• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jay Cutler

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem is, I've remembered Cutler for 11 years now... 92.8 rating use to be excellent... In today's modern era, it isn't anything to write home about...

As recently as 2013, a 92.8 rating would easily get a QB into the top 10. There's been a significant increase in league passer rating in the last 2 seasons. I don't know if what we've seen the last 2 years is gonna be the new norm. The level of QB play the last 2 years has been the highest it has ever been.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember that Cutler has had to deal with a decimated receiver group this season. Jeffery/Royal/Bennett have missed significant time and have been limited when they have played due to nagging injuries. So it's tough for a QB to put up truly BIG numbers in a situation like that.

But Cutler's numbers are still very good. Most would agree that 92.8 is a VERY good passer rating. Most years 92.8 will easily get a QB into the top 10 in the passer ratings. However this year the level of QB play across the league has been very high. Much higher than normal. The average passer rating among starting QBs this season is 90.9. It's exceptional that the average is that high. Cutler's rating is 92.8. So even though the average passer rating is very high this season, Cutler's rating is still above the average. So unlike what you claim, Cutler's numbers do compare very well to other QBs in the league. A 92.8 rating is an excellent season.
Basically, Cutler's career year is an average season by NFL quarterback standards.

Time to give it up: Cutler will never be a great qb.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, Cutler's career year is an average season by NFL quarterback standards.

Never thought I'd see the day that someone would argue that a QB with a 92.8 rating is playing average football. Just a few years ago, that type of rating would get a QB ranked 8th or 9th in the NFL. Just terrific overall QB play the last 2 seasons. But again, Cutler's rating this season is about 2 points higher than the league average. So he IS above average this season.

I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB. I think he's a good QB. Not great, but above average. Cutler has a higher career passer rating than QBs like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. Most people consider those guys good, above average QBs. Yet many people don't consider Cutler one, even though his career numbers are better than those guys. Football is a team sport. Manning and Flacco have been fortunate to be on some very good teams. Cutler has had an inordinate amount of bad luck. But I think that will be changing the next couple seasons under John Fox. He makes teams contenders quickly!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Even if we go by his "most years that would put you top-10" it would still be 9th or 10th most years. So at best you could say Cutler has been a borderline top-10 QB once in his career. I mean we can say the same thing about Nick Foles having his one great year. One decent season doesn't eliminate an entire career of mediocre at best QB play.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we go by his "most years that would put you top-10" it would still be 9th or 10th most years. So at best you could say Cutler has been a borderline top-10 QB once in his career. I mean we can say the same thing about Nick Foles having his one great year. One decent season doesn't eliminate an entire career of mediocre at best QB play.

I really think he's had a lot of bad luck though. He's had to deal with terrible defenses. He's had to deal with terrible offensive lines. Heck there was a season where a special teams player was his top receiver! There was a season he had a 7-3 record, but then broke his thumb making a tackle after an INT that wasn't even his fault. So he might have been in the playoffs that season had his WR not deflected a pefectly thrown ball. Talk about dumb luck. I'm not saying Cutler is blameless. He's done some bad things. But he has been a pretty good QB in his career. Guys that have his type of career numbers usually make the playoffs more than once. 86.0 is pretty solid for a career passer rating. Again better than guys like Eli Manning and Flacco.

Cutler's play has definitely been much improved this season. Who would've thought that he'd be the ONLY starting QB (with at least 10 starts) in the NFL without a multiple INT game? He really seems to have embraced John Fox's conservative style. Let's see what they do in the next couple years. I'm betting they make it to a super bowl.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd see the day that someone would argue that a QB with a 92.8 rating is playing average football. Just a few years ago, that type of rating would get a QB ranked 8th or 9th in the NFL. Just terrific overall QB play the last 2 seasons. But again, Cutler's rating this season is about 2 points higher than the league average. So he IS above average this season.

I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB. I think he's a good QB. Not great, but above average. Cutler has a higher career passer rating than QBs like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. Most people consider those guys good, above average QBs.

