• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jerry Jones Get's Called Out

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh thanks I didn't read every page, but was baffled with the bigot term for Jones

Because if you have black guys on your team and you don't let them do whatever they want whenever they want you're running a plantation.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because if you have black guys on your team and you don't let them do whatever they want whenever they want you're running a plantation.
Pretty much. Dick Sherman is so out to lunch on this it makes me wonder if he's ever had a real job a day in his life. If it means "do what I say or you're fired", practically every boss I've ever had had a "plantation mentality." Smh.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. Dick Sherman is so out to lunch on this it makes me wonder if he's ever had a real job a day in his life. If it means "do what I say or you're fired", practically every boss I've ever had had a "plantation mentality." Smh.

I can see a player saying, "You can't make me stand there for the anthem". That can be a work place issue as no other employer makes anyone do that. That's probably why the NFL put the option of staying in the locker room. But, the employer can certainly say "If you are going to be out there you will stand at attention and not bring your personal politics into the business".

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see a player saying, "You can't make me stand there for the anthem". That can be a work place issue as no other employer makes anyone do that. That's probably why the NFL put the option of staying in the locker room. But, the employer can certainly say "If you are going to be out there you will stand at attention and not bring your personal politics into the business".

In order to do that they will need to currently change the rule that is place. The NFL does not have a requirement that players have to stand for the anthem. Right now an NFL Team cannot discipline a player for refusing to stand. The only option they have right now is to cut a player because player contracts are not guaranteed.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In order to do that they will need to currently change the rule that is place. The NFL does not have a requirement that players have to stand for the anthem. Right now an NFL Team cannot discipline a player for refusing to stand. The only option they have right is to cut a player because player contracts are not guaranteed.

There actually is a rule that they have to stand at attention with their helmets in the left hand in the protocol manual. They simply choose not to enforce it or leave it to the individual teams. I believe the penalties may be against team and not the player but there is a rule. I'll see if I can find it.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found it. This is from Sports Illustrated last year just before the season started

Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There actually is a rule that they have to stand at attention with their helmets in the left hand in the protocol manual. They simply choose not to enforce it or leave it to the individual teams. I believe the penalties may be against team and not the player but there is a rule. I'll see if I can find it.

hmmm...... I was under the impression the did not. Guess I was wrong. Will have to look that one up myself.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Found it. This is from Sports Illustrated last year just before the season started

Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:

"The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."

Key word here is should not required and they can only be disciplined for not being on the field nothing more.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Key word here is should not required and they can only be disciplined for not being on the field nothing more.

Those are semantics they can argue over. Since the NFL didn't enforce it in the slightest I think the players would win that argument. But, if the owners say they can't kneel I think that's a workplace issue the owners can win pretty easily. Everyone has a right to protest peacefully but you don't have the right to do it at work.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those are semantics they can argue over. Since the NFL didn't enforce it in the slightest I think the players would win that argument. But, if the owners say they can't kneel I think that's a workplace issue the owners can win pretty easily. Everyone has a right to protest peacefully but you don't have the right to do it at work.

I can see your point but IMO in this case they will lose if they all of a sudden decided to tell a player they cannot kneel. I don't think any court will rule on the NFL's side if they tried to punish someone for it. Then there is the employer/employee relationship. NFL players could be considered contractors and not employees since all contracts are not the same. But I am not going to sit here and pretend to know labor law....I could be completely wrong.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see your point but IMO in this case they will lose if they all of a sudden decided to tell a player they cannot kneel. I don't think any court will rule on the NFL's side if they tried to punish someone for it. Then there is the employer/employee relationship. NFL players could be considered contractors and not employees since all contracts are not the same. But I am not going to sit here and pretend to know labor law....I could be completely wrong.

The NFL giving them the opportunity to stay in the locker room makes me think the NFL could win. Throw in that there is precedence with the NBA already having that rule in place. Perhaps the players association can drag it out until the next collective bargaining.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL giving them the opportunity to stay in the locker room makes me think the NFL could win. Throw in that there is precedence with the NBA already having that rule in place. Perhaps the players association can drag it out until the next collective bargaining.

My understanding that new rule has been put on hold and is longer a rule. My thinking is they caved because they did not think they could win because the NFLPA filed a grievance because the NFL installed this rule without including them. The thing with the NBA is that their contracts are 100% guaranteed that gives the owners of the NBA more bargaining power to install rules they want. The NFL players don't have the luxury of that. They can be cut at any time for any reason and not be owed any more money.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding that new rule has been put on hold and is longer a rule. My thinking is they caved because they did not think they could win because the NFLPA filed a grievance because the NFL installed this rule without including them. The thing with the NBA is that their contracts are 100% guaranteed that gives the owners of the NBA more bargaining power to install rules they want. The NFL players don't have the luxury of that. They can be cut at any time for any reason and not be owed any more money.

Either way it should be interesting. I think another reason the NFL backed off on the new rule was that some of the owners came right out and said they'd pay any fines for the players.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either way it should be interesting. I think another reason the NFL backed off on the new rule was that some of the owners came right out and said they'd pay any fines for the players.

Makes sense. I think a rule should be in place to be honest but it should be collectively bargained. I get that players may want to protest but it should not disrupt things. I think the NFL was so rushed into getting something implement they did not completely think it through. All part of Goodell having way too much power. There has to be a compromise in there somewhere.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes sense. I think a rule should be in place to be honest but it should be collectively bargained. I get that players may want to protest but it should not disrupt things. I think the NFL was so rushed into getting something implement they did not completely think it through. All part of Goodell having way too much power. There has to be a compromise in there somewhere.

You and I are pretty much on the same page. Quite frankly, I'm more concerned with the new hitting with the helmet rule turning into another mess where no one, not even the refs know exactly what the rule is

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And lets make it clear, there are pissed off people on both sides.

Well, the only way that matters is if one of those pissed off people increases ticket sales and viewership. Because I know that there is one group of pissed off people who are done with the NFL until they get their act together. I highly doubt there are many people that all of a sudden watch the NFL or buy tickets to support the kneelers.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, the only way that matters is if one of those pissed off people increases ticket sales and viewership. Because I know that there is one group of pissed off people who are done with the NFL until they get their act together. I highly doubt there are many people that all of a sudden watch the NFL or buy tickets to support the kneelers.
That's catchy.

"Support The Kneelers"

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, I'm saying there are pissed off people, who support the kneelers, but isn't watching because the NFL is against it.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I'm saying there are pissed off people, who support the kneelers, but isn't watching because the NFL is against it.

I know there are pissed off people on both sides. But in regards to the NFL, only one of the pissed off groups impacts them, thus they only care about them.

NFL is beholden to no one but the almight dollar. Threaten their revenue and you can change their rules.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
According to the Washington Post data base, which records all people killed by police, last year blacks were 15% of the over all population and 22% of people killed by police.

And most people who commit crimes in China are Chinese.

If you go by total arrests instead of population (we're talking about people the police are trying to arrest), the higher percentage of people who get shot is made up of whites.