• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's LOTTO DAY!!!

Who gets the first pick in the draft?

• Celtics

Votes: 16 45.7%
  • Suns

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Lakers

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • Sixers

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Magic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. That's correct. If this were the team we had 3 years ago...keeping the pick would be far more important because that team had nothing but a bunch of castoffs. This team has building blocks/tradeable assets.

2. Of course not, but the Celtics are in a different situation than the Lakers. Their rebuild is nearly complete as they are only a player or 2 away from being able to directly challenge the Cavs.

3. To you maybe. Lakers fans understand that the lottery doesn't guarantee anything and we know that our FO has plans in place for whatever outcome.

And again, Lakers fans would love for them to keep the pick, but know it's not the end of the world if they don't.
I mean- you can have as many plans in place as you want- if you dont have the assets to execute that plan- its irrelevant.

Its a lot easier to execute a plan with assets- such as multiple first round picks---- then without them- esp. when the previous regime has f'd up the cap situation with the Deng and Mozgov signings and tied the current regimes hands in that regard.

plans are great- but if you dont have the assets to execute the plan- the plan is worthless. 2 huge assets are on the line tonight that would hugely help in the execution of the plan.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if you dont keep the pick it sets you back at least another year.

I disagree. I will say that it makes the next 2 FA periods more important though.

I think you are vastly underestimating what a high lotto pick in a loaded draft will do for the team. If its Fultz or Ball- they instantly become the most talented young player the franchise has had since Kobe- they instantly become the guy on the front of the program- the guy printed on the season tickets- the guy the team builds around as their future franchise player.

I think you are overestimating a high lotto pick. That pick could also become the biggest bust since Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett.

And- while i know people on this site dont agree with me- i think the most important thing in the NBA is getting that franchise talent. Right now- if i were to guess- the Lakers dont have that guy.

You do understand that there are ways other than the draft to get "that guy," right?

Fultz or Ball would be the best chance at having that guy. Especially if the Lakers improve this year- they might not have a chance to draft at the top of the lotto for a long time coming- if they end up somewhere like 8th or 9th next year in the lotto.

I'm not sold on Ball. I like Fultz better, but I question why his team was so bad, if he's so good. Plus, if memory serves, he missed a game in the PAC-12 tournament (or maybe an important late season game) when he actually could have played.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
plans are great- but if you dont have the assets to execute the plan- the plan is worthless.

As I pointed out already...the Lakers have assets. Something they didn't have in previous seasons.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I pointed out already...the Lakers have assets. Something they didn't have in previous seasons.
i guess i differ from you in my opinion that they dont have nearly enough to go from one of the worst teams in the league to relevancy--- and that i think 2 first rounders- in particular a top 3 pick that could be Ball or Fultz- who either would instantly become their best asset by a substantial margin and be the single biggest step towards relevancy they have made in the last 4+ years.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i guess i differ from you in my opinion that they dont have nearly enough to go from one of the worst teams in the league to relevancy--- and that i think 2 first rounders- in particular a top 3 pick that could be Ball or Fultz- who either would instantly become their best asset by a substantial margin and be the single biggest step towards relevancy they have made in the last 4+ years.

Who the hell is expecting them to go from the lottery to relevancy that fast? They knew when the Dwight/Nash deal blew up that they were in for a long rebuild. They even had the foresight to let the fans know (the one thing Short Buss did right) which is why people have still shown up to games, etc. even while they suck.

And again, with the promising young talent they already have and what finally appears to be a competent FO, they can go into FA meetings with more than Hollywood dignitaries and California weather as their selling point. Heck, a trade or waiting until next FA to sign PG-13 would be a big step back towards relevancy (assuming the PG-13 rumors are true).

Even if the PG-13 rumors aren't true, they will still be dealing with FA's from a stronger position than they have the previous 3 or so years.

Also, you keep saying Ball or Fultz instantly become their best asset and that is just not necessarily true. We have no idea how either player will work out at the NBA level.

