• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Theismann: "Tony Romo isn't that good"

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo is better than Brett Favre ever was, and if he had a #1 defense like Favre did in 1996, he would win a Super Bowl.

You are punishing the guy for his defense's failings.

I'm confused. How many picks did Ware throw on Monday? Was it more than 5?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brett Favre Career QB Rating: 86.0
Tony Romo Career QB Rating: 95.9

Romo Completion Percentage: 64.6
Favre Completion Percentage: 62.0

Romo TD Percentage: 5.6%
Favre TD Percentage: 5.0%

Romo Interception Percentage: 2.9%
Favre Interception Percentage: 3.3%

You forgot to include NFL MVP's and playoff victories.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm confused. How many picks did Ware throw on Monday? Was it more than 5?

I've already posted that the guy has a higher TD rate and lower interception rate than Favre over his entire career, but I guess it makes sense that your one game sample is better than my one hundred plus game sample.

Do the world a favor and never take a statistics class.

Ebanizar Edmonds

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put Romo on the Green Bay Packers and Aaron Rodgers on these Cowboys. Watch how things become.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver - No
San Diego - No
Kansas City - Possibly a push, but I'll err on Romo's side and say yes
Oakland - Who freaking knows?

New England - No
NYJ - Probably. Probably easily.
Buffalo - Not sure which of these two QB's is better. They both look brilliant one week, than atrocious the next.
Miami - Too early to tell because of draft pick spent on Tannehill. So no.

Pittsburgh - No
Baltimore - No
Cincinnati - No
Cleveland - Same as Miami. So no.

Houston - No
Indi - No
Jacksonville - Likely
Tennessee - Likely

San Francisco - No. Not because Romo is worse than Smith. He isn't. But Smith protects the ball, and Romo doesn't.
Arizona - Unknown. They seem to be doing pretty well without a gunslinger.
Seattle - Yes
St. Louis - No. 1st pick overall on Bradford two years ago.

NYG - Clearly no.
Philly - Probably no, realistically. But I feel Romo would be an upgrade here, so I'll count them as yes.
Washington - No
Dallas - We'll see by season's end.

Green Bay - Clearly no.
Chicago - Clearly no.
Detroit - Clearly no.
Minnesota - Sure, why not. Ponder isn't a world beater in his second year, but the trade up and high draft pick lean me toward no.

Atlanta - Clearly no.
New Orleans - Clearly no.
Carolina - Clearly no.
Tampa Bay - I don't see any difference in Freeman and Romo, but given that, I'll err on the side of Romo.

By that generous count, I get 7. Realistically, once dollars are involved, that's probably closer to two or three. Romo isn't bad, but he is pretty average. I don't see teams lining up to sign an average QB who has demonstrated he can't win when it matters, and has complete meltdown games like Monday night.

Next season we'll find out. My guess is that this time 2014, Romo is vacationing in Mexico.

Laughable. I think you're being a bit of a hater.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, isn't Romo in his 7th year as a starter right now?

Funny, did you not read the part where it said "BY" his 7th year as a starter? That means I took the first 6 years. In fact, I said "by the 7th year" BECAUSE Romo is in his 7th year and I didn't want to include statistics from this...his 7th year...

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already posted that the guy has a higher TD rate and lower interception rate than Favre over his entire career, but I guess it makes sense that your one game sample is better than my one hundred plus game sample.

Do the world a favor and never take a statistics class.

Do us all a favor and learn something about football before you come back here. Comparing a guy who's played 6 years in the league with one of most underachieving, talent laden teams in history to a guy who spent most of his career taking mediocre teams to the playoffs, with the only exceptions being 1995-1998 and 2007, 2009, is fucking retarded. Have you seen Tony's QB rating so far this season? Let Romo play 19 seasons as a starting quarterback and then talk to me about his fucking statistics. It shouldn't even be compared. What I was talking about with the games played wasn't Tony's fucking kick holding days, that actually plays directly into my point, Smart. Go retake statistics. Once again, your conclusions are retarded.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do us all a favor and learn something about football before you come back here. Comparing a guy who's played 6 years in the league with one of most underachieving, talent laden teams in history to a guy who spent most of his career taking mediocre teams to the playoffs, with the only exceptions being 1995-1998 and 2007, 2009, is fucking retarded. Have you seen Tony's QB rating so far this season? Let Romo play 19 seasons as a starting quarterback and then talk to me about his fucking statistics. It shouldn't even be compared. What I was talking about with the games played wasn't Tony's fucking kick holding days, that actually plays directly into my point, Smart. Go retake statistics. Once again, your conclusions are retarded.

