• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Theismann: "Tony Romo isn't that good"

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For all the over the top hype the Cowboys get from the media and fans there is an equal unwarranted backlash. Tony Romo when he is on his game is a top 10 QB in the league, so he is good. He can hit his marks and make passes that other QBs cannot.

His problem is completely mental, he gets flustered easily. I don't know if that's in his genes or if that is the media pressure of being the Cowboys QB that has gotten to him and made him mentally weak. Tough to overlook 5 INTs on Monday Night, but the first 2 completely not his fault, and the final 2 the game had already gotten away and he was just heaving the ball up.

Romo is good, not great. He has really good games, and really bad games. I think he takes way more blame than he should. So I don't agree with Theismann on this one.

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive line for the cowboys is awful. Not protecting him enough. Dez Bryant is dropping too many passes. No real pass rush from the front 3, puts all the pressure on the DB's. The offensive line will be downfall of the team this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but the first 2 completely not his fault

True.

However, without looking up his numbers and comparing them with other QB's, I venture to say that his record is not one that most people would expect from a "good" QB.

Thus, I agree with Joe.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offensive line for the cowboys is awful. Not protecting him enough. Dez Bryant is dropping too many passes. No real pass rush from the front 3, puts all the pressure on the DB's. The offensive line will be downfall of the team this year.

This. Romo is accurate and can make the pass needed. But he has a terrible o-line this year.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

However, without looking up his numbers and comparing them with other QB's, I venture to say that his record is not one that most people would expect from a "good" QB.

Thus, I agree with Joe.

Depends on what stat you are talking about. Are you talking about accuracy? SB wins? Yards per game? TD to INT? If you are just going off wins and losses, then I guess you put stock in pitchers W/L records too :L

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way I look at is half the league would probably kill to have Romo as their QB rather than their current QB. If he is "better" than the majority of his counterparts then he is good.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes up every year. The guy is my age. How long is Cowboyland going to wait for him to live up to his potential? Because he's got a maximum of 8 years left in the league, and speaking of Favre...

I've always thought that part of Romo's problem is that he grew up in Wisconsin, and Favre was his hero. In his mind, the way to play QB is to try to be the hero every down, and when he can't force the ball the way Favre often did, he thinks he has to keep trying. In the words of John Madden, "Brett Favre is a horrible example of how to play quarterback. Only he can do what he does, and too often even he can't do what he does, but when he can he's the best that ever played the game."

Somewhat paraphrased.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This comes up every year. The guy is my age. How long is Cowboyland going to wait for him to live up to his potential? Because he's got a maximum of 8 years left in the league, and speaking of Favre...

I've always thought that part of Romo's problem is that he grew up in Wisconsin, and Favre was his hero. In his mind, the way to play QB is to try to be the hero every down, and when he can't force the ball the way Favre often did, he thinks he has to keep trying. In the words of John Madden, "Brett Favre is a horrible example of how to play quarterback. Only he can do what he does, and too often even he can't do what he does, but when he can he's the best that ever played the game."

Somewhat paraphrased.

That's just the thing, I don't think anybody in Cowboyland is convincing themselves he's anything other than what he is. Romo is not the Cowboys problem. When your O-Line jumps early every other play and your receivers run the wrong routes and drop passes that's not on the QB. That's on the coaching staff and Jerry Jones for hiring that coaching staff.

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Romo has said he grew up a 49ers and Joe Montana fan.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tony is bad, then Dez is UCKINGfay horrible.

Did they bracket Witten the whole game?

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure Romo has said he grew up a 49ers and Joe Montana fan.

He grew up 45 minutes away from me bro, if that. Our local paper always tried to maintain subscribers out there. So trust me, I've read plenty of interviews. He may have been a 49ers fan and a Joe Montana fan, but then he ALSO was a big Brett Favre fan.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His stats don't lie. The guy has great career numbers. His teams have scored a lot of points. One game doesn't disprove that.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tony Romo is better than Brett Favre ever was, and if he had a #1 defense like Favre did in 1996, he would win a Super Bowl.

You are punishing the guy for his defense's failings.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart. Having an opinion doesn't make you right. But it can make you look like an idiot.

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tony Romo is better than Brett Favre ever was, and if he had a #1 defense like Favre did in 1996, he would win a Super Bowl.

You are punishing the guy for his defense's failings.

l o fucking l