For one, it's called a "Bell-Curve", which is why Cutler's #19 QBR ranking isn't that impressive... He's just average...

Secondly, Eli has a better QBR this season than Jay... This is the first time Jay's gotten over 89 throughout his career...

Also, I never thought Flacco was that great so I'm the wrong guy to use that comparison with...

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For one, it's called a "Bell-Curve", which is why Cutler's #19 QBR ranking isn't that impressive... He's just average...

Secondly, Eli has a better QBR this season than Jay... This is the first time Jay's gotten over 89 throughout his career...

Also, I never thought Flacco was that great so I'm the wrong guy to use that comparison with...

Cutler is ranked #17 out of 35 in the passer ratings right now. However the 5 guys ahead of him all have a passer rating that is less than 1 point higher than Cutler. That's why I think the 17 is a bit deceiving. His rating is almost the same as the guys that are ranked 12 and 13. Cutler could easily move up to #12 with a good game against the Lions Sunday. We'll see see where he finishes. Again 92.8 has always been considered a very good rating. I don't see it as average, just because there are a bunch of QBs just a FRACTION ahead of him in the passer ratings.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cutler is ranked #17 out of 35 in the passer ratings right now. However the 5 guys ahead of him all have a passer rating that is less than 1 point higher than Cutler. That's why I think the 17 is a bit deceiving. His rating is almost the same as the guys that are ranked 12 and 13. Cutler could easily move up to #12 with a good game against the Lions Sunday. We'll see see where he finishes. Again 92.8 has always been considered a very good rating. I don't see it as average, just because there are a bunch of QBs just a FRACTION ahead of him in the passer ratings.

But you are looking at this in a vacuum. The rest of us are looking at the fact that for his entire career he has been average at best. I mean his BEST QB Rating season he was 13th in the league. His worst he was 21st. Most seasons he finished between 16th and 19th. That to me is the very definition of an average QB. So the fact that he once again this year even though his QB Rating is higher than his average for his career yet he is still right in the middle of the pack where he has always been. I don't see this as him having turned a corner but as him doing about what is expected of him.

And because of that him making the playoffs once in his career well sounds just about right. Maybe he has had a bit of bad luck injury wise that has kept him out maybe one or two more times but that is about it. You can blame his OL, injuries, bad defense but every QB in the league has had those things. If he needs a perfect team to win it all then good luck to him because the Salary Cap all but guarantees that doesn't happen in the NFL. You are always going to have weak spots on the team. The good to great QB's figure out a way to overcome that.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But you are looking at this in a vacuum. The rest of us are looking at the fact that for his entire career he has been average at best. I mean his BEST QB Rating season he was 13th in the league. His worst he was 21st. Most seasons he finished between 16th and 19th. That to me is the very definition of an average QB. So the fact that he once again this year even though his QB Rating is higher than his average for his career yet he is still right in the middle of the pack where he has always been. I don't see this as him having turned a corner but as him doing about what is expected of him.

And because of that him making the playoffs once in his career well sounds just about right. Maybe he has had a bit of bad luck injury wise that has kept him out maybe one or two more times but that is about it. You can blame his OL, injuries, bad defense but every QB in the league has had those things. If he needs a perfect team to win it all then good luck to him because the Salary Cap all but guarantees that doesn't happen in the NFL. You are always going to have weak spots on the team. The good to great QB's figure out a way to overcome that.

Again, the 12th rated passer this season has a rating that isn't even 1 full point ahead of Cutler. So Cutler could easily move up to #12 with a good game vs Detroit Sunday. Let's see where he finishes.

I think a 92.8 rating is good progress fore Cutler, since he's never had a rating higher than the 80s. And he's done it with an offense that has been hit very hard by injuries. Look at how he did it Sunday vs the Bucs. He had no Jeffery, and Royal was playing sick. Royal dropped an easy TD pass and couldn't play well. All Cutler could do was dink and dunk with short passes all game long, and he did it very well and put up a 100 passer rating. The Cutler of the past would have tried to force things. You have to admit that he made good progress this season. Only 8 interceptions? That's terrific for a guy that has always thrown too many INTs.