If you get 25.2 attempts per game, yes you were. That includes 22 games a kick holder.

The talent argument sort of has a point. I'd have to watch more of the 1990s Packers and compare them to the Romo-era Cowboys. My hunch is that the Cowboys had better playmakers but the Packers had a better line.

I do agree that the next few years will dictate who is better. If Romo has a rating under 85 over the next couple of years (and not just four weeks), feel free to come back and laugh at me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Favre is overrated and Romo is not very good, but Smart you know that statistics can be made to misrepresent reality very easily. Hell, I am an epidemiologist which makes me a glorified biostatistician.

I know you have taken some basic stats class and KNOW they can misconstrue the truth.

I am not saying this is the case here, just syaing.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, you are right. My math was wrong. I forgot that Romo didn't start 2006 as starter. You were off by 28 games, not 22.

2,743 attempts/ 81 starts= 33.86 attempts per game.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart, this is another one of those cases where you latch onto one detail instead of taking on the big picture. You still have to consider Favre's career. Whether it's total games played, average attempts per game, or just an overall greater sample size, we don't really know how Romo's career adds up to Favre's.

If you take just Favre's six years, and exclude the mediocre teams he TOOK TO THE PLAYOFFS between 1999 and 2006, of course his stats will look great. Give Romo some time to dilute his stats, buddy, then you can pretend that you have some kind of insight into the game of football by doing basic math.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Favre is overrated and Romo is not very good, but Smart you know that statistics can be made to misrepresent reality very easily. Hell, I am an epidemiologist which makes me a glorified biostatistician.

I know you have taken some basic stats class and KNOW they can misconstrue the truth.

I am not saying this is the case here, just syaing.

Then what statistical measure says that Favre's career is better. Yes, playoff win, etc. but I think that is more outside of the QB's control than the stats I gave. Am I wrong here? I'm not misconstruing anything to my knowledge. I am giving the stats most often used to judge quarterbacks, and they favor Romo.

Smart, this is another one of those cases where you latch onto one detail instead of taking on the big picture. You still have to consider Favre's career. Whether it's total games played, average attempts per game, or just an overall greater sample size, we don't really know how Romo's career adds up to Favre's.

If you take just Favre's six years, and exclude the mediocre teams he TOOK TO THE PLAYOFFS between 1999 and 2006, of course his stats will look great. Give Romo some time to dilute his stats, buddy, then you can pretend that you have some kind of insight into the game of football by doing basic math.

I see the big picture. What I said is "Romo is better than Favre ever was." The totality of careers puts Favre ahead of Romo, particularly with durability. All that I am saying is pretending that Romo is some failure of a quarterback while Favre is god (as you sort of implied and many casual football fans suggest) is a misnomer. Romo is a very good quarterback whose teams have put up a ton of points but been killed by their weak secondary. Favre was a very good quarterback as well, and he was lucky enough to win have several seasons with stout defenses.

If you take away those defenses, all the evidence suggests they have similar careers. Brett Favre, to the best of my knowledge never had a season like Rodgers did last year where he willed an awful defense to a great season. Romo has never had a #1 ranked defense like Favre did his Super Bowl year. Even his 2007 defense when he won 13 games had arguably the best secondary in football. I think you'd see Romo do as well or better than Favre if he had a team like that, and the evidence we have suggests that would likely be the case.

And I strongly disagree that Favre's 1992-1997 stats compare favorably to Romo.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't even comprehend what you're doing here. You're comparing their overall career stats, putting heavy emphasis on percentages, but disregarding the fact that Favre's best seasons are diluted by having a greater sample size, and therefore a greater variety of talent levels and strength of competition, or the fact that his "durability" probably actually plays against his statistics, since he was playing with a broken thumb on his throwing hand for like 1 and a half seasons when he probably should have sat his ass down, and played with any number of other injuries including a throwing arm that needed two or three different surgeries. Favre played for over half a decade with ONE receiver, Donald Driver, who had any kind of talent whatsoever. And please don't try telling me that Robert Ferguson or Javon Walker are anywhere close to the receivers Romo has had. That would just make you sound even more retarded.

I can't help you if you're too stupid to see....33, 38, 39, 35 and think Romo has ever had a comparable four year stretch in his short 6 year career.

Last edited by a moderator: