• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It's begun: Mack Brown to retire

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
There is a difference. USC and Miami both were hammered by the NCAA that makes them irrelevant to this discussion. Lets not forget Michigan won a title shortly after a legend left. There are many inputs to a coaches success. The biggest being the state of the program upon a coach leaving. There is always a risk with change, but the odds of Texas getting a solid replacement are higher than most given the resources. If you feel differently the issue should be with the AD, because clearly you have 0 faith in him and are wasting money on his salary. Looking at Texas you have had 5 coaches in the last 50 yrs. 3 of them have been very good. 2 not so much. The resources are much better today than when most of those decisions were made.

Every situation is unique, the point is that it is very difficult to find a good head coach and it is going to be even more difficult to find a coach that will surpass what Mack Brown has done for the program there.

I agree that it was time for him to go, just saying it isn't gonna be an easy replacement.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every situation is unique, the point is that it is very difficult to find a good head coach and it is going to be even more difficult to find a coach that will surpass what Mack Brown has done for the program there.

I agree that it was time for him to go, just saying it isn't gonna be an easy replacement.
-
I do love the irony of fans and big universities. We need a big time coach, because our advantages are so tenuous that only the best can succeed. We can not hire an up and comer, because this is TExas. We are way too good for someone like that. As for better than Mack. Which Mack do you speak of? 50 yr old Mack that was winning games and had top 10 finishes? 60 yr old Mack? Who led Texas to their first ever run of 4 consecutive 4 loss seasons and is 1 game over .500 in the Big 12 the last 4 seasons. They are different people. Texas is not replacing Babe Ruth in his prime.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Rich Rodriguez is coming to Texas?

He would fit the Playing style of the conference for sure. I personally dont like RichRod, but thats just me. He might be a style fit for sure.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would fit the Playing style of the conference for sure. I personally dont like RichRod, but thats just me. He might be a style fit for sure.

Yeah, he was way out of his element in the BiG.

Is a good fit in the PAC 12.

Tharvot

Crusader for Truthiness
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I do love the irony of fans and big universities. We need a big time coach, because our advantages are so tenuous that only the best can succeed. We can not hire an up and comer, because this is TExas. We are way too good for someone like that. As for better than Mack. Which Mack do you speak of? 50 yr old Mack that was winning games and had top 10 finishes? 60 yr old Mack? Who led Texas to their first ever run of 4 consecutive 4 loss seasons and is 1 game over .500 in the Big 12 the last 4 seasons. They are different people. Texas is not replacing Babe Ruth in his prime.

Mack Brown was an up and comer. The really big names are already at big places and aren't leaving for any reason I can reasonably see. David Shaw is probably the biggest name I can think of that I could reasonably see leaving his post and going to UT.

I think Franklin from Vandy might be the prime candidate for the job.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mack Brown was an up and comer. The really big names are already at big places and aren't leaving for any reason I can reasonably see. David Shaw is probably the biggest name I can think of that I could reasonably see leaving his post and going to UT.

He would be a good, young coach to look at. Plenty of fire, drive and can recruit pretty damn well considering what he has been able to do at Vandy with the restrictions they have. He is younger than Mack was when they brought him in and look at what Mack has been able to do establishing himself in the state of Texas. Sometimes we need to take a step back to move forward, this seems like the right time to make that move to me. and who's to say he wouldnt come in and make them a contender immediately with the recruiting ground he has and the school that he would be coaching for. I like this guy as a prospect and not due to them seeking Saban, but because of his age and his commitment to his craft and his fire to succeed.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

-
Not the pt. Places like OSU, Texas, amd Bama are some of the easiest places to win at in CFB. There are at least 20 coaches that could do better at Texas than what we have seen the past 4 years. The number is probably higher. Everyone wants the big name. The key is to find someone that fits the culture and has a process. Selecting the hot name can lead you down the wrong road. RichRod being the prime warning.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Rich Rodriguez is coming to Texas?

I was actually thinking Alabama as they offered him once before. lol

Mack Brown has been a great coach and still recruits well. Is it time for him to move on maybe. But wanting him gone is not going to guarantee Texas a quick return to prominence. Change for change sake could net Texas their version of Rich Rod.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually thinking Alabama as they offered him once before. lol

Mack Brown has been a great coach and still recruits well. Is it time for him to move on maybe. But wanting him gone is not going to guarantee Texas a quick return to prominence. Change for change sake could net Texas their version of Rich Rod.
-
I am starting to wonder if there is a larger issue than coaching Michigan

ragman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take this for what it's worth.

