• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry on Romo

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, nothing to see here. Jerry wants his facetime. Of course it COULD happen. It's win or go home. Garret is a smart man. He knows Dak is the present and future. If he shits the bed horribly and Garrett chooses to go to Romo so be it, but we aren't switching just to switch and I'd say it's about a 5% chance at best. If Garrett makes the switch it will mean things are really not going well and Dak is playing horrendously. He isn't going to do it just to do it. This is just white noise. Whatever Garrett does I will trust him today. Go Cowboys!!!!
Garrett has pushed all the right buttons this season. He is very underrated as a head coach in my opinion.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea that many have that there will be no market at all for Romo is wrong. No one is doubting he is old and can be lost for the season if someone sneezes on him too hard, but the NFL is about having a good QB and even if a team loses him for half a season if they have him for a possible playoff run and he plays like he has he could help a team.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/01/troy-aikman-talks-eli-manning-and-tony-romo-jets-fit/

Aikman also was asked how New York might appeal to Tony Romo.

“I think Tony would fit in great in New York,” Aikman said. “I think he would handle the scrutiny of that city very well. I actually think he would thrive within that atmosphere.”

Should the Jets pursue Romo?

“I think that anyone who needs a quarterback should take a look at him,” Aikman said. “I think you’ve got to do your own internal evaluations as far as what his medical history is, and how confident you are that he’s going to be able to be given first of all the protection needed. And when that breaks down, how confident are you that he’s going to be able to take hits and get back up?”

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea that many have that there will be no market at all for Romo is wrong.

No shit! It's like fans and media alike are trying to convince themselves Romo has no trade value, in hopes that he will be released. I just don't see it, the Cowboys will be eating a fuck ton of dead money either way, and Romo definitely has some value in trade. There will be suitors for Romo and a trade may be the more logical route to go for them due to contract ramifications.

Everyone talks about Romo's contract like it's some sort of burden for the team that acquires him - that couldn't be further from the truth. Whatever team acquires him only has to pay Romo $14 million in 2017, and can cut him with no penalty there after, or cut him at any time for that matter. His cap hits in 2018 and 2019 are very reasonable at $19.5m and $20.5m. Romo will command more than $14 million per year on the open market as a free agent, and will likely require a multi year deal with guaranteed money - so there is built in incentive to trade for Romo right there, as the contract situation is likely to be much more favorable to the acquiring team than a free agent contract. The possibility of a one year tryout (health) for $14m with two option years and no guaranteed money has to be intriguing for some GM out there.

A conditional pick in 2018, based on games played seems about right to me. I personally wouldn't accept anything less than a conditional 2nd that can upgrade to a 1st, but that's just my opinion - some people think I am unreasonable in this case.

Last edited:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit! It's like fans and media alike are trying to convince themselves Romo has no trade value, in hopes that he will be released. I just don't see it, the Cowboys will be eating a fuck ton of dead money either way, and Romo definitely has some value in trade. There will be suitors for Romo and a trade may be the more logical route to go for them due to contract ramifications.

Everyone talks about Romo's contract like it's some sort of burden for the team that acquires him - that couldn't be further from the truth. Whatever team acquires him only has to pay Romo $14 million in 2017, and can cut him with no penalty there after, or cut him at any time for that matter. His cap hits in 2018 and 2019 are very reasonable at $19.5m and $20.5m. Romo will command more than $14 million per year on the open market as a free agent, and will likely require a multi year deal with guaranteed money - so there is built in incentive to trade for Romo right there, as the contract situation is likely to be much more favorable to the acquiring team than a free agent contract. The possibility of a one year tryout (health) for $14m with two option years and no guaranteed money has to be intriguing for some GM out there.

A conditional pick in 2018, based on games played seems about right to me. I personally wouldn't accept anything less than a conditional 2nd that can upgrade to a 1st, but that's just my opinion - some people think I am unreasonable in this case.

If you are Dallas, he can't be on your roster in July. That's asking for a mess.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are Dallas, he can't be on your roster in July. That's asking for a mess.
IMO if he's given the opportunity to win the start there's not all that much of an issue. Now if both QBs are on the team, but starter is named before pads first go on there could be an issue. I think there's a desire in Romo to stick in Dallas but not as the BU without a fight.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO if he's given the opportunity to win the start there's not all that much of an issue. Now if both QBs are on the team, but starter is named before pads first go on there could be an issue. I think there's a desire in Romo to stick in Dallas but not as the BU without a fight.

I totally agree. If he stays in Dallas, the " noise" as JG says would become very loud.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree. If he stays in Dallas, the " noise" as JG says would become very loud.
As long as the two don't let it get to them the "noise" won't be an issue. If the Romo truly wins the job I think Dak will be OK knowing his time is near if Dak wins the job I think Romo will ask for his release or retire.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as the two don't let it get to them the "noise" won't be an issue. If the Romo truly wins the job I think Dak will be OK knowing his time is near if Dak wins the job I think Romo will ask for his release or retire.

I would welcome a QB battle. I just don't think it would happen, nor would the majority of Dallas fans want it to happen.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One possible destination for Romo is out. The Jets have basically cut everyone. No sense bringing in an old QB when you are going into rebuilding mode and have a cap problem. Also means Sheldon Richardson is more likely to be traded

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stephen on Romo. Really not much here:

Cowboys' Sit-Down With Tony Romo Coming "Sooner Rather Than Later"
Tuesday, February 28, 2017 6:33 PM CST

INDIANAPOLIS – This year’s NFL Combine will begin in earnest on Wednesday, and the league year will open just a week after that. As evidenced by a flurry of moves around the league on Tuesday, the next week could bring plenty of news heading into the start of free agency.

To hear it from team executive vice president Stephen Jones, the uptick in activity does not mean the Cowboys have sat down with Tony Romo – at least not yet.

“Yeah, I would say it’s going to come,” he said. “I think Jerry’s going to be due to meet with him sooner than later. But I would say there’s a definitive meeting set as of yet.”

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones has long made it known that he’ll have the long-awaited discussion about Romo’s future when the time comes. With the NFL descending on Indianapolis for the Combine, and with free agency set to open on March 9, that time seems like it is fast approaching.

But for the time being, the Cowboys’ gameplan for their four-time Pro Bowl quarterback – who is set to count $24 million against the cap and who didn’t start a game in 2016 – remains unclear.

“That part really remains to be seen,” Stephen Jones said. “Of course, I don’t comment on Tony. Jerry’s made that real clear – he’s going to comment on Tony.”

As of now, it’s anyone’s guess what will become of the Cowboys’ long-time starting quarterback. Stephen Jones even mentioned the possibility that Romo remains on the roster as a backup quarterback option.

But when Jones was asked Tuesday about what Romo has meant to the organization, it certainly felt like some type of decision was coming – even if it hasn’t been made yet.

“What he’s done for this franchise just speaks volumes for what he means to the Dallas Cowboys, to the organization, to our family,” he said. “I mean, this guy has played tremendous football. He’s given us big seasons, and we’re all – I think Jerry said it best: Unfortunately, that’s one of our biggest regrets right now, is we haven’t been able to put a team around Tony, when he’s healthy, that he could win a Super Bowl.”