• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but, keeping it simple.

NBA/NHL/MLB...player signs for 4/20mil...barring something really unusual, that player is going to cash all of that contract.

NFL...4/20mil with $6 mil guaranteed...he's most likely not going to cash all of that contract.

Yeah they agreed to it via CBA, but that doesn't make it fair, it makes it acceptable.

The NFL is different from other sports. It's rare in the NBA for a player to truly have an injury that ruins his career where he can't play at an NBA level anymore. But if an NBA player gets a 3 year 12 mil deal where year 3 is a team option for 4 million, isn't that the same as an NFL player getting 3 years 12 mil with 8 mil guaranteed?

I think it's fair. I think most non-QB positions would get screwed if the NFL guaranteed all salaries. Currently you have those partial year guarantees where the team isn't going to fully guarantee a 3rd year for example, but with the partial, it gives incentive to keep the guy (maybe not worth the 8 mil in year 3 but with half that guaranteed anyways, it's worth keeping him if losing him only saves 4 mil). And it gives him a chance not only to play for more than his current value would have been in year 3, but if he has a turnaround that year, he gets a chance to get year 4 of that deal as well. In a fully guaranteed contract the team would just be giving him 2 years. I think we'd have a lot more movement (shorter deals, more chances at FA) and a lot more use of the franchise tags which isn't good for the league.

Take Arthur Moats on the Steelers. 3 years, 1.9 mil guaranteed on a 7.5 mil total contract. If a contract is fully guaranteed, that deal is only being guaranteed for the first year right? But with his signing bonus, year 3 he costs 3.1 mil against the cap, but you only save 1.9 mil if you move him. So if he's playing at an ok level, maybe not worth that 3 mil but close, you keep him on for 2016. In a fully guaranteed world, he's playing for a contract last year. Which is a year he slowly headed more into a 2 down only role, and ended with a major injury (torn pec). Now he's hitting FA with that on his record, where instead Pitt I believe has kept him on the roster since they already have invested 1.3 mil into him no matter what.

Outside of your stars, it would be very tough to get more than a 1 year deal for any player. Lots of movement for those players, no consistency for the team outside of the rookies... Free agency would be exciting as heck, but I don't think that kind of constant team turnover would be a good thing.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bosa's mom doing what she can to make the situation worse by tweeting an article about this situation when she should just keep quiet.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is different from other sports. It's rare in the NBA for a player to truly have an injury that ruins his career where he can't play at an NBA level anymore. But if an NBA player gets a 3 year 12 mil deal where year 3 is a team option for 4 million, isn't that the same as an NFL player getting 3 years 12 mil with 8 mil guaranteed?

I think it's fair. I think most non-QB positions would get screwed if the NFL guaranteed all salaries. Currently you have those partial year guarantees where the team isn't going to fully guarantee a 3rd year for example, but with the partial, it gives incentive to keep the guy (maybe not worth the 8 mil in year 3 but with half that guaranteed anyways, it's worth keeping him if losing him only saves 4 mil). And it gives him a chance not only to play for more than his current value would have been in year 3, but if he has a turnaround that year, he gets a chance to get year 4 of that deal as well. In a fully guaranteed contract the team would just be giving him 2 years. I think we'd have a lot more movement (shorter deals, more chances at FA) and a lot more use of the franchise tags which isn't good for the league.

Take Arthur Moats on the Steelers. 3 years, 1.9 mil guaranteed on a 7.5 mil total contract. If a contract is fully guaranteed, that deal is only being guaranteed for the first year right? But with his signing bonus, year 3 he costs 3.1 mil against the cap, but you only save 1.9 mil if you move him. So if he's playing at an ok level, maybe not worth that 3 mil but close, you keep him on for 2016. In a fully guaranteed world, he's playing for a contract last year. Which is a year he slowly headed more into a 2 down only role, and ended with a major injury (torn pec). Now he's hitting FA with that on his record, where instead Pitt I believe has kept him on the roster since they already have invested 1.3 mil into him no matter what.

Outside of your stars, it would be very tough to get more than a 1 year deal for any player. Lots of movement for those players, no consistency for the team outside of the rookies... Free agency would be exciting as heck, but I don't think that kind of constant team turnover would be a good thing.