Stefan Stevenson, a beat writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram, is tweeting that Nick Saban will be the next UT HC.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
I am starting to wonder if there is a larger issue than coaching Michigan

For Rich Rod or Michigan?

Both though have the same factor….UofM's alum and sponsors. Rich Rod was never embraced and split the programs backers.

Same could happen at UT. A school with a large alumni group, rich tradition, and cash to spend. Saban has the Carpet Bagger label on him so it might be a good hire but I am sure some will want a guy with ties to UT and some will spite him because they never wanted Mack Brown to go.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take this for what it's worth.

Stefan Stevenson, a beat writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram, is tweeting that Nick Saban will be the next UT HC.

Several stories out there like that, some have been back tracked by the original writers already too. Not worth much at this point.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Both though have the same factor….UofM's alum and sponsors. Rich Rod was never embraced and split the programs backers.

Same could happen at UT. A school with a large alumni group, rich tradition, and cash to spend. Saban has the Carpet Bagger label on him so it might be a good hire but I am sure some will want a guy with ties to UT and some will spite him because they never wanted Mack Brown to go.

Not only that but Saban's difficulty with the spread style seems to be a problem for him and that is the style of teams in the Big 12, this might not be a good fit scheme wise, where as another coach might be the perfect fit. Hiring a mercenary for titles sake while the fit is wrong could do more to split the fanbase than has already been done if the gamble doesnt work. And Saban does have a problem slowing or stopping those high octane offense teams.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hoke seems to have some issues also. I have heard the AD is a bit meddlesome and hard to work with. Saban has less issues. He is quite the proven commodity and comes with a lot of power. Fighting him would not be as easy as someone like RRod

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that but Saban's difficulty with the spread style seems to be a problem for him and that is the style of teams in the Big 12, this might not be a good fit scheme wise, where as another coach might be the perfect fit. Hiring a mercenary for titles sake while the fit is wrong could do more to split the fanbase than has already been done if the gamble doesnt work. And Saban does have a problem slowing or stopping those high octane offense teams.
-
Always thought this was BS. Saban shuts down many spreads offenses. Ole Miss and MSU have been running spreads for yrs, but those dont count. He loses to Cam and Manziel and it is a "spread issue". Well those guys won Heismans. It is probably more of a Heisman issue. Holding Auburn to 27 pts of offense is a mediocre result, but one of their lowest numbers of the yr. Might be better off saying his defense has issues vs really good offenses.Shocker!!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yahoo! Sports

lol this story is very confusing

Its confusing because they are trying to get hits with sensationalist hogwash with no actual facts to back up anything.

Here's where its at right now. Mack has not decided to step down and was recruiting a kid yesterday when he god blindsided. Saban was in Kentucky or someplace like that recruiting when they said his plane was landing in Austin. More hogwash. Saban has been paged at the Austin Airport by Texas hopefuls or another teams pranksters. There is a current raise offer on Saban's desk from Alabama that will make him the highest paid coach in the country including the NFL(from inside sources) and Mack has yet to speak to anyone concerning his official status as of yesterday. Thats where it currently stands as of now from all the sources i have.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Always thought this was BS. Saban shuts down many spreads offenses. Ole Miss and MSU have been running spreads for yrs, but those dont count. He loses to Cam and Manziel and it is a "spread issue". Well those guys won Heismans. It is probably more of a Heisman issue. Holding Auburn to 27 pts of offense is a mediocre result, but one of their lowest numbers of the yr. Might be better off saying his defense has issues vs really good offenses.Shocker!!

So my point still fits pretty well huh. shocker.

Certain types of spreads give Saban fits as well as certain types of QB's that can run and pass well as a combination. Its no secret that he has trouble with high powered spread offenses, which is why i feel his fit at UT will not be a good one should he decide to jump ship. Plenty of reasons not to hire him, but only one good one to really hire him, titles might be a possibility if he can overcome his problem with those spread offenses week in and out. In the SEC he doesnt see then every week, he would just about every week in the Big 12.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-

MSU doesn't run a spread offense.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would make complete sense if Saban ended up at Texas.

Get paid more to do an easier job. Road to the natty would be a cakewalk compared to the SEC. He would be inheriting 5 star talent across the board. And last but not least, he basically would own his own conference.