• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joey Bosa...not signed, which side do you fall?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been extremely poorly handled by both parties.

Bosa is asking for either the offset or the bigger signing bonus, but not sure how much of the up front signing bonus he is asking for (reportedly quite a bit). Regardless he's going to get all of the signing bonus by his 2nd year so wtf is his problem? Is he going to spend it all now?

Chargers were morons for basically defaming Bosa by publicly coming out with the info. and what Bosa's party was asking for.

Either way it's been a ridiculous affair by both parties and highlights why Bosa is a moron and why the Chargers FO is inept. I for one have enjoyed it immensely.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cut the money amount down and people would be clearly pro Bosa.

It's about the money. People just don't want to admit it.

It's the same with Ray Rice, Vick etc.

Of course the magnitude of the dollar is in play here, but if the money shrank considerably (say 21st spot and lower) this wouldn't be a topic because the money is not all guaranteed, thus no need for offset and the bonus is a fraction of this so deferring is not worth it to the team.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to try this one more time.

The money is irrelevant because it's slotted. There's nothing to negotiate about how much he gets paid.

Here's the sticking point: the Chargers want to defer some of the signing bonus AND put offset language in the contract. Bosa has said he's good with one or the other, but not both, because he doesn't want to be the first player drafted in the top 5 since the new cba was signed to have both.

That's it. That's what they're fighting over.

This is false. He would not be the first player to have both. As stated before, both Wentz and Elliot have agreed to off-set language and have a portion of their bonus deferred. Just more of an FYI:

Carson Wentz signs contract that includes offset language

There are plenty of examples of teams and their high first-round picks agreeing to deals with and without offsets and deferred signing bonus. At the top of this year's draft, first-overall pick Jared Goff has deferrals but no offset language. Carson Wentz at number two has offset language, but only $1 million deferred signing bonus (and that will be paid in January). Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot signed a deal with both offset and deferrals (further emboldening San Diego).

The time is now for Bosa, Chargers to compromise before his rookie season is a washout

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given their current position w/ their own stadium situation & possibly moving to LA I am somewhat surprised at the hard line by the Chargers - seems very short sighted to me. However - many rich folks & NFL owners in particular often do whatever they hell they want. I can't imagine that their fanbase is behind them on this one but perhaps I am wrong. Of course winning cures that, but this situation certainly doesn't help them in that area.

If the Chargers were doing something wrong...no way I could support them, but they're operating within the CBA.

It sucks for SD fans I'm sure...you'd think they would squash this and be out marketing Bosa. I know some will tout not in the top 5, etc. but other teams (DAL #4 has offset & deferment) do exactly what the Chargers are doing and we haven't heard a word about it.

How this will effect the stadium...idk, but like you said, winning cures that.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Chargers were doing something wrong...no way I could support them, but they're operating within the CBA.

It sucks for SD fans I'm sure...you'd think they would squash this and be out marketing Bosa. I know some will tout not in the top 5, etc. but other teams (DAL #4 has offset & deferment) do exactly what the Chargers are doing and we haven't heard a word about it.

and #2 Wentz, before Bosa. In fact, SD's offer is very close to Wentz deferment offer. Wentz only has 1M deferred, SD was asking for 3M deferred.

Winning is always the great equalizer with fans. Fans justify a lot of B.S. because their team wins. Just look at the Patriot fans around here (ducks for cover...KIDDING I'M KIDDING!) :suds:

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really compare NFL contracts to MLB contracts because of the MLB's ability to artificially keep players salary below market value for 5+ years. But just to make it clear, most MLB players can't double dip.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't really compare NFL contracts to MLB contracts because of the MLB's ability to artificially keep players salary below market value for 5+ years. But just to make it clear, most MLB players can't double dip.
You are correct. If a player is released and still owed $5M on a contract, any team that signs him only pays the difference if they offer more than what is owed on the original contract.

So, if player A is released and signed for $2M by another team, the original team only has to pay $3M to the player, not all $5M. The only way that the player can collect all $5M from the original team is if team B signs a player for MORE than $5M.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Winning? The Chargers are going to have to outscore teams to win this year. Sorry, but I don't think they'll win more than 6 games.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and #2 Wentz, before Bosa. In fact, SD's offer is very close to Wentz deferment offer. Wentz only has 1M deferred, SD was asking for 3M deferred.