I've followed Cutler closely since he's been with the Bears. Other than a couple seasons under Lovie Smith, he has had bad teams to work with. Look at what has happened to Drew Brees the last couple seasons. His record is bad. Does that mean that Brees is no longer a good QB? No, his teams have just been too bad the last 2 years. A QB needs help, no matter how good he is. Cutler has had the bad luck of being on a lot of bad teams. Hopefully that'll be changing now under Fox. Despite the 6-9 record, you could see the progress the Bears are making. They lost several close games, like the one where Robbie Gould missed the 36 yard chip shot that would have won the game. I think they're gonna be a good team next year and this nonsense of Cutler keep missing the playoffs will stop.

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, the 12th rated passer this season has a rating that isn't even 1 full point ahead of Cutler. So Cutler could easily move up to #12 with a good game vs Detroit Sunday. Let's see where he finishes.

I think a 92.8 rating is good progress fore Cutler, since he's never had a rating higher than the 80s. And he's done it with an offense that has been hit very hard by injuries. Look at how he did it Sunday vs the Bucs. He had no Jeffery, and Royal was playing sick. Royal dropped an easy TD pass and couldn't play well. All Cutler could do was dink and dunk with short passes all game long, and he did it very well and put up a 100 passer rating. The Cutler of the past would have tried to force things. You have to admit that he made good progress this season. Only 8 interceptions? That's terrific for a guy that has always thrown too many INTs.

I've followed Cutler closely since he's been with the Bears. Other than a couple seasons under Lovie Smith, he has had bad teams to work with. Look at what has happened to Drew Brees the last couple seasons. His record is bad. Does that mean that Brees is no longer a good QB? No, his teams have just been too bad the last 2 years. A QB needs help, no matter how good he is. Cutler has had the bad luck of being on a lot of bad teams. Hopefully that'll be changing now under Fox. Despite the 6-9 record, you could see the pogress the Bears are making. They lost several close games, like the one where Robbie Gould missed the 36 yard chip shot that would have won the game. I think they're gonna be a good team next year and this nonsense of Cutler keep missing the playoffs will stop.

Huge difference though between Brees and Cutler. While yes the Saints have struggled a lot Brees has not been part of the problem. Even with his team being terrible he still has found a way to put up very good numbers. I mean he has had some serious injuries this year and yet has still put up a QB Rating over 100 this year. He has always been top-10 no matter how good or bad his team has been around him.

Now Cutler made some strides but he is still middle of the pack when it comes to QB's in the NFL. Even if he does move up to 12th say he has a great Sunday this Sunday against a bad Lions team. That is still just barely above average for the NFL and you could argue then for all the players behind him that they deserved to be ahead of him.

Also the idea injuries being an excuse of those around him. What the heck has Brady had to work with the 2nd half of this season beyond Gronk? Yet he still found ways to elevate very below average players to put up numbers. Drew Brees has been without some of his top targets. Philip Rivers has lost most of his. Cam Newton has had very little to work with. Rodgers lost some of his top targets. Yet all these guys have found a way to put up numbers and stay pretty similar to where they always are. Why in the world should Cutler be treated any differently than these guys? Why should he get the excuse? Cutler is what he has been most of his career of a promising QB that just has never lived up to the hype of when he first entered the league. He can play at an Above Average level but in order to win a Super Bowl with him you have to have Stars around him that make him look better. He has to have a complete team around him to stand a chance of making the playoffs. I view him more as that QB that you keep while you are looking for that franchise QB.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never thought I'd see the day that someone would argue that a QB with a 92.8 rating is playing average football.

