• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Philthy so no shocker

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love those out of the way mom and pop type places.

In North Carolina, we visited some hole in the wall barbeque pit and it was fantastic.
Now, my standards for barbecue might be pretty low, but there was so much flavor.
Or maybe my Philly culinary taste buds have simply gone too long without any quality food....

I'm like that myself, I prefer the little places and tend to stay away from tourist areas. As far as sandwich joints, if I see a bunch of cop cars, fire trucks or garbage trucks around a place I'm checking it out. Those guys tend to know where the good sammichs are

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to believe this thread could make the Politics Forum seem civilized and rational.
Okay, okay, maybe that's going a bit too far.
I'll show myself out....

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to believe this thread could make the Politics Forum seem civilized and rational.
Okay, okay, maybe that's going a bit too far.
I'll show myself out....

Food is a universal language

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not as much. No one throws a parade or riots over a real good chicken Marsala

They riot if there's no food.....

What if I told you there was an activity where owners spent millions of dollars building a franchise, acquiring top talent, and trying to achieve the ultimate goal. Could just as easily be talking about chefs and 5 star ratings as QBs and Super Bowls.

Maybe it's the ability to compete that is a universal language.

Professional sports varies from country to country.
relegation/no relegation; draft/sign any time; etc.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna laugh when it's some fine dining restaurant that has nothing to do with the actual culinary scene of the city.

He named them. One, Le Bec-Fin, was a really, really good French restaurant. 5 Michelin Stars. That's no joke. Still, I question it being rated as the best restaurant in the US, particularly "for years."

The fact is, if you polled the nation and asked everyone where would they want to go for a foodie weekend, I'd be shocked if there were many people not from Philly that would vote for Philly. It might have had a great restaurant or two in the past, but only a retard would think it's the best "food scene" in the country.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's another misconception that if you want to have a Philly cheesesteak, you need to go to either Geno's or Pat's. Just my opinion, but that's like eating Steak-Umms. It's nostalgic and all, but you can find better.
I never mentioned either one of those tourist traps. I'm all about the mom and pop shops.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
can I interest anyone in a fist fight?

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was hoping the Saints were in the Supe just to see that town this week
I don't think it will matter? Always seems to be a good time in LA. Mostly good people (-) the typical inner city trash we all have to deal with.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They riot if there's no food.....

What if I told you there was an activity where owners spent millions of dollars building a franchise, acquiring top talent, and trying to achieve the ultimate goal. Could just as easily be talking about chefs and 5 star ratings as QBs and Super Bowls.

Maybe it's the ability to compete that is a universal language.

Professional sports varies from country to country.
relegation/no relegation; draft/sign any time; etc.
Except the majority of NFL team cost billions

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole food thing is so subjective. I lived a good part of my life in the Philadelphia area and never even considered going to some of those fine dining establishments. In fact I'm pretty sure I would rather eat a cheesesteak in my car than go to Le Bec Fin, but that's just me.
I do however prefer the food in Philly to other places I've lived/been but that could be just because I love cheesesteaks (actually pizza steaks, which for those of you that don't know is just a cheesesteak with marinara sauce on it) and italian hoagies. But I don't worry about getting "the best" of everything all the time. The thing I like about the Philly area is you can go almost anywhere and get a better cheesesteak or italian hoagie than you could get in say, Raleigh NC. But if you wanted a barbecue sandwich your odds of getting a good one are way higher in NC. I think it's economics at work--a bad cheesesteak place in Philly wouldn't last that long just like a bad barbecue place wouldn't stay in business long in NC.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact I'm pretty sure I would rather eat a cheesesteak in my car than go to Le Bec Fin, but that's just me.

LMAO

Funny stuff

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole food thing is so subjective. I lived a good part of my life in the Philadelphia area and never even considered going to some of those fine dining establishments. In fact I'm pretty sure I would rather eat a cheesesteak in my car than go to Le Bec Fin, but that's just me.
I do however prefer the food in Philly to other places I've lived/been but that could be just because I love cheesesteaks (actually pizza steaks, which for those of you that don't know is just a cheesesteak with marinara sauce on it) and italian hoagies. But I don't worry about getting "the best" of everything all the time. The thing I like about the Philly area is you can go almost anywhere and get a better cheesesteak or italian hoagie than you could get in say, Raleigh NC. But if you wanted a barbecue sandwich your odds of getting a good one are way higher in NC. I think it's economics at work--a bad cheesesteak place in Philly wouldn't last that long just like a bad barbecue place wouldn't stay in business long in NC.
You're not alone. It's part of growing up in that area. Anywhere in the NE on average have much better subs and pizza. For the most part the same can be said for a lot of the seafood. Not all seafood because you can find different species, cooked differently in many different parts of the country. A good example is fried clams. Most places in NE serve them with the belly. That's the way I prefer them. Many places in the rest of the country serve clam strips (no belly) my wife prefers this style. She was born in the PNW. Pacific salmon vs. Atlantic not even close, Pacific is much better.

Another strange one is Chinese food. Again for me the NE on average has the best. Even my wife agrees on this one.

Just different styles. Damn now I need to make a trip back east before I relocate to Thailand.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fact I'm pretty sure I would rather eat a cheesesteak in my car than go to Le Bec Fin, but that's just me.

LMAO

Funny stuff
well, you know they'd prolly want me to wear a shirt or something

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, you know they'd prolly want me to wear a shirt or something

LOL

We have a place in the Time Warner building in NYC called "Per Se" which is ranked like the best restaraunt in the world...I was there once, so I agree, id much rather grab the best burger or best slice of pizza in town than go there again

I enjoy some fine dining, but its the waaaaay over the top dining I dont love