• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen to the Bears

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising that Allen went with the money. Will be interesting to see who wins the Leo in training camp.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
:gaah: You lucky bastards! I think you dodged a bullet not signing Allen to all that money. And I'm not just saying that to be nice. Someone posted that Allen signed with Seattle on 20th, and I thusly replied:

From the "Ugh Seattle just got even more harder to beat" thread:

I was really upset when they re-signed Bennett, but I'm actually happy they signed Jared Allen. I always thought he could be the bust of the offseason (long-term). Hope he signed for a ton of up-front money.

That said... Seattle's defense: Ouch.

Meanwhile, the Niners' defense: :noidea: Taking applications for starting CB job. :drink:

A player like Jared Allen for 8 mill' a year at his age is the kind of lazy, uninspired signing that eventually gets GMs fired IMO.

New England & Seattle are doing great this offseason in the players they did & didn't sign IMO. The 49ers, on the other hand, look like they're going into long-term building mode.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the perks of allens contract is that he will have janurary off

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So essentially, after taking a shot at me for being a Huskies fan, you agree that we didn't need him anyway? Typical stupid Coug.

And, no, the Bears do not have a good team, they are mediocre at best. They might make the playoffs, but are not going to win or even go to any SBs anytime in the next 3-4 years that Allen will be on the team.

I agree the Bears were mediocre last year, but I didn't realize you could see into the future. Hmm...

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that a lot of posters were tripping over themselves about how great Allen is before the Bears signed him.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny that a lot of posters were tripping over themselves about how great Allen is before the Bears signed him.
I think the consensus is/was we would all love to have him and think he's great but only to a certain dollar amount. I would not have wanted Allen at that price. I would rather use that money to extend our own players.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the consensus is/was we would all love to have him and think he's great but only to a certain dollar amount. I would not have wanted Allen at that price. I would rather use that money to extend our own players.

:agree:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think any fan would love to have a pass rusher like Allen on their team, but he would have been a luxury for the Seahawks to add to an already impressive group of pass rushers and when you have needs elsewhere, you can only afford to spend so much on luxuries no matter how much you might want them.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Given the strength of the defensive line roster, Allen really bordered on a luxury signing level. One you don't overpay for.

One of the key parts of the Seahawks success is they don't allow vets to be grossly overpaided once their contracts are past the guaranteed part of it.

The Bears have committed a pretty obscene amount of cap space to it's DEs recently. But still have holes all over their D. Allen may get more snaps with them in 2014 and 15, but they are committing a whole lot to get some instantly gratification, instead of building via the draft.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He is good the numbers don't lie... I woulda loved having him in Seattle for season... 15 mil guaranteed is what made him jump because you and I both know he won't be in Chicago for 4 years. He'll be 32 going into next season... If he stays one year the man is getting 15 mil guaranteed. Unless there is something only the Bears know about that contract.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Allen at a 2 year $12M or so deal. YES PLEASE. He's still a very much impact player and a great natural leader.

Allen at a 4 year $32M ($15.5 guaranteed) deal? No, not at 32 years of age.

Everyone always just says, "Yah but you just release him after year 2." Well it doesn't always work like that. If he starts to become a major cog in your wheel and your defense needs him, then you're stuck with that massive contract and have to make decisions to other (in the Hawks case) YOUNGER players. Better to build your team around cheap free agents and draft then sign large contracts to older vets.

Ware was also a ridiculous contract but the Broncos made it perfectly clear they are willing to sacrifice the future to try and win with Peyton now. So that to me is different. I think it's a ridiculous message, but I get it lol. Broncos are going to be a crap team in 3-4 years.

Last edited by a moderator:

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the Bears were mediocre last year, but I didn't realize you could see into the future. Hmm...

Sorry that you don't agree, but from an outsider's view, your team does not appear to be making the right decisions and signings to get better.

All we were saying is that Allen is great, but not for the price the Bears paid to get him. No way would anyone here want him for that amount of money, we have more important players to sign.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What's funny is that you act like a lot of us here ripped Allen or something. Most of us agree that Allen is a great player and it would've been one hell of an addition to an already elite defense, that's why we would love to have him.

However, the price have to be right, so the price and terms were not, so good luck to him. Don't act like we ripped him because he signed with the Bears.:rollseyes:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In what way are we now saying he is shit?

I haven't seen anyone say anything except he is an outstanding player. All most of us said is he was a luxury if we could land him because we already have outstanding pass rushers. He would have seen at most maybe 50% of the snaps on defense? And would have been competing for sacks with two other players with a knack for finding the QB. We all would have been happy to have him if he came cheap, but are happy we didn't overpay for someone that wasn't a critical need.

What part of that are you not understanding? :noidea:

What's funny is how people take offense when their team is called mediocre (when they are) and take it out by putting words in others mouths that were never said. Don't you agree?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jared Allen: 'Just watch me play' with Chicago Bears - NFL.com

He went to the Bears because they have the QB and scheme he fits into… LOL 30th ranked D and Culter has been inconsistent in his career to say the least… It was the money Jared common bro! Good luck to him

Well... I will say a few things that made it a no brainer for Chicago:

1) He was going to get paid more anywhere else that would take him. Seattle was going to offer very minimal (which they did).
2) He gets WAY more playing time in Chicago and they need defensive help.
3) Bringing me to the last point, ALL eyes are on him on defense in Chicago. I mean he wouldn't just be 'another guy' on defense for Seattle, but KIND of. Avril/Bennett (and just you watch this year - Irvin) and of course the LOB get SO much attention on that D... Allen would KIND of be just another guy.

So it made perfect sense for him. He will help that Bears D big time though. Peppers has always had work ethic issues and I think he took some plays off this year. Maybe not, but we'll see.

Kind of funny the Bears signed ANOTHER D lineman though. They already snagged like 3-4 and they were decent FAs.