Good post.

The guarantees are increasing in the NFL, so they are addressing it in their own way.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat surprised to see LT on ESPN this morning basically saying that Bosa needs to get his butt into camp. I kind of thought that he might take the other side.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat surprised to see LT on ESPN this morning basically saying that Bosa needs to get his butt into camp. I kind of thought that he might take the other side.
hes pissed he didnt get what he wanted neither:suds:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hes pissed he didnt get what he wanted neither:suds:

A little but not really. He spoke very unemotionally. LT's main pt was that the difference in his negotiations was substantially more than for Bosa at this time & a player needs to play or else risk all types of problems if he waits & reenters draft next year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A little but not really. He spoke very unemotionally. LT's main pt was that the difference in his negotiations was substantially more than for Bosa at this time & a player needs to play or else risk all types of problems if he waits & reenters draft next year.

IMO, financially he's going to take a huge hit, but the only real benefit to Bosa re-entering the draft next year is he will most likely drop out of the top 10 and go to a better team...SD plays a 3-4 I believe, and I'm still of the opinion he's not a good 3-4 fit...could be wrong, but he just looks like a 4-3 DE to me.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck are the Chargers doing? Really dumb to haggle with a guy you identified as a franchise changer just 4 months ago.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he will sign, to the last contract they offered and play this year.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling he would cave before the season started. Or shortly after week one.

And the Chargers didn't even budge. The Chargers just changed the offset language to roster bonuses similar to Dion Jordan's contract. It amounts to basically the same as offsets. And the signing bonus remains a 85/15% split for 16/17, the same as it was before. He just gets some of the 2016 dates moved up.

Other than some minor language tweaking, Bosa accomplished nothing positive with his holdout.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had a feeling he would cave before the season started. Or shortly after week one.

And the Chargers didn't even budge. The Chargers just changed the offset language to roster bonuses similar to Dion Jordan's contract. It amounts to basically the same as offsets. And the signing bonus remains a 85/15% split for 16/17, the same as it was before. He just gets some of the 2016 dates moved up.

Other than some minor language tweaking, Bosa accomplished nothing positive with his holdout.

giphy.gif

eVNrdel.gif

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Except SD did change their "best and final" offer from last week that was supposedly off the table and would be reduced once it was declined. He got more of the 85% immediately and he got roster bonuses guaranteed even for non-football injury.

Bosa may not have gained much with this holdout, but I feel like SD lost a lot more in bad pub. Unless they are actually trying to have their stadium vote fail.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except SD did change their "best and final" offer from last week that was supposedly off the table and would be reduced once it was declined. He got more of the 85% immediately and he got roster bonuses guaranteed even for non-football injury.

Bosa may not have gained much with this holdout, but I feel like SD lost a lot more in bad pub. Unless they are actually trying to have their stadium vote fail.

Bosa gained absolutely nothing from holdout day one till now. You can spin it anyway you want, but day one of the holdout is the standard. He had everything to lose for a very little gain. And in the end, signed a deal that financially, was not much different than the original offer.

So what exactly was the point of the holdout?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosa got the same money he would have received in April and as always the 1st 3 years of a top rookie contract are fully guaranteed. He's managed to avoid camp, any risk of injury, all possible fines, and he has a 100% solid excuse for sucking in his 1st year. If a veteran had gotten away with that it would be considered a huge win for them. lol. :heh:

What do the Chargers get? Well they'll have $200K more in leverage if Bosa wants to hold out in year 4, and they could get $700k back if they cut Bosa and he plays for another team. Other than that they've pretty much wasted 25% of a $25.87M rookie contract. :rolleyes2:

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bosa gained absolutely nothing from holdout day one till now. You can spin it anyway you want, but day one of the holdout is the standard. He had everything to lose for a very little gain. And in the end, signed a deal that financially, was not much different than the original offer.

Exactly. Which is why I thought he just didn't want to play for the Chargers... As stupid as that may have been.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only holdout by a top 3 pick that came this close to the season since 2000 was.... Drumroll...

swya0o.jpg

Calm

What say there fuzzy britches, feel like talkin'?
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's really pretty simple. He got more of his money now than he was offered in the first place. Which means his money is working for him now instead of working for the team.