• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Measuring the importance of each band member to his or her respective band

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How responsible was each member of his/her band to his/her band? Like in a percentage form, where the band's worth is 100% and each member has a percentage that he/she contributed. Contributions can take the form of

• Songwriting
  • Vocals/singing
  • How effective or good the instruments he/she plays is in the band's music
  • The musical direction of the band (i.e., a band member saying that their band should do more progressive music, for example)
  • And anything else related to music that you think the band member contributed to the band's music output
For example, using Keith Richards giving the criteria above- Keith wrote a lot of songs, sang lead once or twice on an album, had background vocals, playing a wicked lead and rhythm guitar, played bass guitar sometimes, and often (successfully) tried to steer the Stones into a more blues and straight rock n roll band, such as when they released Exile on Main St.

So take some popular bands, take each band member at their most popular/classic lineup (or whatever lineup), and assign a percentage of contribution to each band member. I'll start with the most popular rock band of all time.

John Lennon: 35%
Paul McCartney: 35%
George Harrison: 25%
Ringo Starr: 5%

This was a very tough one. Obviously, John and Paul wrote >90% of the band's songs. I feel like it's a wash whose songs were better. I believe that George led their music direction, which is arguably equally important as the song's lyrics. Obviously, he was the lead guitarist and most of their memorable sound could (IMO) be credited to him. Ringo gets 5% because his drumming fit their style.

Here are some other bands that I'd like input on (and honestly have no clue the answer):

The Rolling Stones (any Brian Jones apologists out there?)
Led Zeppelin (this one interests me most- could be an even quarter for each member)
The Velvet Underground (was it a Lou Reed one-man show, or did John Cale have more influence/impact than many might believe?)
Pink Floyd

and any other bands you guys come up with.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alls I know is Skynyrd is nothing without Ronnie Van Zant and Marshall Tucker is nothing without Toy Caldwell.

Allman Brothers kept going strong after Duane Allman's death though

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its completely subjective because it depends on the band. Are you asking about individual bands, or an aggregate of all bands. Rush, for example, Neil wrote all the lyrics and obviously drums, but Geddy orchestrated the bass and keys. You could argue Alex had the least significant input based on that, but his filthy riffage is probably most impactful to Joe Blow out there (ie non musicians.) Primus, Les is obviously the most important member. 311, Id say has a pretty solid equilibrium. Allman Bros....just depends on the era and membership.

Every band has a different internal dynamic, but there is always a defacto leader in one way or another. That could be deaking with bookings or management, or it could be songwriting vetoes. The best groups tend to either have such a dynamic and embrace it for what it is without fuss, or they have an equitable distribution that all members agree upon. When you dont have those things, you get the hot mess that is Fleetwood Mac, or the random ass uncohesive sound Styx put out when you have two different forces trying to drive the ship.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you asking about individual bands, or an aggregate of all bands.
Not sure what you're asking here.

I'm asking for- say Fleetwood Mac- what percentage did each band member (Nicks, Fleetwood, Christine McVie, etc.) contribute to Fleetwood Mac's musical output/success?

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what you're asking here.

I'm asking for- say Fleetwood Mac- what percentage did each band member (Nicks, Fleetwood, Christine McVie, etc.) contribute to Fleetwood Mac's musical output/success?
No, I made it quite clear I wasnt sure what you were asking first guy :pound:

I asked if you were asking about particular bands (you are) or just bands in general...does the bass or guitar or keys or horns etc overall contribute more (you aren't)

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I made it quite clear I wasnt sure what you were asking first guy :pound:

I asked if you were asking about particular bands (you are) or just bands in general...does the bass or guitar or keys or horns etc overall contribute more (you aren't)
Ah, I see. Yeah, you got it right. I'm asking about particular bands

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alls I know is Skynyrd is nothing without Ronnie Van Zant and Marshall Tucker is nothing without Toy Caldwell...

Truer words could not be spoken... especially about Marshall Tucker Band. Toy was the absolute heart and soul of that thing. That mess floating around in Tour the last 20+ years is a disaster.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truer words could not be spoken... especially about Marshall Tucker Band. Toy was the absolute heart and soul of that thing. That mess floating around in Tour the last 20+ years is a disaster.

I went and saw them in Hiawassee last year. It was a joke and a damn shame for one of my all time favorite bands.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
John Lennon: 35%
Paul McCartney: 35%
George Harrison: 25%
Ringo Starr: 5%
I feel like this is a generation thing. If you're a Silent Generation person, you think its McCartney first. If you're a Boomer, its Lennon first. If you're Gen X or a Millennial then you probably respect Harrison's talent the most.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like this is a generation thing. If you're a Silent Generation person, you think its McCartney first. If you're a Boomer, its Lennon first. If you're Gen X or a Millennial then you probably respect Harrison's talent the most.
You see, this is why everyone knows you’re a goddamn robot.

Ok, I’ll bite. What the fuck does one’s age have to do with which Beatle is viewed as the most contributive to the band? I’m genuinely curious. LOL.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I’ll bite. What the fuck does one’s age have to do with which Beatle is viewed as the most contributive to the band? I’m genuinely curious. LOL.
A lot of it is political, right? Lennon said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus and if you're super old then you probably remember that. Lennon and Harrison were big into the Indian influences. If you want to remove the politics from the Beatles then the Beatle that you're most likely to like is McCartney I'd imagine.

If you were a hippie or into hippie counter culture then you're going to put Lennon on a pedestal.

As far as Harrison is concerned:

Opinion | Jeff Slate: Why George Harrison has become the most popular Beatle

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you kids need to delve into the jazz/rock/fusion realm and get back to us with your takes.....but please make sure you check out bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever, & Mahavishnu Orchestra before doing so.

Thanks in advance.

:suds:

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you kids need to delve into the jazz/rock/fusion realm and get back to us with your takes.....but please make sure you check out bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever, & Mahavishnu Orchestra before doing so.

Thanks in advance.

:suds:
@septimusgreen Sounds like we've got someone who knows a thing or two on this shithole board after all.

Tai Chi≈Surfing

Phenom~Vet~HOFer
San Francisco -- The edge of the western world.
Hoopla Cash
$ 147,849.53
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

septimusgreen

Posting under the influence.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An epic masterpiece.....

00:00 So What
09:24 Freddie Freeloader
19:13 Blue In Green
24:50 All Blues
36:25 Flamenco Sketches
45:50 Flamenco Sketches (Alternate Take)

Nice to see another music savvy poster. I’m on a gig atm but just wanted to introduce myself. Looking forward to some intelligent music discussion in the future. Cheers!

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's too goddamn funky in here