• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's time for a new commissioner who will...

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Complaining about Goodell is for the weak and simple-minded. It's cliche'.

Find someone who will do a better job and the owners will hire him tomorrow.
You don't rock the boat when the boat is full of bucks......

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you recall, I always said the appeal was simply a stepping stone to the Fed level. Now the fact it's in this court I didn't see coming, and was a clever move by the NFL, though I suspect it's because they know their case is weak in just about any district in the county.

My gut feeling is the judge is leaning on the NFLPA side, but it's hard to say at this point.
Yeah LOL at you thinking this case would ever go to the national labor board, big fail right there.

My gut feeling is the judge hasn't heard the case and once he reads the CBA he'll decide. Looked at the CBA a few times, and damn if I see anything that says Goodell can't be the Arbitrator. How about you NE? You locate any thing that gives you hope, a straw, any thing?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah LOL at you thinking this case would ever go to the national labor board, big fail right there.

My gut feeling is the judge hasn't heard the case and once he reads the CBA he'll decide. Looked at the CBA a few times, and damn if I see anything that says Goodell can't be the Arbitrator. How about you NE? You locate any thing that gives you hope, a straw, any thing?

It's a small fail at best, and I always said it would go to the Fed, and that I believed the NLRB was the best choice.

The judge has read the case, and indicated that he has. His order of no more than 15 pages double spaced is proof of it.

Who has said the CBA doesn't say that he can be the arb? Not me, not the NFLPA.

It' not about hope, it's about the case.

(edited)

The mistake I think I made Harold, is that the NFLPA would handle this in the interst of Brady, much like a typical union dispute case. If that were so they would take it to the NLRB, as that is the best venue for a single persons case. What I missed identified, and now looking back on it should have been a bit more obvious, is this is more about the overall power struggle between the players and the league. That is taking the Commish power of over seeing everything away from him, post the new CBA.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a small fail at best, and I always said it would go to the Fed, and that I believed the NLRB was the best choice.

The judge has read the case, and indicated that he has. His order of no more than 15 pages double spaced is proof of it.

Who has said the CBA doesn't say that he can be the arb? Not me, not the NFLPA.

It' not about hope, it's about the case.

You lost me on this post. Isn't the whole case by the NFLPA based on the fact that the CBA doesn't allow Goodell to be the arbitrator? There fore there must be something in the CBA somewhere that states that or they lose....right?

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You lost me on this post. Isn't the whole case by the NFLPA based on the fact that the CBA doesn't allow Goodell to be the arbitrator? There fore there must be something in the CBA somewhere that states that or they lose....right?

Yes, but not in the manner I think you understand it. He has the right to be the arb under the CBA in their opinion; however he still has to be independent which he was not. This can be argued directly under the wording of the CBA, or/and it can be argued based on "shop law".

One thing to remember, and this hasn't been argued by the NFLPA that I'm aware of, is that the CBA isn't final in that if it violates Fed labor law it's null, at least in that portion.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In golf you're expected to play by the rules. In games where there's officiating, you're expected to try to get away with breaking them ie, holding, fouling and deflateing footballs.

FIFY

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say that.
Is it any coincidence that every Patriots fan hates Goodell?

No, it's predictable as hell. That's what they are. Dull, dimwitted, self-absorbed, delusional and simple-minded.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree but between the 4 NO linemen who had their suspensions overturned in Bountygate and Adrian Peterson's ban, he should have started to get the hint that he sucks at it. Brady's over the top suspension is simply a means for Goodell to show he's now a born again tough guy. He's just trying to protect his $40M salary, I get that.

Right and holding the Super Bowl MVP accountable and opening himself and the league up to lawsuits in federal court protects his salary.

A QB whose been mired deeply in rampant cheating for a decade and a half gets a 4-game suspension and its "over the top." It's astonishing that anyone could believe that.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right and holding the Super Bowl MVP accountable and opening himself and the league up to lawsuits in federal court protects his salary.

A QB whose been mired deeply in rampant cheating for a decade and a half gets a 4-game suspension and its "over the top." It's astonishing that anyone could believe that.
I have no vested interest in this as an Eagles fan so I can take a step back and look at it from a position of neutrality. You can't tamper with game equipment by rule. But what is the punishment? Typically it has been a fine, but not in this case. Why? Because of past transgressions? Weren't they dealt with separately?