Winning is always the great equalizer with fans. Fans justify a lot of B.S. because their team wins. Just look at the Patriot fans around here (ducks for cover...KIDDING I'M KIDDING!) :suds:

What's hidden here, is the AFCW is up for grabs. Chargers might not be the strongest, but they feel like the have their OL issues solved, a solid QB/WR1, older but still good TE, solid young RB that might be ready to got to another level...DEF needs to more pcs but this can be a .500 to 9 win team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winning? The Chargers are going to have to outscore teams to win this year. Sorry, but I don't think they'll win more than 6 games.

Trying to be positive, but if you saw my spreadsheet of predictions this yr...exactly 6-10...ironic.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. If a player is released and still owed $5M on a contract, any team that signs him only pays the difference if they offer more than what is owed on the original contract.

So, if player A is released and signed for $2M by another team, the original team only has to pay $3M to the player, not all $5M. The only way that the player can collect all $5M from the original team is if team B signs a player for MORE than $5M.

More often than not, Player A is signed by Team B to a prorated portion of the league minimum & Team A is on the hook for the difference in salary.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Given their current position w/ their own stadium situation & possibly moving to LA I am somewhat surprised at the hard line by the Chargers - seems very short sighted to me. However - many rich folks & NFL owners in particular often do whatever they hell they want. I can't imagine that their fanbase is behind them on this one but perhaps I am wrong. Of course winning cures that, but this situation certainly doesn't help them in that area.
Conspiracy theory: maybe they're doing this intentionally to sabotage the vote so it loses and they can move somewhere else.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole fight is clearly about deferring the signing bonus, the rest of it is dictated by the deal between the owners and union on rookie scales, right?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is false. He would not be the first player to have both. As stated before, both Wentz and Elliot have agreed to off-set language and have a portion of their bonus deferred. Just more of an FYI:

Carson Wentz signs contract that includes offset language

There are plenty of examples of teams and their high first-round picks agreeing to deals with and without offsets and deferred signing bonus. At the top of this year's draft, first-overall pick Jared Goff has deferrals but no offset language. Carson Wentz at number two has offset language, but only $1 million deferred signing bonus (and that will be paid in January). Ezekiel Elliott in the fourth spot signed a deal with both offset and deferrals (further emboldening San Diego).

The time is now for Bosa, Chargers to compromise before his rookie season is a washout
Wentz agreed to the offset language, but not the deferred signing bonus. It's coming all in the same year. Not sure about Elliot, I'd have to look into that one.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz agreed to the offset language, but not the deferred signing bonus. It's coming all in the same year. Not sure about Elliot, I'd have to look into that one.

Wentz is getting 1M paid in January...same season, but not the same year, and definitely not all up front, hence deferred, IMO.

I get that is also slightly different than Bosa, as they wanted in March in the 2017 season...so maybe we are agreeing, but using different views of "year". :)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect a long year for the Chargers. If Bosa doesn't sign & goes back into the draft it could get very ugly.

With 37 page of comments I haven't really touched on Bosa the player much...to be honest I was lukewarm on him coming into the draft...I know he can pass rush, but he's too small to be a legit 3-4 DE and maybe not the athlete to be a standout 3-4 OLB...his perfect fit I felt was 4-3 DE....now I might not find out any time soon.

I still think he's going to sign and if he does it fairly quickly, I think the Chargers will pay him all of the cash for his rookie season.

I think the kid TB got in the 2nd rd, Noah Spence, is going to be pretty good.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 37 page of comments I haven't really touched on Bosa the player much...to be honest I was lukewarm on him coming into the draft...I know he can pass rush, but he's too small to be a legit 3-4 DE and maybe not the athlete to be a standout 3-4 OLB...his perfect fit I felt was 4-3 DE....now I might not find out any time soon.

I still think he's going to sign and if he does it fairly quickly, I think the Chargers will pay him all of the cash for his rookie season.

I agree with you, and to be honest, I'm not sold on his pass-rush. Many of his sacks came because of his "motor" and hustle, not because he flat out beat the guy and took down the QB in a flash. He relied heavily, at times, on plays being extended for him to get to the QB.

I think he'll be a solid DL in the NFL, I just don't see him being a true IMPACT pass-rush guy that one would think about taking 3rd over-all.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree SD was not the best for him to begin with.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wasn't sure on Bosa until I saw his Pro Day. He was spectacular. He did all the drills with the D-Line & the LB's. Bosa was by far the best player on the field that day. It wasn't even close.