• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Joe Flacco

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone wants to believe that Flacco is big improvement over Keenum, but I think the coaching last year was as much to blame for the lack of Keenum success then anything. The coaching staff did not play to his strengths which is no fault of his. Keenum is not going to be a Hall of Famer, but I do believe he is better then the QB we saw last year.

With Flacco I hope he be efficient and avoid 3 and outs. I do have hope that the new coaching staff will be able to put a more consistent offense on the field then last year, and that is if Flacco is no better then Keenum. The one thing Flacco has is a big arm to stretch the field which should play into Sutton's strengths. Add in what I hope is a good running game. It could be very difficult for defenses to defend.

I am no Flacco fan, never have been. It was like a nightmare when we traded for him. He does have some tools that may help the offense and the team be more successful. Only time will tell. Hopefully by week 10 we are discussing playoffs and who should we draft in the top 10 of the draft.
Personally, I’d rather be talking about who we should take with picks 28-32 by then, unless we manage to trade for Miami’s or Arizona’s 1st rounder.

And while he is no HOF quarterback, I’m still of the mindset that Flacco is an improvement over Keenum, Lynch, Siemien, etc.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I’d rather be talking about who we should take with picks 28-32 by then, unless we manage to trade for Miami’s or Arizona’s 1st rounder.

And while he is no HOF quarterback, I’m still of the mindset that Flacco is an improvement over Keenum, Lynch, Siemien, etc.

I am not sure the difference is huge but we will see. I hope I am wrong.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Flacco May not be sexy but he bas a successful track record of knowing how to ride a great defense to the playoffs and beyond

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know everyone wants to believe that Flacco is big improvement over Keenum, but I think the coaching last year was as much to blame for the lack of Keenum success then anything. The coaching staff did not play to his strengths which is no fault of his. Keenum is not going to be a Hall of Famer, but I do believe he is better then the QB we saw last year.

With Flacco I hope he be efficient and avoid 3 and outs. I do have hope that the new coaching staff will be able to put a more consistent offense on the field then last year, and that is if Flacco is no better then Keenum. The one thing Flacco has is a big arm to stretch the field which should play into Sutton's strengths. Add in what I hope is a good running game. It could be very difficult for defenses to defend.

I am no Flacco fan, never have been. It was like a nightmare when we traded for him. He does have some tools that may help the offense and the team be more successful. Only time will tell. Hopefully by week 10 we are discussing playoffs and who should we draft in the top 10 of the draft.

I’ve actually thought the same thing regarding Keenum and the coaching not putting him in a position to succeed. I’ve never seen a coaching staff so determined to avoid its QB’s strengths! Keenum never stood a chance.

So my hope is that Flacco is indeed an upgrade as far as the physical and mental tools go, but what I really Hope is our coaches are an upgrade insomuch as they’ll play to the QB’s (and other players’) strengths!

NFL-Solomon

The Father of The Potato Salad Poll Option
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pineapple: sprinkle cinnamon on it and eat it raw if possible, your S/O will thank you

Avocado: delicious and versatile

Pizza: stop putting pineapple on it

Pizza>Avocado>Pineapple
2xps1r.jpg

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based off of the thread topic and reading no posts in this thread, my only question is, how does John Elway still have a job?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
based off of the thread topic and reading no posts in this thread, my only question is, how does John Elway still have a job?

A Super Bowl win gets you a lot of leeway. However his poor decisions at the QB position post-Manning have made his leash a bit shorter. If Lock fails, that could be it for Elway, though he is just a 2nd rounder. If he gets another chance on a 1st round QB that busts, he's as good as gone. Mediocrity at QB sinks front offices very quickly.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A Super Bowl win gets you a lot of leeway. However his poor decisions at the QB position post-Manning have made his leash a bit shorter. If Lock fails, that could be it for Elway, though he is just a 2nd rounder. If he gets another chance on a 1st round QB that busts, he's as good as gone. Mediocrity at QB sinks front offices very quickly.

I don’t think his mistakes are as bad as people want to make it out to be.

