• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Measuring the importance of each band member to his or her respective band

CB3UK

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An epic masterpiece.....

00:00 So What
09:24 Freddie Freeloader
19:13 Blue In Green
24:50 All Blues
36:25 Flamenco Sketches
45:50 Flamenco Sketches (Alternate Take)

Look at that lineup. It's like a damned All American list. Just pure filth.

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I can't say that ANY member of any jazz or jazz fusion band that I'm into is any more or any less important than any other player in that band. I suppose you could make an argument for importance with someone like Coltrane or Miles, but I really do think it's the equal collective sum of all parts that make recordings and performances so special.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you kids need to delve into the jazz/rock/fusion realm and get back to us with your takes.....but please make sure you check out bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever, & Mahavishnu Orchestra before doing so.

Thanks in advance.

:suds:
Jesus, get the fuck out of my thread

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Creedence Clearwater Revival is a great example of "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts." Without Fogerty, CCR would have never existed. But without CCR, Fogerty never achieved the same level of success he had with the band. However, the historical context in which bands like CCR played has a huge influence. I'm currently reading Roger Daltrey's autobiography, "Thanks A Lot Mr. Kibblewhite," and he touches on the unique chemistry in bands. Great read.

GeekSportsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of you kids need to delve into the jazz/rock/fusion realm and get back to us with your takes.....but please make sure you check out bands like Weather Report, Return to Forever, & Mahavishnu Orchestra before doing so.

Thanks in advance.

:suds:
No f'ing way! I had a roommate back in the 70s that was into Weather Report, and it drove me up a wall. Even under the influence of various mind altering substances did not enhance that type of music. Just give me a couple of guitars, bass and drums, stereo turned up to ten, and I'm a happy camper.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went and saw them in Hiawassee last year. It was a joke and a damn shame for one of my all time favorite bands.

I saw this incarnation several years ago at a local place that was building a reputation for bringing in quality acts. My wife and I literally got up and walked out after 30 minutes. The owner asked me if I enjoyed the night. I told him "you have a nice place here but as a fan of Marshall Tucker, I have to say that was the worst show I've ever attended."

Just as you said - a joke.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But as a guy who has never been a fan of the Beatles(gone as far as to say that their only good song was a Carl Perkins cover), and as a millenial, George Harrison is by far my favorite Beatle. I really like a lot of his solo work, and I like the Traveling Wilburys. I won't put a percentage on his importance to the Beatles since I'm not a fan of the band, but just sharing my thoughts on who the coolest Beatle was.

George also played at Carl Perkins' funeral, and this right here is what first got me looking into his stuff:

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus, get the fuck out of my thread

Lol.. and it turns into yet another "post random videos of albums I like" thread. Can't ever have enough of those, eh ? Good effort anyway.

Keith - 40%
Mick - 40%
Brian Jones - 10%
Everyone else - 10%

Mick & Keith are the Stones. Ultimately, everyone else was/is a replaceable part, which is not to dismiss their contributions to their music, though I guess it does. But they wrote the songs and their songs are what made them the success they were. Keith is the leader.. it's basically his band and they sound the way he wants them to sound. It's also impossible to imagine them having nearly the success they've had with anyone else as a singer/front man.

I gave Jones his own 10% for getting the band together. He was their best musician and he did add some interesting colors to their early sound, but ultimately, and obviously, he was replaceable as they went on to make some of their greatest and most popular music for years after he died.