• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

JJ Watt to retire!

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the great ones.... HoF career.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually has had a heck of a year this year. Surprised he isnt going to ring chase one more year. But probably has a lucrative offer from TV calling him.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% and the $$$ he raised for Houston will never be forgotten there
And the kind of guy JJ Watt is deflects that credit and turns it around on the generosity of the people that gave. He’s really a class act. I have a personal story of a friend whose dad is in that strength and conditioning guru crew around the country and one of his “young grasshoppers” in S&C was working with JJ. The things JJ did for a young kid we know suffering from cancer was above and beyond. Flew in multiple times to CHOP in Philly to visit with the young man. Sent him special videos and all sorts of gear. And he did all this behind the scenes not using it to curry favor in the public eye and all that stuff. He was just motivated by a desire to do right by a person who knew someone who worked with him. Class act all around.

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a time machine?
eb9644d3-2426-4df6-be22-6bcc9bc7e55c_text.gif

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A man of his word.
Even played out his contract to completion :thumb:

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A man of his word.
Even played out his contract to completion :thumb:
And did not do that whole "look at me leaving world tour" BS all these spoiled vain morons do when they were clearly washed up 2 years ago do. I had tons of respect for Tim Duncan already, but it went up 100 fold when he announced his retirement, after the season was all done via a press release. Nothing more, dude was straight class!

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, great player and great person and walking away at the right time. Good for him and wish him all the blessings and good fortune that life has to offer with his family

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's one of the all timers in my book
Pewaukee High School - was a rival when I was in school 25 years before him...whatever
Played TE at one of the directional Michigan schools his freshman year
Walked on at UW and switched to DE when he got there.
Had a great bowl game and the next year just dominated...was awesome
Picked by Houston at #11 and many/most pundits were calling it a reach.
Dominated for a Houston D for a long time...came back several times from serious injuries...hard working dude. The big plays he made for that D were pretty awesome...playoff pick 6 was an all timer...

As @elguapo a guy that handled his business and gave back without looking for pats on the back or media strokefests...a true come from humble beginnings and worked his butt off to get where he is now. Hope nothing for him but a long and peaceful life doing what he wants to do and if I met him I would simply tell him thanks for the entertainment, but more so doing it will class and dignity...nothing but respect from me

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And did not do that whole "look at me leaving world tour" BS all these spoiled vain morons do when they were clearly washed up 2 years ago do.

Im a fan of pro wrestling or whatever you want to call it....

I agree with this statement whole heartily.

Only seen 3 times that it worked perfectly

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picked by Houston at #11 and many/most pundits were calling it a reach.

Yep. Most people didnt see anything special about Watt coming out because he didnt run a fast 40 time.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TEMPE, Ariz. -- Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman J.J. Watt announced in a tweet Tuesday morning that he will retire after this season.

Watt's 12-year career has two games left, both road trips, to the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers.

He'll walk away as one of the most dominant defensive players of his generation and a likely first-ballot Hall of Famer. Watt is one of three players to be named the Defensive Player of the Year three times, joining Aaron Donald and Lawrence Taylor.
All three of those awards came when he played for the Houston Texans (2012, 2014 and 2015), the franchise that selected him 11th overall in 2011 out of Wisconsin.

Watt will finish his career with the Cardinals, having signed with them before the 2021 season after spending 10 seasons with the Texans. He is one of three Watt brothers to play in the NFL.

Koa, Watt's first child, was born in October. In late September, Watt had the rhythm of his own heart reset after experiencing atrial fibrillation, then played days later.

Watt has 111.5 sacks (26th on the NFL's career list), a statistic that has officially been tracked since 1982. He also is the only player to record 20-plus sacks in multiple seasons (2012, 2014).

Since Watt was drafted in 2011, there are only three other players -- Von Miller, Cameron Jordan and Chandler Jones -- who have more sacks than him. He is first in batted passes, second in fumble recoveries and tied for third in forced fumbles during that time.

Watt also has 28 games with at least two sacks, five more than anyone else since 2011, according to ESPN Stats & Information research.

He's one of four players to have 100 career sacks and five touchdowns. Watt also has had four seasons with at least 15 sacks since 1982, second to his childhood idol, Hall of Famer Reggie White, who had five.

Watt -- who is the career sack leader for the Texans with 101, almost twice as many sacks as the next closest on the franchise's career list -- is still playing at a high level at 33 years old.
Among the 48 players with at least 10 pass breakups this season, Watt leads all of them with 28 pressures and is tied with Daron Payne for most sacks with 9.5.

Watt's impact, however, went beyond the field.

His foundation has raised $6.7 million since it was started in 2010, when he was still in college. His initial goal was to raise $100,000, he said recently on Twitter.

In the wake of Hurricane Harvey in 2017, Watt's foundation raised more than $37 million to distribute to victims. His initial goal for that was $200,000.

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pewaukee High School - was a rival when I was in school 25 years before him...whatever

One of my favorites as well.

My dad is from Pewaukee originally... so always liked all the Watt brothers and hoped they did well.

Had always hoped he would fall in the draft to the Packers... had my hopes for drafting TJ as well.