure...mid you, this is based on seeing the kid play maybe 4-6 times total so I could be way off base.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz is getting 1M paid in January...same season, but not the same year, and definitely not all up front, hence deferred, IMO.

I get that is also slightly different than Bosa, as they wanted in March in the 2017 season...so maybe we are agreeing, but using different views of "year". :)
I thought I read it was all the same calendar year, but maybe they meant league year. :noidea: Not sure, and I can't find it now.

I did read that Bosa came down some from wanting all of his signing bonus this year, he just didn't think the Chargers offered enough. And if Wentz is getting all but $1 million, that's still a lot higher percentage than what Bosa was offered.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many 3-4 DE/DT, not NT, are truly big time play makers? There really aren't many. It's not a glamorous position. That is why I think the Chargers picking him at #3 was a poor pick. I just don't see him as a big time difference maker, that is what you are looking for when you pick that high. But I do think he could have a good solid career.

Edit: I don't really count JJ Watt because he spends a lot of time not having his hand on the ground.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of you are confusing new year with "new league year".

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers have always been terrible at this but set the precedent last year for the way they handled Eric Weddle and it's continuing with Bosa.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosworth 2.0

p13236_d_v8_aa.jpg

Anyone see this? No? I'm the only one? Okay.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say a stadium in San Diego. Moving into a new stadium in LA will have a similar effect.

Main problem there is something that I have always maintained - I believe that sustaining 2 NFL franchises in LA over the long term will be very, very difficult unless they are constantly successful. Too many diversions, too many transplants, too many folks fixated on the Lakers & Dodgers. I was there for quite a while when the Raiders & Rams were in LA and most folks didn't care a lot about those teams. Having a hard time imagining both of these teams having a long string of sellouts or near sellouts.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bad was it? If it's not 'sucks even if you're stoned' bad, I'll watch it.

I can't speak to the sucks even if you're stoned aspect, as I've never been stoned, but it is pretty ridiculous.