• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry on Romo

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EXCLUSIVE: Jerry Jones predicts Tony Romo will play part in Cowboys' Super Bowl run and return for 2017 season
GARY MYERS
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Friday, December 9, 2016, 7:00 AM

Jerry Jones, owner of the red-hot Cowboys, unexpectedly hit it big with rookie Dak Prescott in the fourth round but still has an expected soft spot for deposed long-time starter Tony Romo.

In an exclusive interview with the Daily News in his midtown Manhattan hotel room Thursday afternoon, Jones made two predictions:

-- There's going to be a situation where Romo steps in and helps Dallas in its quest to get to Super Bowl LI in Houston.

-- Even if Romo is the backup going into the offseason, Jones believes he will be able to talk him out of demanding a trade or his release so he can join a team where he could start.

Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott should be MVP

If Romo gets into a meaningful regular season or playoff game in the next two months, it's either because Prescott is injured or he is playing so poorly that Romo comes in to try and keep the season alive.

"I think Romo is going to get his opportunity," Jones said. "I don't want it to happen. But I think he may get his opportunity to get us a Super Bowl. While that's a mixed bag when I think about it — that means you don't have Dak out there — but it means, what a story, one for the ages, if he'd step in there and this year help us win a Super Bowl on the field with his skill. That can happen here. We're not talking about a bus driver out there. We're talking about a guy who can go out there and move our team."

The Cowboys are 11-1 without Romo. Last year, they were 1-11 without him. Prescott has won 11 consecutive games, more than Hall of Famers Roger Staubach and Troy Aikman, more than Romo, more than any quarterback in Cowboys history.

Dallas can clinch the NFC East on Sunday night at MetLife Stadium with a victory over the Giants, and naturally Jones is in football heaven: Prescott is playing great and Romo, once he was back in uniform on Nov. 20 after suffering a compression fracture in his back this summer, has accepted his backup role and this week has been playing Eli Manning on the scout team.

Giants preparing for major challenge in Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott

Jones is not sticking pins in a Prescott voodoo doll. He's all-in on the rookie. But there is precedent for exactly what Jones was talking about Thursday.

jones.jpg

Jerry Jones said Tony Romo will have some role in the Cowboys' quest to Super Bowl LI.
(HOWARD SIMMONS/NEW YORK DAILY NEWS)
Tom Brady took over after Drew Bledsoe suffered a sheared blood vessel in his chest late in the second game of the 2001 season against the Jets. He didn't play again until Brady injured his ankle in the first half of the AFC Championship Game. Bledsoe was a big reason New England won that game. Brady returned for the Super Bowl and led a game-winning drive to beat the Rams.

In the Dolphins’ perfect season in 1972, Bob Griese broke his leg and dislocated his ankle in the fifth game and Earl Morrall took over. Don Shula switched back to Griese during the AFC Championship Game and he finished off the unbeaten season by defeating Washington in the Super Bowl.

Romo is 36 years old and due to make $14 million in 2017 with a salary cap number of $24.7 million. If the Cowboys cut him, they will have $19.6 million in dead money on their cap. Prescott signed a four-year, $2.7 million deal. He is making $450,000 this season and $540,000 in 2017. The collective bargaining agreement prevents the Cowboys from giving Prescott a new contract next year, which presents the chance for Jones to fit both quarterbacks into the salary cap.

Romo hit again! ESPN voice shows Cowboys QB no mercy

"Because of where we are, we can afford it," Jones said.

No team can afford two big-money quarterbacks. But with Prescott not yet able to cash in, Jones said he thinks it could make more sense to allocate the resources to Romo, even if he's the backup, than to a pass rusher in free agency.

"Unorthodox?" Jones said. "Absolutely."

Jones said, "my intention" is for Romo to be back in Dallas next year.

Tony Romo eyeing Broncos as Cowboys career is likely over

Will Romo accept going into camp as the backup?

ravens-cowboys-football.jpg

Romo (r.) conceded the starting role to Dak Prescott earlier this season.
(MICHAEL AINSWORTH/AP)
"I think Tony is going to compete. He will never accept it," Jones said. "But do I think it is possible that he could be in Dallas and it's good for him and good for us and be the smart thing to do? How many times have we ever seen one drawn up where you see that kind of depth at the quarterback position? How many times do you have to be reminded if we had the concussion protocol the way we had it today, Troy Aikman wouldn't have played in the second Super Bowl."

Aikman suffered a concussion in the 1993 NFC title game against the 49ers and with no week off before the Super Bowl, he played in the game but it's a blur to him. Now the concussion protocol can keep players sidelined for several weeks. If it happens to Prescott next season, Jones wants Romo to be his QB.

He believes he can talk Romo into staying rather than pursuing an opportunity to finish his career elsewhere as a starter.

Follow the Daily News Sports on Facebook. "Like" us here.

"I do," he said. "I think if I ask Tony to go with us on that and let's try to win a championship, I think, yes, he will."