There were many games last year where it was obvious that the Lakers were lacking that one guy who could take over and lead them to wins. They may already have that guy (D'Angelo seems to want to be that guy and Ingram seems to have some of that in him too), but they're still too young to know for sure. A rookie isn't going to be that guy. At least not right away. There appears to be some good talent, but there are no "generational players" in this draft.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sixers fans I'm torn. I would love to see the Sixers getting the Lakers pick but if they don't they get next year's unprotected pick. I think I would prefer that the Sixers get lucky with the No. 1 pick and the Lakers pick is deferred to next year.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Sixers fans I'm torn. I would love to see the Sixers getting the Lakers pick but if they don't they get next year's unprotected pick. I think I would prefer that the Sixers get lucky with the No. 1 pick and the Lakers pick is deferred to next year.

I think you want this year's pick. You could draft your backcourt for the next 10 years.

Ickey Shuffle

Do you have a minute to talk about Joe Burrow?
Supporting Member Level 1
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns. They're already one of the most fun teams to watch. Not gonna happen, but it'll be icing on the cake.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should be fun to watch, I have the Lakers winning it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you want this year's pick. You could draft your backcourt for the next 10 years.

I wouldn't be upset. But too high lottery rookies would likely limit each other's playing time.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be happy with 14 and TJ Leaf. Fills an important need of a stretch 4

You think the Heat can afford to draft for need versus BPA? Or do you think Leaf would be the BPA at that spot.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the Heat can afford to draft for need versus BPA? Or do you think Leaf would be the BPA at that spot.

Depends on who available. If someone slips as Winslow did a few years ago then I think they go BPA according to their draft board but if there is no player who significantly drops then I think they go with a need

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is me right now:

jessie-spano-im-so-excited-im-so-excited-im-soscared.jpg

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on who available. If someone slips as Winslow did a few years ago then I think they go BPA according to their draft board but if there is no player who significantly drops then I think they go with a need

I actually like Bam Adebayo as a better prospect than Leaf. I think Leaf could probably fit a role faster, but I love the upside of Adebayo. He's more of a project, but I love his athleticism and his touch around the rim.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as tf12 said, ain't the end of the world if we don't, but wtf, let's see it happen for the sake of the conspiracy theories it'll start...:heh:

If the Lakers lose their pick this year, it hurts pretty badly. Their team of "young stars" is still in search of a star, and they'd lose their pick in 2017 and 2019. It also gives them less to offer in a potential trade for Paul George. At that point, I'd love to see them trade Ingram and some of the other young guys or picks for George. It would virtually guarantee that they'd be out of title contention for at least a decade.

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully using this Kings avatar again will bring them good luck. Best case scenario is they jump into the top 3 with Philly knocking the Lakers and Celtics or Suns out, worst case the Pelicans, Mavs, and one of the other teams behind them all move into the top 3 making them lose both picks. I'll be happy if they keep both, even if they're still at 8 and 10.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lakers lose their pick this year, it hurts pretty badly. Their team of "young stars" is still in search of a star, and they'd lose their pick in 2017 and 2019. It also gives them less to offer in a potential trade for Paul George. At that point, I'd love to see them trade Ingram and some of the other young guys or picks for George. It would virtually guarantee that they'd be out of title contention for at least a decade.

I realize, but keeping it in perspective they're still ROOKIES. who knows if they'll truly pan out or not. and as already has been pointed out in this thread there's other ways to rebuild...

not gonna want to jump off a building or anything over it...

as far as PG goes, it's been discussed a lot out here. the onus is on Indy to get something for the guy, which is why I wouldn't be all that crazy about trying to pull the trigger for a deal right now...

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh for sure- it would be devastating if they lose the picks (plural) tonight.

they dont nearly have enough high end talent yet to compete- and if they want to make a trade for a guy like george or butler- without that top 3 pick and the 2019 first rounder they would have to trade a substantial part of their roster.

if they dont keep their pick i dont know how they trade for Georg-e they would have to gut the team to do so.

combine that with so little cap space because of the Mozgov and Deng fiasco's---- and the fact that Russell and Randle will be up for extensions in the near future taking up further cap space---- and EASILY the most likely path towards acquiring a big time talent is this years first rounder--- IF they keep it.

If they dont- whats the alternative here to adding a big time talent? I dont see it.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hopefully using this Kings avatar again will bring them good luck. Best case scenario is they jump into the top 3 with Philly knocking the Lakers and Celtics or Suns out, worst case the Pelicans, Mavs, and one of the other teams behind them all move into the top 3 making them lose both picks. I'll be happy if they keep both, even if they're still at 8 and 10.

The Kings have made some really bad trades over the last few years but I'm not sure they're in as bad of a position as everyone thinks.