Osweiler was the plan after Manning. He was in a prime position to take the reigns having contributed significantly to the team’s Super Bowl run. He bolted for Houston, and while we’ll never know for certain how he would have worked out in Denver had he stayed, one can make an intelligent argument he would not have flamed out the way he did.

Siemian was actually not awful in his first year as a starter. He was never drafted with being a starter in mind, he was just depth. His decline in year 2 can be attributed just as much to coaching as anything else; VJ just didn’t put his players in a position to succeed.

Lynch was a hot mess. So go ahead and add Elway to a long list of GMs who’ve missed on first round QBs. He’s definitely not alone.

Sanchez doesn’t even count. He didn’t play a single season snap.

Keenum, like Siemian, didn’t stand a chance with that coaching staff.

So the QB issues look worse because they were compounded by hiring a bad choice for HC.

Had Osweiler stayed I believe the Broncos would have been a slightly better team than the 9-7 team that narrowly missed the playoffs.

Had Kubiak stayed on Siemian likely progresses instead of drops off a cliff.

Flacco and some better coaching may bring some stability to the position and that’s much needed. Lock’s long term viability is yet to be determined but Flacco has at least bought the team some time.

The Broncos would be wise to give Elway as much leash as they possibly can. Even with these last few bad seasons, take a look at the Broncos 8 years with Elway and compare them to the 8 years before he arrived.

Running an NFL team is hard. The Broncos recent struggles have landed Elway under the microscope but if anyone has earned the opportunity to right the ship, Elway’s that guy.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Osweiler was the plan after Manning. He was in a prime position to take the reigns having contributed significantly to the team’s Super Bowl run. He bolted for Houston, and while we’ll never know for certain how he would have worked out in Denver had he stayed, one can make an intelligent argument he would not have flamed out the way he did.

Siemian was actually not awful in his first year as a starter. He was never drafted with being a starter in mind, he was just depth. His decline in year 2 can be attributed just as much to coaching as anything else; VJ just didn’t put his players in a position to succeed.

Lynch was a hot mess. So go ahead and add Elway to a long list of GMs who’ve missed on first round QBs. He’s definitely not alone.

So the QB issues look worse because they were compounded by hiring a bad choice for HC.

Had Osweiler stayed I believe the Broncos would have been a slightly better team than the 9-7 team that narrowly missed the playoffs.

Flacco and some better coaching may bring some stability to the position and that’s much needed. Lock’s long term viability is yet to be determined but Flacco has at least bought the team some time.

The Broncos would be wise to give Elway as much leash as they possibly can. Even with these last few bad seasons, take a look at the Broncos 8 years with Elway and compare them to the 8 years before he arrived.

Running an NFL team is hard. The Broncos recent struggles have landed Elway under the microscope but if anyone has earned the opportunity to right the ship, Elway’s that guy.

We would be in a better situation had Elway not fell in love with VJ and seriously considered Shanahan.

Outside of Lynch, hiring VJ set the team back two years.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Whether Osweiler stayed or not, he was never going to be anything special. He was nothing special in Houston. He was nothing special coming back to Denver. And he was nothing special in Miami. Its ridiculously unlikely he would have been better had he just stayed in Denver. I called him Kyle Orton Jr. for that reason. He's decent if you ask him to be a game manager. Anything more and you'll be disappointed.

I don't really count Siemian because Siemian far exceeded the elections of a 7th round pick. He is barely a starter level talent, but for a 7th round pick, that's pretty good value. However if there is some fault in the Siemian situation, it's that they stuck with him as the starter longer than they should have.

Lynch is absolutely what turned the heat on for Elway's seat. Lynch flamed out spectacularly. When you take a guy in round one and he ends up out of the league within 3 years while the other two 1st round QBs taken both have Super Bowl appearances (no Carson didn't play, but he was having an MVP season during their SB season), it's going to make your selection look much worse.

I don't know why Sanchez even needs to be brought up. He was a camp arm, nothing else. Didn't even make it out of the preseason. If we're counting camp arms, Elway's biggest failure there was not keeping Kyle Sloter, IMO.