Goodell has a history of botched punishments so he loses nothing and makes himself popular with the other owners by coming down hard. He has no control over being challenged and possibly losing in court. That being said, if his decisions continue to get challenged in court then his position may become more tenuous. For now, I don't think he loses anything. If he came out soft because of his (former) friendship with Kraft I think that would have been a swift ticket out the door.

It's all politics, not nobility. IMHO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
..."protect the NFL brand"

With every passing season, Roger Godell's command feels more and more like he's the head of the NCAA, instead of the NFL. Maybe take a few lessons from Tim Finchem's leadership of the PGA Tour and actually guard your players; FYI Roger just like the on the PGA Tour , players are the brand.

You think if Josh Gordon was an up and coming superstar on the PGA he would be suspended for smoking weed? How about if Tom Brady who was already a PGA megastar was found to be using under compressed golf balls? Uh, no they wouldn't be.

"Perception is reality" Roger. And the perception you are giving players of the NFL is a direct result of your incompetence to "protect the brand".

Roger Goodell is the worst commission in sports, except for all those other commissioners.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he came out soft because of his (former) friendship with Kraft I think that would have been a swift ticket out the door.

But that's exactly what he did.

How would you compare this discipline compared to Bountygate? Do you think it's possible that Goodell knows about other misconduct by Kraft and the Patriots that would rock the sports world if it came to light?

I still believe the distinct possibility that this is somehow a massive conspiracy between Kraft and Goodell to generate revenue. Stranger things have happened.

The notion that somehow Goodell and the league office is out to vilify Tom Brady, the Super Bowl MVP is just one of the many astonishingly absurd notions that Pats fans won't stop screaming from behind their bullhorns. It's absolutely fascinating to watch this and to know that someone like you who's objective about this can have those opinions. I just don't see it!

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's exactly what he did.

How would you compare this discipline compared to Bountygate? Do you think it's possible that Goodell knows about other misconduct by Kraft and the Patriots that would rock the sports world if it came to light?

I still believe the distinct possibility that this is somehow a massive conspiracy between Kraft and Goodell to generate revenue. Stranger things have happened.

The notion that somehow Goodell and the league office is out to vilify Tom Brady, the Super Bowl MVP is just one of the many astonishingly absurd notions that Pats fans won't stop screaming from behind their bullhorns. It's absolutely fascinating to watch this and to know that someone like you who's objective about this can have those opinions. I just don't see it!

Regarding Bountygate. Paul Tagliabue (appointed by Goodell) rejected Goodell's "overreaching" player punishments knowing full well the players participated in a pool that rewarded players for violent hits. In fact, players who "engaged in conduct detrimental to the integrity of, and public confidence in, the game of professional football." He placed more blame on the culture within the Saints organization.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that it's a Tom Brady issue or that anybody's out to vilify him specifically. It's more of an issue of applying the correct punishment relative to the crime and it's Brady's turn in the spotlight. Goodell seems to miss with both barrels in this regard.

You and I have no idea what is going on behind closed doors and I'm sure it's probably not what we expect. At least this whole mess will be fast tracked through the courts. A place where it never belonged in the first place.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should stick to your racist BS in the PF and stop pretending to know what the PGA is doing. If Tiger Woods was 100% white instead of 30% white you would have never brought him up (or defended him) in the first place.

Run along fella, this is out of your league.

I'm not defending Woods, jackass. I'm debating whether the PGA defends their players any more than the NFL does.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revenues for the NFL have exploded under Goodell. That is what he is paid to do.

Comparing the NFL to the PGA is dubious. The players are the brand in the PGA. The teams are the brand in the NFL, moreso than any other major league.

and this right here is why Goodell is not going anywhere! If this was not the case and he still handled every situation terribly he would be long gone... But as long as the owners pockets are getting lined with cash they really don't care what he does.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pass. I like the current commish.

If players & organizations stopped fucking up, there would be no reason for the commish to wield his power. Unfortunately, too many arrogant athletes & coaches think they are above the law.