• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jeremy Lin to the Lakers

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was into the heavyweights. Joe Frazier, Ali, Foreman, Norton, Holmes, and on and on. They were always fighting each other on Wide World of Sports with Howard Cosell!!

Seems like yesterday.
It so sucks how fast time flies.
If I recall, Superstars would precede Wide World for part of the year.

They should bring that type of competition back, of course the athletes these days would want millions of dollars.

Loved the heavyweights too. Those guys all fought each other like it was a tournament. Great times.

Think you're right about Superstars turnup. Unfortunately, with todays athletes, it's like the dunk contest in the NBA, good luck getting guys we actually want to see to participate.

And to the inevitable poster who is going to post something about us old guys talking about the "good ol' days"..........................................................GET OFF MY LAWN!!:lol:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ali said the hardest he was ever hit was when he fought Ernie Shavers. Larry Holmes said the same.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ali said the hardest he was ever hit was when he fought Ernie Shavers. Larry Holmes said the same.

Yeah, Earnie was a beast. Most consider him the hardest puncher of all time. Anyone remember who the guy was that they used to broadcast some of his fights from Rahway Prison?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Lin will be good for the Lakers, but what do they do about Nash now?

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well since they didnt do the stretch provision, i imagine no matter what he plays, starter or bench player, hes looking at 20mins a night barring a hell of a game.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,296.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got a 1st & 2nd rounder plus Lin.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think with or without Jeremy lin nash wasn't going to play much if at all...hell out of his own mouth hes been saying only thing guaranteed about him next season is hes getting paid. I expect it to be similar to last year...will give it a go to start season and start sitting out within first month due to injuries.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
think with or without Jeremy lin nash wasn't going to play much if at all...hell out of his own mouth hes been saying only thing guaranteed about him next season is hes getting paid. I expect it to be similar to last year...will give it a go to start season and start sitting out within first month due to injuries.

I hope at the trade deadline they try to dump his contract for something in return. I wish they would do it now, but I doubt a salary dump trade like that would have a lot of value right now. After a half season though surely some team would be glad to take that expiring contract.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, If Lin plays well he is automatically a trade chip especially if the team plays horrible. Lets hope Kobe hates him lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell happened to the boxing thread? :lol:

Seriously though, I expect that the Lakers will keep Nash, eat the full $9 mil and hope he can have 1 last good season.

The only way I see him getting stretched is if they need it for a young player who can make an immediate impact.

There is a rumor that the Lakers have reached out to Lance Stephenson. That is a player I could see them using the stretch provision for. Using it to just sign "some guy" because they probably won't get much out of Nash, would be a mistake, imo.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seriously though, I expect that the Lakers will keep Nash, eat the full $9 mil and hope he can have 1 last good season.

The only way I see him getting stretched is if they need it for a young player who can make an immediate impact.

There is a rumor that the Lakers have reached out to Lance Stephenson. That is a player I could see them using the stretch provision for. Using it to just sign "some guy" because they probably won't get much out of Nash, would be a mistake, imo.

Remember the Hagler vs Sugar Ray fight?

My first PPV

I thought Hagler got screwed.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoping a 40 year old player with a long history of back problems o have ONE LAST GOOD SEASON - is like asking a democrat to cut spending and lower taxes. That is not going to happen

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even with stretching Nash, I don't think they can pay him more than Indiana's offer.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember the Hagler vs Sugar Ray fight?

My first PPV

I thought Hagler got screwed.

Yeah, he did and I was for Leonard in that one. Leonard was smart though. He did most of his work with "flurries" at the end of rounds and stole a few rounds that should have gone to Hagler.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoping a 40 year old player with a long history of back problems o have ONE LAST GOOD SEASON - is like asking a democrat to cut spending and lower taxes. That is not going to happen

I agree. But it's still better to eat the contract and hope for that, than it is to stretch him just to sign some guy.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. But it's still better to eat the contract and hope for that, than it is to stretch him just to sign some guy.

The Lakers would have been better to given Nash more money for two years and been done - that would have been smarter

The Lakers second ignorant move was 48 million to Kobe for two years

Then there was Mike Brown

Then there was Mike D'umbasstoni instead of Phil Jackson

:L

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys its now clear that the Lakers will start the rebuild process starting 2014/2015.

They once again struck out on free agency (actually they never did build through it) and now see there will be no rings for Kobe. That era is over in LA.

This deal for Lin is an excellent move as while they overpay for a average player, they get the valuable pick that is at the heart of this deal.

They dont have many picks but they need to start finding assets somewhere. Once they get a nucleus of young talent they should attract some free agents, albeit not franchise turning like Melo and Lebron.

Its going to test LA fans patience but its the proce to pay for the 2011 to 2014 period that will go down in LA history as some of the most dysfunctional dynamics in its storied franchise.

Can they move Kobe's contract is the next discussion.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guys its now clear that the Lakers will start the rebuild process starting 2014/2015.

They once again struck out on free agency (actually they never did build through it) and now see there will be no rings for Kobe. That era is over in LA.

This deal for Lin is an excellent move as while they overpay for a average player, they get the valuable pick that is at the heart of this deal.

They dont have many picks but they need to start finding assets somewhere. Once they get a nucleus of young talent they should attract some free agents, albeit not franchise turning like Melo and Lebron.

Its going to test LA fans patience but its the proce to pay for the 2011 to 2014 period that will go down in LA history as some of the most dysfunctional dynamics in its storied franchise.

Can they move Kobe's contract is the next discussion.

I highly doubt they want to. They (meaning team and Kobe) HAD to know his deal would set them back a couple years.
The summer of '16 should be huge for them, though.
Possibly Love next year, but he wouldn't prob more than likely wouldn't even make them a playoff contender.