I'd say between 1978 and 1994, if you had a QB whose rating averaged 92.8, he'd be right at the fore of top flight quarterbacks in the NFL. He might even be a HOF player. Today? It's average as far as passing is concerned, and nothing more.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I'm saying I'm to lazy to find them as I don't care about the topic to go looking. Also even if some valid ones were posted your Homer glasses would blind you to them. There was probably a reason the Broncos were willing to trade him for Kyle fucking Orton, and I don't think it was his talent that drove that transaction.
Wasn't there an article published after McDaniel was fired that basically stated that he (McDaniel) was way out of line the first time he met cutler? I know there was. You can hate all you want though. I'm sure Cutler really cares what anyone on this message board says.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying Cutler is a great QB. I think he's a good QB. Not great, but above average. Cutler has a higher career passer rating than QBs like Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. Most people consider those guys good, above average QBs. Yet many people don't consider Cutler one, even though his career numbers are better than those guys. Football is a team sport. Manning and Flacco have been fortunate to be on some very good teams. Cutler has had an inordinate amount of bad luck. But I think that will be changing the next couple seasons under John Fox. He makes teams contenders quickly!
You crack me up with your eternal optimism when it comes to Cutler. Last year it was Cutler is on his way to becoming elite. This year it is.... He is a little above average but in the next couple of years he will make the Bears a contender.

So let's see... By season 13, Cutler will be back on track to becoming elite? Maybe in his 15th year he will be a top 5 QB. Heck, by age 45, Cutler will be putting up MVP numbers.

I don't know when you will finally realize, Cutler does not, nor will he ever have "IT". QB rating aside, he makes horrible decisions when the game is on the line. Sure, he has stretches where he looks solid, but his intangibles (a nice way of saying intelligence) are/is way below average.

You seem like a good enough dude so I hate to be so harsh, but facts are facts. Move on from Cutler and start rebuilding. Under normal circumstances I would say draft a QB and let him develop under Cutler, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a good mentor.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You crack me up with your eternal optimism when it comes to Cutler. Last year it was Cutler is on his way to becoming elite. This year it is.... He is a little above average but in the next couple of years he will make the Bears a contender.

So let's see... By season 13, Cutler will be back on track to becoming elite? Maybe in his 15th year he will be a top 5 QB. Heck, by age 45, Cutler will be putting up MVP numbers.

I don't know when you will finally realize, Cutler does not, nor will he ever have "IT". QB rating aside, he makes horrible decisions when the game is on the line. Sure, he has stretches where he looks solid, but his intangibles (a nice way of saying intelligence) are/is way below average.

You seem like a good enough dude so I hate to be so harsh, but facts are facts. Move on from Cutler and start rebuilding. Under normal circumstances I would say draft a QB and let him develop under Cutler, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a good mentor.

You're not being harsh. I don't mind a debate. I disagree about Cutler making bad decisions with the game on the line. He is among the top QBs in the NFL in 4th quarter game winning drives since he's been in the league. Almost every time you need a late 4th quarter drive to tie or win the game, he comes through. He has 3 or 4 of those this season. He is TERRIFIC with the game on the line. And everyone in Chicago has been talking about Cutler's intelligence this season. Gase said that Cutler is one of the most intelligent players he's ever been around. He gave Cutler more freedom at the line and he has been making great decisions. It's just too bad Chicago's offense has had so many key injuries this season.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference though between Brees and Cutler. While yes the Saints have struggled a lot Brees has not been part of the problem. Even with his team being terrible he still has found a way to put up very good numbers. I mean he has had some serious injuries this year and yet has still put up a QB Rating over 100 this year. He has always been top-10 no matter how good or bad his team has been around him.

Now Cutler made some strides but he is still middle of the pack when it comes to QB's in the NFL. Even if he does move up to 12th say he has a great Sunday this Sunday against a bad Lions team. That is still just barely above average for the NFL and you could argue then for all the players behind him that they deserved to be ahead of him.

