• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joel Klatt's conference rankings

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice spin. ha ha

Who do you think are the good teams in the B10?

What spin? It's not like I removed 3 teams from the Big10 and then tried to pretend that was the conference.

Ohio St is usually good, but not great lately. Michigan is over-rated and Wisconsin is a top20 team on an easy schedule getting top10 rankings.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but plenty of people were saying that Penn State should be going over Ohio State because they won the head to head and won the conference.

If Auburn had won out, Alabama wouldn't have been in the playoffs last year for those reasons IMO.

Georgia opened the door for both teams.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What spin? It's not like I removed 3 teams from the Big10 and then tried to pretend that was the conference.

Ohio St is usually good, but not great lately. Michigan is over-rated and Wisconsin is a top20 team on an easy schedule getting top10 rankings.
And Michigan is like the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Michigan is like the 5th or 6th best team in the conference.

In reality yes, in how people generally judge the Big10 - I disagree.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, you simply opened up the thread with "the B10 is a joke".

So I just need to be clear here, the rankings are wrong on PSU, MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin? And Ohio State is good, not great?

What about the top 4-5 SEC teams, are there any "great" teams besides Alabama? I mean, by your above statement it seems like the B10 doesn't have any great teams this year.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In reality yes, in how people generally judge the Big10 - I disagree.
Yes because general public is dumb. They are the same people that think Texas is a great team, just ignore all evidence.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you simply opened up the thread with "the B10 is a joke".

So I just need to be clear here, the rankings are wrong on PSU, MSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin? And Ohio State is good, not great?

What about the top 4-5 SEC teams, are there any "great" teams besides Alabama? I mean, by your above statement it seems like the B10 doesn't have any great teams this year.

I took issue with calling the Big10 the best conference when they haven't scored a TD in a playoff game in over 3 years.

I posted my rankings in the rankings thread. I wouldn't bet on them, I did them off the top of my head etc, but it's my general thoughts on the topic.

As for the SEC teams, well - Alabama won the national championship against Georgia, so there are 2 teams right there.

Auburn on the other hand was apparently good enough to beat and claim a national championship off.

So there is a reason why those 3 teams keep getting thrown off. Yet not a single time have one of you thrown out a Big10 team in this discussion.

And those aren't the only SEC teams in the top25, those are just the ones in the top10ish. There is also LSU and Miss St who are also currently ranked.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I took issue with calling the Big10 the best conference when they haven't scored a TD in a playoff game in over 3 years.

I posted my rankings in the rankings thread. I wouldn't bet on them, I did them off the top of my head etc, but it's my general thoughts on the topic.

As for the SEC teams, well - Alabama won the national championship against Georgia, so there are 2 teams right there.

Auburn on the other hand was apparently good enough to beat and claim a national championship off.

So there is a reason why those 3 teams keep getting thrown off. Yet not a single time have one of you thrown out a Big10 team in this discussion.

And those aren't the only SEC teams in the top25, those are just the ones in the top10ish. There is also LSU and Miss St who are also currently ranked.

I've not yet argued that the B10 is the best...you are arguing that the SEC is the best. It seems that most of your opinions about the SEC teams and B10 teams this year, are based on last year's accomplishments. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think input enough of what each team lost into the equation.

If you want my opinion about the B10 teams....here they are:

OSU: Loaded...great team (I threw up in my mouth)
Wisconsin: An amazing O-line and a very good defense...I would say they are VERY good/boarderline great
MSU: They are a wildcard to me...no clue how to rank them. Danatonio can make a great team from scratch.
PSU: They lost most their offensive power from last year. I definitely think they are overrated.
Michigan: Their biggest weakness was QB. They got a 5* QB, who has experience. The defense should be amazing. Harbaugh has to prove he can coach a team up, but this team shouldn't take too much to be great. Unfortunately, they have a CRAZY schedule, that likely has at least 1-2 losses on it. I hope I'm wrong.
Iowa: Plays nobody, so will likely be a top 20 team by seasons end.
The rest really don't matter.

My opinion about the SEC teams:
Alabama: reloaded, and with a dynamic QB
Georgia: Lost the two HIGH END RB's, and they have a QB that hasn't felt much pressure. It won't matter though, they don't have much of a challenge on their schedule.
Auburn: I think they fall to earth from last year's high. I'll change my mind if they beat Washington though
LSU: I think they are chaotic
Florida, SCar, Miss St...wildcards...not clue what to think.

After saying all that, I'd take anyone's SEC schedule over Michigan's B10 schedule. I think the B10 is tougher...not by a lot...but tougher.

Last edited:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've not yet argued that the B10 is the best...you are arguing that the SEC is the best. It seems that most of your opinions about the SEC teams and B10 teams this year, are based on last year's accomplishments. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think input enough of what each team lost into the equation.

If you haven't done anything, then how can you claim to be anything?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the B10, as a conference, has done nothing?

If there is something the conference has done that warrants being called the best conference in college football I've apparently missed it.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know he is mocking MSU with that statement?
And what has Michigan State done to defend against that? We are part of the scoreless streak. If MSU goes out, wins the B1G and win a playoff game, then I can start chirping.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is something the conference has done that warrants being called the best conference in college football I've apparently missed it.

So the only measurement for conference quality is playoff success? Because outside of thst, they’ve done pretty well. They had a great bowl season last year, and several teams have several key returners from those teams.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what has Michigan State done to defend against that? We are part of the scoreless streak. If MSU goes out, wins the B1G and win a playoff game, then I can start chirping.

I absolutely agree! They haven’t achieved jack squat. :suds:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the only measurement for conference quality is playoff success? Because outside of thst, they’ve done pretty well. They had a great bowl season last year, and several teams have several key returners from those teams.

The SEC won 100% of the playoff games last year. I think that's pretty important. Especially since you turn around and talk about bowl games, because you know - that's the most important thing.

You had a great bowl season because you didn't send any teams to the playoffs. Do you understand how the bowl things work? You sent your best team to your top bowl invite, the Rose Bowl. Meanwhile, the SEC sent it's 3rd best team to it's top bowl.

AND, on top of that, the majority of your bowl games were against Pac12 teams. Even with all those advantages, Michigan STILL somehow managed to lose to South Carolina.

So once again, what in the fuck did the Big10 do that warrants being called the best conference in college football? Because Ohio St beat USC in the Rose Bowl? That's your fucking argument?