Romo, unlike Bledsoe 15 years ago, is not complaining. "Tony is investing in his teammates," Jones said. "Everybody understands while he's excited to be part of the team and he's excited for the team, that he's dying inside not to be out there competing. I underline the words dying inside. There are plenty of examples where high profile quarterbacks didn't go down gracefully and step off the field gracefully. Lots of example of it. It's just hard for that kind for competitor to do that."

But when Romo made his concession speech last month, "he absolutely stepped up and was genuine and honest," Jones said. "He let the air out of the controversy in front of the country when he stood up there and said, "I'm the backup quarterback."

If Jones is right in his predictions, Romo will get an opportunity to help the ‘Boys get to the Super Bowl for the first time in two decades and then be back in Dallas next season.

Jerry Jones: Tony Romo will play part in Cowboys' Super Bowl run

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Jerry Jone's File......only a partial list

He fired Landry in a classless way

He fired a head coach (Jimmy Johnson) who basically built the team and coaching staff that won 3 Super Bowls in 4 seasons.

He took credit for "things" he had nothing to do with.

He was cheap with EMMITT SMITH and almost cost a championship

Overspent on Deion Sanders.cost the COWBOYS salary cap and players leaving for years

Hired Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and Jason"YES" Garrett.

He hired Garrett as O coordinator, before he hired Wade Phillips.

Spent two first round draft picks and 42 million dollars on Joey Galloway

Spent 45 million on Marion Barber and then drafted Felix Jones in the next draft

Spent a 1,3,7 draft pick on Roy Williams....and then proceeded to draft Dez Bryant

He allowed Terrel Owens, PacMan Jones, Alonzo Spellman, Tank Johnson, and Greg Hardy to wear the STAR

He wanted to draft Johnny Manziel

Randy Gregory, Rolando McClain

He drafted or signed the future Hall of Fame QBs Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Chad Hutchinson

Ryan Leaf

How many players has Jerry overspent on?.......Miles Austin who?

And Jerry had admitted on radio, that maybe Jason Garrett was learning on the job.....

And now, someone wants to give Jerry Jones any credibility? WHY?
He has always wanted to be the center of attention, at the cost to the COWBOYS...Look at the last 21 years..

He's an old fool, trying to stay "relevant" (he never was)
Jerry made one phone call (to Jimmy) and that's it. That's all the credit he deserves.

Last edited:

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He fired a head coach (Jimmy Johnson) who basically built the team and coaching staff that won 3 Super Bowls in 4 seasons.

Overspent on Deion Sanders.cost the COWBOYS salary cap and players leaving for years

Hired Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey, Dave Campo, Wade Phillips, and Jason"YES" Garrett.

Spent 45 million on Marion Barber and then drafted Felix Jones in the next draft

Spent a 1,3,7 draft pick on Roy Williams....and then proceeded to draft Dez Bryant

He allowed Terrel Owens, PacMan Jones, Alonzo Spellman, Tank Johnson, and Greg Hardy to wear the STAR

He drafted or signed the future Hall of Fame QBs Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Chad Hutchinson

Ryan Leaf

And Jerry had admitted on radio, that maybe Jason Garrett was learning on the job.....

He has always wanted to be the center of attention, at the cost to the COWBOYS...Look at the last 21 years..

Jerry made one phone call (to Jimmy) and that's it. That's all the credit he deserves.

Boy what a sad history lesson LOL. 21 Long years!!

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerruh a little more ready to listen to his football people lately. I Agee that the Galloway and roy Williams trades were horrific. the huge contract to barber bad. drafting Feliz Jones moronic. drafting Bennett and Esco bar high when you have a future hall of famer that never gets hurt or plays at a high level when hurt.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That moron Jerry Jones al

Ryan Leaf

you left off that those morons Jerry and Garrett led us to a 4 win shitty season last year. thank God someone else took over this year and has us at 11-1...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you left off that those morons Jerry and Garrett led us to a 4 win shitty season last year. thank God someone else took over this year and has us at 11-1...
All credit goes to Bridget Jones and Brad Garrett

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jerry did what? You're delusional.......maybe Stephen, not Jerry......
We would have had Johnny Football ,if it would have been up to Jerry
It's hard to believe, there are still "people", who defend Jerry Jones.....amazing
...........21 years

And Little Ginger did what? And when exactly, is Garrett going to speak for the COWBOYS?
I can't remember too many owners and GMs talking the way Jerry does.
I thought the head coach spoke for the team.
I would think, Garrett would decide who HIS QB is going to be.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry did what? You're delusional.......maybe Stephen, not Jerry......
We would have had Johnny Football ,if it would have been up to Jerry
It's hard to believe, there are still "people", who defend Jerry Jones.....amazing
...........21 years

And Little Ginger did what? And when exactly, is Garrett going to speak for the COWBOYS?
I can't remember too many owners and GMs talking the way Jerry does.
I thought the head coach spoke for the team.
I would think, Garrett would decide who HIS QB is going to be.
Sorry, but if you're going to give Jerry and Garrett credit for all the failures you HAVE to give them the credit for 2016. You cant cherry pick.

