• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Its time to replace Scott

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is coaching to win at the cost of developing the young players. The problem is since he can't coach them to actually win. So no wins and longer term development of young players. It is time to get someone in who will develop the future stars into playing winning basketball. I was a fan of Scott's until this god awful start. i was hoping the Lakers would win 30-35 games. Now I am routing for a losing season for the 3rd year in a row.

The only problem is I have no clue who they should bring in. The Celtics did it correctly and brought in a young winning college coach who was developing is skills along with his team. Now the Celtics are playing much better and they have a better coach too. Granted they are not in the west, but he has that young team playing winning basketball.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Thibs is available but one sportswriter recently suggested MWP.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is coaching to win at the cost of developing the young players. The problem is since he can't coach them to actually win. So no wins and longer term development of young players. It is time to get someone in who will develop the future stars into playing winning basketball. I was a fan of Scott's until this god awful start. i was hoping the Lakers would win 30-35 games. Now I am routing for a losing season for the 3rd year in a row.

The only problem is I have no clue who they should bring in. The Celtics did it correctly and brought in a young winning college coach who was developing is skills along with his team. Now the Celtics are playing much better and they have a better coach too. Granted they are not in the west, but he has that young team playing winning basketball.

I've been a Byron supporter and I do understand the "why" of some of what he is doing. However, what he's doing, isn't really working. It's not his knowledge, or what he's teaching the players or what he preaches (he's actually doing that part right). It's the in game stuff. Specifically his substitution patterns, use of timeouts, etc.

Brandon Bass at the 5 with the 2nd unit isn't working and it seems like Russell can't get comfortable in his role because he doesn't know if he's going to be in the game when the game is on the line.

I don't mind him going for the win. End of the day, as coach, his job is to win basketball games. You can't ask him to go out there and lose. However, what he's doing isn't resulting in wins, so he needs to just commit to playing the young guys so they can figure it out.

As for a replacement, as Retro pointed out, Thibs is out there. If that's the direction the Lakers decide to go, they need to be smart about it and make sure they have reasonable assurances that they can actually get him. Otherwise they could end up with a Mike D'Antoni replacing Mike Brown when they could have had Phil type of scenario.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on again TJF12. The article I posted on another thread states that reality about Scott. He doesn't get the game-situation personnel substitutions very well. Playing Bass at center is being viewed as completely boneheaded by the article author I posted on the Phoenix game thread. And what he is doing with Russell has many scratching their heads. So this is what is getting observers questioning his coaching legitimacy.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on again TJF12. The article I posted on another thread states that reality about Scott. He doesn't get the game-situation personnel substitutions very well. Playing Bass at center is being viewed as completely boneheaded by the article author I posted on the Phoenix game thread. And what he is doing with Russell has many scratching their heads. So this is what is getting observers questioning his coaching legitimacy.

Yeah, I think Byron could be a very good coach. He teaches the players the right things and the right way to do things and prepare for the game. But that's only half the job. I think part of the problem is that he was only an assistant coach for 2 years before becoming a head coach. I think he could have used a couple of more years as an assistant to learn about in game adjustments, rotations, etc.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Thibs is available but one sportswriter recently suggested MWP.
I hate changing coaches, but if Scott is fired after the season, tom would be my first choice.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate changing coaches, but if Scott is fired after the season, tom would be my first choice.

I'm with you on changing coaches. If not for Thibs being available, I'd be saying we need to give Byron 2-3 more seasons. It's only his 2nd year and his first where several of the players are likely to still be on the team in 3-5 years time.

However, it's like when Del Harris got fired and the Lakers hired Phil. Del Harris really hadn't done anything to deserve to be fired, but when you can get Phil, you fire Del Harris.

Considering it's only his 2nd season and what he was handed last year, I don't think Byron has really done anything to be fired, but if you can get Thibs, I think you fire Byron if there isn't marked improvement by the end of the season.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The time to replace Scott was 2 seconds after he was hired. @trojanfan12 , God bless him, is like the only person that follows the NBA closely and thinks he's a good coach.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea that firing of McHale was a surprise. I am sure the Rockets are definitely looking at Thibs right about now.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rockets don't hire Thibs.

Everything I've read so far is they are high enough on Bickerstaff to give him a shot. He's been viewed by many as an up and coming coach but I'm not sure people thought he'd get a HC this soon

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should think about Walton as HC. It is clear the ownership wants to be more like Golden State. Why not get the coach that is leading them to an undefeated season and knows their system. Luke was always a smart player and may times it was said he would one day be a coach. Since we didn't get Fisher who I felt very similarly about get the next best thing in Walton.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should think about Walton as HC. It is clear the ownership wants to be more like Golden State. Why not get the coach that is leading them to an undefeated season and knows their system. Luke was always a smart player and may times it was said he would one day be a coach. Since we didn't get Fisher who I felt very similarly about get the next best thing in Walton.
Not a good idea. Walton is not ready. GS is on auto-pilot.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting idea. There's no question that the guy is smart as a whip. I agree with tomodach that he's not quite ready. The question is, do you take a shot on him early or wait and risk not being able to get him later?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting idea. There's no question that the guy is smart as a whip. I agree with tomodach that he's not quite ready. The question is, do you take a shot on him early or wait and risk not being able to get him later?
Good question. After this season, I think Lakers will be looking for a new coach.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see. Will it be MWP or Walton?

:lol: It won't be MWP.

Luke would be interesting. As I posted earlier, I tend to agree with tomodach that he isn't quite ready. On the other hand, most seem to think that he will be a very good head coach in the future.

Do you fire Byron at the end of the season, hire Luke and hope he can learn and grow with the team?

Do you keep Byron for another season or 2 and if he doesn't get it figured out, hope you can get Luke when he and the young guys are both a little more experienced?

Do you fire Byron at the end of the season and go after one of the "name" coaches and hope that, along with the talented young guys, it's enough to attract a top level FA or 2?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: It won't be MWP.

Luke would be interesting. As I posted earlier, I tend to agree with tomodach that he isn't quite ready. On the other hand, most seem to think that he will be a very good head coach in the future.

Do you fire Byron at the end of the season, hire Luke and hope he can learn and grow with the team?

Do you keep Byron for another season or 2 and if he doesn't get it figured out, hope you can get Luke when he and the young guys are both a little more experienced?

Do you fire Byron at the end of the season and go after one of the "name" coaches and hope that, along with the talented young guys, it's enough to attract a top level FA or 2?

The answer is Fire Byron.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They won't fire Scott before the end of the season imo. Not that I think he should be fired at all.

The one I wish we could fire (or stick on season ending IR) is Kobe.