Also the idea injuries being an excuse of those around him. What the heck has Brady had to work with the 2nd half of this season beyond Gronk? Yet he still found ways to elevate very below average players to put up numbers. Drew Brees has been without some of his top targets. Philip Rivers has lost most of his. Cam Newton has had very little to work with. Rodgers lost some of his top targets. Yet all these guys have found a way to put up numbers and stay pretty similar to where they always are. Why in the world should Cutler be treated any differently than these guys? Why should he get the excuse? Cutler is what he has been most of his career of a promising QB that just has never lived up to the hype of when he first entered the league. He can play at an Above Average level but in order to win a Super Bowl with him you have to have Stars around him that make him look better. He has to have a complete team around him to stand a chance of making the playoffs. I view him more as that QB that you keep while you are looking for that franchise QB.

Both Rivers and Rodgers have a passer rating that's very similar to Cutler's this season. Cutler is 92.8 and Rodgers is 93.7. Hardly any difference. So I guess that means Cutler has done as well as those guys this season at handling a tough situation around him.

Forget Brady. The guy might be the greatest QB of all time. Of course Cutler isn't on the same planet as Brady. I'm not making an argument that Cutler is anywhere near an elite QB like Brady. I just think he's a good, above average QB. Good enough to win a super bowl if he has a good team around him. Again Flacco and Eli Manning won super bowls, and their career passer ratings are lower than Cutler. I want to see what Cutler does now that he has a coach that knows how to make a team a super bowl contender.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And by your reasoning, the 21st rated passer is only a point behind Cutler so he could easily move down to #21...

To paint a picture for you, Aaron Rodgers has had one of his worst seasons, yet he's still a full point higher than Cutler in QBR at 93.6...

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the idea injuries being an excuse of those around him. What the heck has Brady had to work with the 2nd half of this season beyond Gronk? Yet he still found ways to elevate very below average players to put up numbers. Drew Brees has been without some of his top targets. Philip Rivers has lost most of his. Cam Newton has had very little to work with. Rodgers lost some of his top targets. Yet all these guys have found a way to put up numbers and stay pretty similar to where they always are. Why in the world should Cutler be treated any differently than these guys? Why should he get the excuse? Cutler is what he has been most of his career of a promising QB that just has never lived up to the hype of when he first entered the league..

Look what Russell Wilson has had to endure this season... Poor OL, no Marshawn Lynch, Jimmy Graham lost for the season, yet he's been playing at a top 5 level when compared to other QB's this year... Like you stated... Basically, good to great QB's overcome obstacles and still plays good to great... Cutler does neither...

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And by your reasoning, the 21st rated passer is only a point behind Cutler so he could easily move down to #21...

To paint a picture for you, Aaron Rodgers has had one of his worst seasons, yet he's still a full point higher than Cutler in QBR at 93.6...

You're posting incorrect info. The 21st rated passer is NOT 1 point behind Cutler. The 21st rated passer, Bridgewater, has a 90.6 rating. Cutler's rating is 92.8. That's more than 2 points higher than the 21st rated passer.

Cutler's 92.8 rating is 2 points higher than the league average among starting QBs this season. Statistically he is above average this season.

AmericanTebowFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look what Russell Wilson has had to endure this season... Poor OL, no Marshawn Lynch, Jimmy Graham lost for the season, yet he's been playing at a top 5 level when compared to other QB's this year... Like you stated... Basically, good to great QB's overcome obstacles and still plays good to great... Cutler does neither...

Cutler has played to a strong 92.8 rating despite his receivers being injured much of the season. So Cutler overcame obstacles to play good. Not great, but good. Wilson is GREAT. I'm not trying to argue that Cutler is in Wilson's league. I'm just supporting Cutler for the GOOD season he's having. He has taken SO much criticism in his career, so I think he deserves some credit for his improved play this season. It's amazing to me that people are trying to argue that a 92.8 rating isn't good. That has always been a top 10 rating except for the last 2 seasons. Cutler is playing very well and he has done it in a difficult situation (offense decimated by injuries).