Oh, never mind I forgot who I was talking too. Carry on.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the more they win the more jerry nudges towards the front row. The media is all to happy to run to jerry for their weekly soundbites. Jerry has worked this for over 20 years now, and media has become his loyal subjects to this man feeling his Wheaties...being important and all.

Now Garrett?
simply has done the best coaching job this season throughout the league. His stuff sells within the halls at The Star. Give the man his just dues.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but if you're going to give Jerry and Garrett credit for all the failures you HAVE to give them the credit for 2016. You cant cherry pick.

Oh, never mind I forgot who I was talking too. Carry on.
LOL...I didn't expect him to understand the hypocrisy of his statements...but thought I'd point them out for fun anyway...

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talk about Cherry picking.......who is doing it? ..........two seasons? That's it?

Jerry Jones in the last twenty years....counting this season....(giving him credit for this season) with a record of 11 and 1
The COWBOYS have a record of 162 wins and 153 losses in the regular season
In the last twenty seasons.......The COWBOYS have a post season record of 2 Wins and 7 losses
Zero appearances in the NFC championship game or the Super Bowl

Jason Garrett....In the last 6 seasons (and part of 2010) .......Garrett has a record of 56 Wins and 44 Losses
He's had two winning seasons out of the six complete seasons he's coached.
His post season record is one win and one loss.

I understand Garrett is in a tough situation with Jerry........
And if the COWBOYS win the Super Bowl, Jerry will remind us all, he did it all by himself.
The long shadow of Jimmy Johnson will be gone. And Jerry's ego may get bigger ...Heaven help us all

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about Cherry picking.......who is doing it? ..........two seasons? That's it?

Jerry Jones in the last twenty years....counting this season....(giving him credit for this season) with a record of 11 and 1
In the last twenty seasons.......The COWBOYS have a post season record of 2 Wins and 7 losses

Jason Garrett....In the last 6 seasons (and part of 2010) .......Garrett has a record of 56 Wins and 44 Losses

And if the COWBOYS win the Super Bowl, Jerry will remind us all, he did it all by himself.
The long shadow of Jimmy Johnson will be gone. And Jerry's ego may get bigger ...Heaven help us all
I'm not cherry picking a damn thing. Its simple if you must blame all bad on Jerry and Jason you must give them credit for 2016.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garrett is doing a great job this year. Jerry is going to be Jerry when it comes to the media. I have been a huge critic of Jason, but I believe he is the right coach for the boys. No strong personality could deal with Jerry for many years.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow. A Cowboy fan starting a thought with "if the COWBOYS win the Super Bowl" and ending it with "Heaven help us all"??? I think that pretty much sums you up. Agenda over all else.

Some of you need to get behind Dak and Garrett and I guess Jerry to and root for THIS team...or go find another team to root for. If you can't enjoy the ride this year you never will. This has been one of our best seasons so far, but some of you still find things to whine and be unhappy about

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bills could have interest in trading for Tony Romo.

The Bills have yet to make a decision on Tyrod Taylor, but can get out of his contract this offseason. Trading for Romo would give Buffalo a proven starter to complement a strong run game and defense. Romo would likely need to take a pay cut to facilitate any deal.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Charlie Brown would say "good grief"

Get over yourself and the "jerry" agenda he is the owner of the Dallas Cowboys and can do as he damn well pleases regardless of what anybody thinks . It is irrelevant what has happened the last 21 years as far as this season is concerned. Garrett has the team playing better than any other team in Cowboys HISTORY!!!!!! based on the record that they have at 11-1. If that small little detail does not sink in then your just Granite hard in your views of Jerry and Jason and what that they have done along with tons of help from Stephen and Will McClay and all the other coaches and scouts in the organization.

Jerry is going to be Jerry and that's just the way that it is after all this time if you cant accept that and get over it you never will.

You cant heap all the failures on his plate without including all the success also. In a nutshell it might have taken Jerry a long time to find his coach but at 11-1 vs last years 4-12 same HC it sure seems that things are on the upswing.

How about saving the sour grapes until the off season to make vinegar ?

I'm going to enjoy the ride as long and far as it goes. GO COWBOYS

JMHO

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Bills could have interest in trading for Tony Romo.

The Bills have yet to make a decision on Tyrod Taylor, but can get out of his contract this offseason. Trading for Romo would give Buffalo a proven starter to complement a strong run game and defense. Romo would likely need to take a pay cut to facilitate any deal.
not to sure this is true? I mean a starting QB making 14-15 million nowadays isn't an outrageous amount. So why would he have to take a pay cut. We would be on the hook (I believe) for the dead money not the bills.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way these Qbs are playing today - some team may give him a raise. Rough day for Qbs