• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jimmy Page blasts MP3 recordings

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"This whole re-mastering process is a result of listening to Led Zeppelin on MP3. It almost sounds as if someone has got into the master tapes and done a really horrendous mix of it," Page said of the MP3 versions in a recent interview. "It just wasn't representative of what we'd done in the first place. So many textures were missing. The whole beauty of Led Zeppelin, the air of it, these instruments coming in here and here and over here, was just totally destroyed."

Read more: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/02/24/jimmy-page-revels-in-new-led-zeppelin-re-masters/21146045/

Also an article on Rolling Stone on the making of Physical Graffiti is a good read.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...e-different-direction-with-new-music-20150203

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's right. I'll admit, I love the convenience of having a couple thousand songs on my phone, available at the push of a button, but the sound quality really suffers.

I'm going to check out that Physical Graffiti article. I love that album.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...I thought the first post was going to say, "...from his Ipod" but I guess he ain't a fan.

Physical Graffiti don't get as much love but it's an awesome album. Some of my all-time faves on that disc.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm...I thought the first post was going to say, "...from his Ipod" but I guess he ain't a fan.

Physical Graffiti don't get as much love but it's an awesome album. Some of my all-time faves on that disc.
Doesn't get much love? It was rated the #3 all time best double album by Rolling Stone at one time.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MP3 has done more to destroy good music than disco and rap... :D

I studied music for a while and one of the guys in the dorm was a complete audiophile. You know those old plastic milk crates that would hold four gallon jugs of milk? The guy had probably a dozen of them fill with vinyl -- and he said that was just a selection of his collection that he couldn't live without -- and he had a really nice turn table leading to a tube amp. Kind of a pain in the ass, but the sound was FUCKING AMAZING. Someday I'd like to get a set up like that. I don't even have a turntable, but I've been collecting vinyls in anticipation.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and he had a really nice turn table leading to a tube amp.
I've still have my Pioneer/Bose/Technics setup from the 70's. It still cranks out better sound than any PC speaker system today. Love playing my half speed masters on the turntable, but even my CD's have better sound quality than MP3 files.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't get much love? It was rated the #3 all time best double album by Rolling Stone at one time.

Ask a college sophomore what their favorite Zeppelin album is, and 40% of them will go "Zoso" while another 20-30% will name one of the first three albums. I was the same way when I first got into their stuff.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've still have my Pioneer/Bose/Technics setup from the 70's. It still cranks out better sound than any PC speaker system today. Love playing my half speed masters on the turntable, but even my CD's have better sound quality than MP3 files.

Nice! I agree with you about CDs being better. I don't buy MP3 files, I buy CDs and rip them to MP3 for my phone and whatnot.

I got a new car a couple of months ago and it doesn't even have a CD player - Bluetooth straight from my phone to the system, which I think further degrades the fidelity. I didn't think it would bother me as much as it is, but I'm kind of regretting the decision. Might have one installed. The sound from XM/Sirius isn't bad, though.

It does have a place for a SD card and I'm thinking of ripping some choice CDs at the highest possible sound quality MP3, loading them on a card and seeing how that works.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask a college sophomore what their favorite Zeppelin album is, and 40% of them will go "Zoso" while another 20-30% will name one of the first three albums. I was the same way when I first got into their stuff.

Ask a college sophomore to explain the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground and you'll likely get equally confused responses.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right, but the first time I heard Physical Graffiti right after it was released the other Zep albums became an after thought for the most part. I was just surprised at good that album was after that crap album "Houses of the Holy".

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask a college sophomore to explain the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground and you'll likely get equally confused responses.

Hopefully most of them figure things out when they get a little older. Some of us are slower to change.

You might be right, but the first time I heard Physical Graffiti right after it was released the other Zep albums became an after thought for the most part. I was just surprised at good that album was after that crap album "Houses of the Holy".

Really? You didn't like HOTH? I thought it was pretty good aside from the album artwork

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does have a place for a SD card and I'm thinking of ripping some choice CDs at the highest possible sound quality MP3, loading them on a card and seeing how that works.
I don't know if the SD players in autos can handle the format but rip them to WAV format for the best quality. You could also download the free Audacity sound editor to try and put back some sonic quality in MP3 format, though I really haven't had much luck in getting any true fidelity in MP3 files.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? You didn't like HOTH? I thought it was pretty good aside from the album artwork
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was released at about the same time. After Zep's first four and Sabbath's first four, HOTH was a total failure whereas Sabbath Bloody Sabbath just continued the greatness of Black Sabbath in my opinion.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be right, but the first time I heard Physical Graffiti right after it was released the other Zep albums became an after thought for the most part. I was just surprised at good that album was after that crap album "Houses of the Holy".[/QUOTE]

Can't agree with that.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just surprised at good that album was after that crap album "Houses of the Holy".
th

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sorry guys, HOTH was a total disappointment after LZ IV (or Runes or Zoso or whatever). There were a lot better albums released at about the same time as HOTH that I still listen to, Trower's Bridge of Sighs for one, and the aforementioned Black Sabbath. I probably haven't listened to HOTH but twice since I finally bought a CD of it in the mid-80s. It just doesn't do anything for me. And then came Physical Graffiti and I knew HOTH was mediocre at best.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zep II is my favorite, however Trampled Under Foot is my favorite song so I have some love for Physical Graffiti.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry guys, HOTH was a total disappointment after LZ IV (or Runes or Zoso or whatever). There were a lot better albums released at about the same time as HOTH that I still listen to, Trower's Bridge of Sighs for one, and the aforementioned Black Sabbath. I probably haven't listened to HOTH but twice since I finally bought a CD of it in the mid-80s. It just doesn't do anything for me. And then came Physical Graffiti and I knew HOTH was mediocre at best.

KansasSooner

Aces & eights
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, it's just my opinion...and you have yours. That's what makes music what it is, enjoyable for you and me, just different takes on some it. :suds: