• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's Canes Week

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I got to say is the only sampling I'm looking at is the two games we've seen here at Nebraska coached by Riley and that is because comparing OSU to Nebraska is apples and oranges. Haters will find plenty to hate about but the only thing that matters is will he win here and time will only answer that. The rest just sounds like sour grapes because Eichorst didn't hire a big name.

So far, and I know it is only two OOC games but I have seen a quarterback known to go into meltdowns panic and come out of it. I have seen a quarterback who was lucky to hit 50% passing hit 70%. I have seen exponential growth from week 1 to week 2 in our lines and I have seen a team that would have quit fight back from 10 points down.

Yeah we need a new staff, these guys suck.

edit: as for the secondary, I agree Davie was in position, just not trying to break up the pass. Riley acknowledged it, said they could fix it and I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, coaches do not stick to what they have done in the past? Banker has explained his philosophy. I do not think it seems to be working at all. I highly doubt Banker will change his defensive scheme.

Langsdorf is an excellent QB coach. No doubt about it. Not once have I ever questioned him.

Banker on the other hand, I have specifically said he should not be allowed within 500 miles of Lincoln. I do not think his scheme works. I used the last seven years of data from Oregon State as my data.

So, Nebraska has the athletes as you say. I agree, they do. The last seven years the Nebraska pass defense was pretty good. All of a sudden, what was a strength at Nebraska is now a weakness? The previous staff had a good pass defense, but that might also be because the rush defense was especially horrid against a good back.

As far as I know, all of these defensive backs on Nebraska were recruited by the previous staff. Since we all seem to agree the previous staff was good on pass defense, they could probably recognize talent. Too bad Leroy Alexander was booted, but if you are a bad apple, I can understand the dismissal.

LeRoy Alexander Nabs Pair of MVFC Honors For Performance Against Pitt - Youngstown State

Ask yourself, if the previous staff had a good pass defense, do you think they knew how to coach pass defense and make the players better? I think the answer is yes.

Do you think each defensive back that came here saw that during their recruitment? You betcha. Why do you think Jonathon Rose chose Nebraska? Avery Anderson? Eric Lee?

Do you think Nebraska is applying pressure to the opponent's QB? I do not think they are.

This could be because the previous staff did not have any capable defensive ends(Gangwish is full of energy, but he is really not NFL material and a good tackle will nullify him). McMullen is servicable. Keels has not panned out. I had high hopes for AJ Natter, I was wrong on him. This is probably why Freedom was moved to defensive end.

This could be because the previous staff was terrible with linebackers. Two words, Ross Els.

Maybe the current staff was handed something not so good from the previous staff.

I hope Banker proves me wrong.

From what I read in summer camp, I was expecting to see a lot of QB pressure. Instead, Nebraska is rushing four guys almost every play. The QB has all day to pass. Eventually, a receiver or back will get open in that situation.

With the previous staff, a good running back would destroy them. With this staff, it seems a passing team is going to destroy them.

We shall see on Saturday. The offenses

Miami is 57th in rushing
Nebraska is 65th in rushing

Miami is 58th in passing
Nebraska is 27th in passing

BYU is 15th in passing (379 yards against Nebraska)
Southern Alabama is 55th in passing (even after 313 yards against Nebraska)

Is the Nebraska rush defense that good or is the pass defense that bad, so teams decide to pass on Nebraska.
BYU is 113th is rushing
South Alabama is 105th

By Banker's reasoning, Miami Pass Offense should move up and the Miami rush offense should move down.

I expect the Miami rush offense to drop into the 70s in ranking and the pass offense to move up into the thirties in ranking.

Total Defense
Miami is 50th
Nebraska is 24th

Miami gives up one sack per game
Nebraska gives up 1.5 sacks per game (3 sacks by BYU, 0 sacks South Alabama)

After looking at these numbers, the Miami guy is right. Miami is not very good.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should we design our defensive scheme around four noncon games, or eight conference games? Would you rather be good against the run or the pass going up against Mitch Leidner, Ronnie Bass, and Joel "Yippie-ki-yay, Motherfucker" Stave in division?

FNG

Chiefs Baby Chiefs!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great info and numbers guys.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't get it. What about them is so great?

Miami is not great, it is just that people think that Nebraska is less of a team than the not so great Miami team. Which is not a compliment.

Nebraska needs to prove otherwise.

Offensively, Nebraska has a team. Nebraska finds out if the O Line is really improved or else the south alamaba players are not quite like the four and five star players that Miami has on defense.

Defensively, Nebraska is a huge question mark.

Prior to the season, I thought Nebraska had a shot at Michigan State since it is in Lincoln. After what I have seen, I think Michigan State wins in a major blowout. 30 plus blowout. Luckily, Wisconsin and Minnesota are struggling, but Iowa and Northwestern are looking strong. The west division is up for grabs, but the Nebraska defense really needs to step up its game.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Miami is not great, it is just that people think that Nebraska is less of a team than the not so great Miami team. Which is not a compliment.

Nebraska needs to prove otherwise.

Offensively, Nebraska has a team. Nebraska finds out if the O Line is really improved or else the south alamaba players are not quite like the four and five star players that Miami has on defense.

Defensively, Nebraska is a huge question mark.

Prior to the season, I thought Nebraska had a shot at Michigan State since it is in Lincoln. After what I have seen, I think Michigan State wins in a major blowout. 30 plus blowout. Luckily, Wisconsin and Minnesota are struggling, but Iowa and Northwestern are looking strong. The west division is up for grabs, but the Nebraska defense really needs to step up its game.
I'm becoming less and less interested in your estimation of what is possible and impossible.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HIB10 you clearly didn't understand my post. What I said was we are in week 2 and in the 2 games Riley has coached I pointed out marked improvements I have observed.
I never said I have bought into Banker. I have my reservations but cheezits kites man it's week 2. And I don't see the problem with our d-line. We're not getting the sacks I would love to see but thank God they aren't playing patty cake any more. I'll give you our ends have sucked, yes but is that so much on Banker or is it what he has to work with?

As for his "scheme" yeah the corners are on their own out there but you only have so many guys to work with on the team. His scheme focuses on the run. As someone else has said already, which would you rather have in the B1G.
And still, it's not necessarily a gimme for the pass either. Davie was in position, let me say that again, DAVIE WAS IN POSITION ALL NIGHT LONG. I can say it slower if need be. He was there. The scheme was not the problem. What he was not doing was breaking up passes. Admittedly he was also fouling all over the place, both of which are admittedly coaching issues. I'll give you that. But it was week 2, WEEK 2!

So if we are in week 5 and have seen this week in week out throughout our OOC then we have a problem.
But if we are in week 2 of a defensive scheme that puts the ownership on Davie to break up passes and he is used to having help, maybe, just maybe it's not Riley, maybe it's not even Banker, his scheme or Stewart who have all taken ownership.

Now not one of them have said the players just need to execute, but maybe in this instance that is exactly what is needed and maybe, just maybe we will see this get a little better in week 3 and and a little better week4 and...

If and it is a "week 2 if" we have a coaching staaff who umm, coaches?... that might be just what we see.

i don't know maybe it won't but what I do know is that I don't understand this need to trash them before they even get a chance, ESPECIALLY ON THE GENERAL BOARDS. Really I don't understand that at all.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
HIB10 you clearly didn't understand my post. What I said was we are in week 2 and in the 2 games Riley has coached I pointed out marked improvements I have observed.
I never said I have bought into Banker. I have my reservations but cheezits kites man it's week 2. And I don't see the problem with our d-line. We're not getting the sacks I would love to see but thank God they aren't playing patty cake any more. I'll give you our ends have sucked, yes but is that so much on Banker or is it what he has to work with?

As for his "scheme" yeah the corners are on their own out there but you only have so many guys to work with on the team. His scheme focuses on the run. As someone else has said already, which would you rather have in the B1G.
And still, it's not necessarily a gimme for the pass either. Davie was in position, let me say that again, DAVIE WAS IN POSITION ALL NIGHT LONG. I can say it slower if need be. He was there. The scheme was not the problem. What he was not doing was breaking up passes. Admittedly he was also fouling all over the place, both of which are admittedly coaching issues. I'll give you that. But it was week 2, WEEK 2!

So if we are in week 5 and have seen this week in week out throughout our OOC then we have a problem.
But if we are in week 2 of a defensive scheme that puts the ownership on Davie to break up passes and he is used to having help, maybe, just maybe it's not Riley, maybe it's not even Banker, his scheme or Stewart who have all taken ownership.

Now not one of them have said the players just need to execute, but maybe in this instance that is exactly what is needed and maybe, just maybe we will see this get a little better in week 3 and and a little better week4 and...

If and it is a "week 2 if" we have a coaching staaff who umm, coaches?... that might be just what we see.

i don't know maybe it won't but what I do know is that I don't understand this need to trash them before they even get a chance, ESPECIALLY ON THE GENERAL BOARDS. Really I don't understand that at all.
57a.jpg

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree

but

:popcorn:

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This place is pretty dead for being a day and a half away from playing thee Miami Hurricanes.