• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jameis Winston: on the cusp of making history!

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
rarely do GMs want to keep a project player on the roster in there's no reasonable upside.

That's the dilemma here...you don't need a ton of upside...he's giving you plenty of positives..you need him to curb the negative plays.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah. He makes bad decisions. There are only two schools of thought when analysts, coaches and GMs see a quarterback with 33 TDs and 30 INTs: (1) This guy could be pretty good, if only the game slowed down for him, he learned how to better read defenders, and if he was surrounded by a good O-line, capable running game and star WRs, or (2) This guy might be an athletic powerhouse at times, but he makes frequent bonehead decisions because he's really not a starter-calibre QB.

When such a player is young, or the team is in a new offense, it's attractive to protect sunk cost and go with #1. But patience wears thin, and rarely do GMs want to keep a project player on the roster in there's no reasonable upside.
I agree with you on him making bonehead decisions. That's really 90% of the issue, imo. He'll throw into double coverage and completely miss his window or I've seen times where he has a WR open or man to man and completely misses.
But I think the coaches, GM or whoever see that upside as well because when he gets it and is hot, the kid goes off. But he can't seem to carry that on to the next game and certainly not for a whole season. That's why he isn't worth it. In the modern game, turnovers are just too costly to play with fire like that. And I doubt this kid will ever get it.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep..he has the wildest high and low swings at the position in the league...I think Fitz may have been close to this type performance for a season.

It's going to be a tough decision to make in Tampa...his own HC is dumbfounded publicly stating they could do just as well with another QB...more honesty than anything I think.

Arians wants to throw the ball so whomever they get will likely put up good numbers, but I have a feeling ownership is going to try to get Winston on a team friendly deal and he will take it.
In that article I posted earlier, there was an interesting take on Arians too. Both Palmer and Rothlesburger had career high int's in their first year in his system and Bruce admits there is a learning curve. Having said that, Winston has been like this from the get go. I can't see him changing at this point much. It's really more in his head than anything.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In that article I posted earlier, there was an interesting take on Arians too. Both Palmer and Rothlesburger had career high int's in their first year in his system and Bruce admits there is a learning curve. Having said that, Winston has been like this from the get go. I can't see him changing at this point much. It's really more in his head than anything.

I know the Bruce Arians era in PIT pretty well...it's a downfield passing game for sure and that will lend itself to more INTs, but Ben had a developing OL back then and he held the ball a lot too. Ben actually played his best football under Haley imo in terms of production, less playground plays, and taking less hits.

Arians never got the running game established and that's why he got let go in PIT...fortunately for him.

Maybe it changes a little for Winston, and that would be huge...knock his INTs down to 15-20... but you are what you are at this point in the league. He probably always going to be a high risk, high reward type QB.

Mofo

Infamous Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,979.64
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the dilemma here...you don't need a ton of upside...he's giving you plenty of positives..you need him to curb the negative plays.
Yeah, but how?

I agree with you on him making bonehead decisions. That's really 90% of the issue, imo. He'll throw into double coverage and completely miss his window or I've seen times where he has a WR open or man to man and completely misses.
But I think the coaches, GM or whoever see that upside as well because when he gets it and is hot, the kid goes off. But he can't seem to carry that on to the next game and certainly not for a whole season. That's why he isn't worth it. In the modern game, turnovers are just too costly to play with fire like that. And I doubt this kid will ever get it.
Yeah. I can remember thinking Ray Lucas and Kordell Stewart were amazing to watch because of their ability. But they could never improve their game enough to have a sustained or successful career as a starter.

If I'm a GM, I think I'd prefer he be some other team's problem.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but how?

Yeah. I can remember thinking Ray Lucas and Kordell Stewart were amazing to watch because of their ability. But they could never improve their game enough to have a sustained or successful career as a starter.

If I'm a GM, I think I'd prefer he be some other team's problem.

I've met Kordell...nice guy, not a bad dual threat QB, but not the throwing talent of Winston. If I could answer that, I should be making double what I make now...:D

At the end of the day...I agree with your last sentence.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed that he's a headache most teams won't want. But I think they really worry that if they let him go and he somehow miraculously turns it around that it bites them in the ass because they are starting over. Having said that, I have seen nothing that makes me think this kid changes.