Keenum has always been an average QB talent. His season in Minnesota was the exception, not the rule. There's a reason we didn't give him more than a 2 year deal. We wanted to see if he could prove he could match his one productive season. He couldn't and that's hardly the fault of the coaching.

Flacco could be good, I'm just not willing to put stock in a QB in his 30s that has never been particularly impressive. He had a good postseason run in his SB season, but he was still in his prime. If Elway keeps his job, it will be becaise of the developement of Lock. Flacco is a stop gap. The expectations for him shouldn't be any higher.

The question is how will Scangarello and his offensive staff do with these QBs?

Elway is the GM. It's his job to get the best talent for the team. So far, he hasn't done so good at QB. It's on the coaches to develop the talent their given. Problem is, both the coaching and the talent have been subpar in recent seasons. And that's wholly on Elway's shoulders.

If this current staff struggles to improve our offensive situation and fails to develop Lock, Elway may not get another chance at rebuilding the team yet again.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering we reportedly ticked off the Dallas Cowboys when we selected Lynch, I don’t really consider that Elway’s fault. He was high on other teams charts too.

The one big error I do place on Elway was VJ. He corrected that with Fangio I believe.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We would be in a better situation had Elway not fell in love with VJ and seriously considered Shanahan.

Outside of Lynch, hiring VJ set the team back two years.

What has Kyle Shanahan done that makes you believe he’s any better than Vance Joseph?

He has a worse record than VJ and the only reason why he still has a job is because the 49ers don’t have an expectation of winning so there’s no pressure.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What has Kyle Shanahan done that makes you believe he’s any better than Vance Joseph?

He has a worse record than VJ and the only reason why he still has a job is because the 49ers don’t have an expectation of winning so there’s no pressure.

Cause we are implementing his offense two years later. Why not get a two year head start. Why pay for a replica when you can get the original

Cause he totally clowned us last years with one player and a 3rd string QB.

He’s regarded in the same sentence as Mcvay when he come to offensive football .

This team needed offense not defense after Kubiak left

I can’t remember who else was available in 2017?? Gase??

You get Mike with Kyle
I’m sure mike could have had some type of role here.

listopencil

I've Seen Better Days
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cause we are implementing his offense two years later. Why not get a two year head start. Why pay for a replica when you can get the original

He’s regarded in the same sentence as Mcvay when he come to offensive football .

You get Mike with Kyle

Yup. All of those things. And maybe Shanny Senior could have helped the team draft O players. Maybe he could have helped, oh I don't know, identify a QB that could actually play well in the NFL.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
QBs are the most difficult to scout coming out of college. Add in that there are not 32 starting caliber QBs in the NFL. When you get one holding on to them is key.

I think with Lynch Elway liked the physical tools, but didn't do enough investigation into work ethic and intelligence. I have hope for Lock, and looking forward to seeing him in the pre-season.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You get Mike with Kyle

And yet we have a better record in those 2 years.
Broncos: 11-21
49ers: 10-22

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet we have a better record in those 2 years.
Broncos: 11-21
49ers: 10-22

Go look at the SF roster in 2016 to 2017. SF turned over like 45 out of 52 players.
Shanahan would not have stared with no talent here in Denver.

SF lost 9 games by 3 pts or less in 2017/18
DEN 5 games by 3 pts or less in 2017/18

Last edited:

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go look at the SF roster in 2016 to 2017. SF turned over like 45 out of 52 players.

At the end of the day wins and losses are all the matters.

I really like what Fangio is doing. I hope it translates into wins on the field.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

6 of those 10 wins were because Shanahan has his Franchise QB Jimmy G. Denver hasn't had a franchise QB in what 4 years now?

So Shanahan has completely sucked as a HC without a franchise QB, just like Vance Joseph did in Denver and he never had a QB that was barely above competent.

Joseph with scraps at QB ended his Denver career with 11 wins. Shanahan without a QBOTF has 4.

He's not godsend of a HC that is unstoppable.