• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It looks like Missouri will be #14

ladyrockess

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor, I hate both of them but I hate Baylor less.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The culture of Mizzou and even A&M just don't fit in the SEC; I'd be pissed if I was currently in the SEC to have outsiders come in and stain the traditional culture. Sure financially it makes more sense, but the greatness of college football stems from regional rivalries and the individual flavor of each team, not the money aspect. As a fan, I couldn't give two shits how much money a conference or team makes but I sure as hell wouldn't want Clemson to play a bunch of teams over 5+ hours away.

I disagree again, yes there are some great rivalries and "regional" play. However, UK, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State don't really belong either. None of them would pack a stadium out unless the teams are doing really doing well, and they don't care too much about there rivalries.(See Ole Miss giving tickets back to Miss State).

Besides, who says A&M and Mizzou don't fit compared to Clemson in terms of tradition? Each of them have a significant following, and they both are fairly competitive in sports outside of football.

Finally, Clemson is just Auburn with a lake, and we don't need another Auburn.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree again, yes there are some great rivalries and "regional" play. However, UK, Vandy, Ole Miss, and Miss State don't really belong either. None of them would pack a stadium out unless the teams are doing really doing well, and they don't care too much about there rivalries.(See Ole Miss giving tickets back to Miss State).

Besides, who says A&M and Mizzou don't fit compared to Clemson in terms of tradition? Each of them have a significant following, and they both are fairly competitive in sports outside of football.

Finally, Clemson is just Auburn with a lake, and we don't need another Auburn.

:censored:

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Big Ten needs Mizzou to get Missouri's media markets.

If there is a St. Louis or Kansas City resident here please weigh in, but look at the geography. The big metro areas with all the people are on the state's borders. St. Louis suburbs spill over into Illinois, and Kansas City suburbs spill over into Kansas. If you've got the Illini and Jayhawks, you've got the Big Ten Network on Missouri cable providers.

Now for the SEC, it does represent a new market, because nobody in MO lives down along the Arkansas border in the Ozarks.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea of adding 1 team to the west (A-n-M) and one team to the East (I have a team in mind). That way out of division garunteed games stay the same with the 2 new schools playing every year until 16 come in. Would seem to make the most sense.

WoodyHayes1951

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mizzou reserved their right to sue right?

They see the writing on the wall. The SEC doesn't want them.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't 4 teams on this list that the Big Ten would add.

:suspicious:

Why do people keep insisting on saying things like this?

I have lived in New York City for 7 years. I go to various bars around the city to watch college football games every Saturday in the fall. I have NEVER MET a Connecticut football fan, or seen one of their games on any of the several TVs in a bar. Same goes for Rutgers (except that I have met one Rutgers fan, a former coworker).

There is no college football team that "gives you the Northeast" because people from the Northeast don't really watch college football.

Everyone in the Northeast that is a big college football fan is a person that 1) went away to attend college in another part of the country, and became a fan of that team; or 2) is from another part of the country, and moved to NYC, Boston, etc after college. The best way to get BTN (which I already have through Verizon FiOS in Manhattan, by the way) carried by cable providers and exposure in the Northeast, is just to add the biggest schools with the best programs, wherever they are.

But that is where they are located and that is where the tv sets will be added. If they dont watch, oh well, the B1G will still get subscription money.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that is where they are located and that is where the tv sets will be added. If they dont watch, oh well, the B1G will still get subscription money.
How so?

As far as I know, BTN is already available most places in the Northeast. I have it with FiOS now. On the others (Time Warner, RCN) I think it's an extra package, not part of the basic package. But it won't be added to basic packages, and more importantly the price that the Big Ten can charge cable providers for it won't increase, unless people watch it.

You realize that the prices cable providers pay for a channel vary greatly, right? The Big Ten can only demand a huge price for the BTN if there is strong demand from subscribers for it. There's no automatic rule that says "this college football team is in your state, therefore you must carry the channel with their games as a basic cable channel". The reason every cable provider in Nebraska now includes the BTN is that if they didn't, angry Husker fans would have stormed their offices and burned the fucking building down. There are no Rutgers or UConn fans that would do that.

TheDudeAbides

Shomer Shabbat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think the Big Ten needs Mizzou to get Missouri's media markets.

If there is a St. Louis or Kansas City resident here please weigh in, but look at the geography. The big metro areas with all the people are on the state's borders. St. Louis suburbs spill over into Illinois, and Kansas City suburbs spill over into Kansas. If you've got the Illini and Jayhawks, you've got the Big Ten Network on Missouri cable providers.

Now for the SEC, it does represent a new market, because nobody in MO lives down along the Arkansas border in the Ozarks.

The big ten has no following in KC and very little in St Louis so it would help the Big ten with these markets immensely if they picked up Mizzou, but you are right about the Ark border. Besides Springfield which is at least an hour from Ark there is no significant population anywhere that far south in MO.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How so?

As far as I know, BTN is already available most places in the Northeast. I have it with FiOS now. On the others (Time Warner, RCN) I think it's an extra package, not part of the basic package. But it won't be added to basic packages, and more importantly the price that the Big Ten can charge cable providers for it won't increase, unless people watch it.

You realize that the prices cable providers pay for a channel vary greatly, right? The Big Ten can only demand a huge price for the BTN if there is strong demand from subscribers for it. There's no automatic rule that says "this college football team is in your state, therefore you must carry the channel with their games as a basic cable channel". The reason every cable provider in Nebraska now includes the BTN is that if they didn't, angry Husker fans would have stormed their offices and burned the fucking building down. There are no Rutgers or UConn fans that would do that.

^^^

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big ten has no following in KC and very little in St Louis so it would help the Big ten with these markets immensely if they picked up Mizzou, but you are right about the Ark border. Besides Springfield which is at least an hour from Ark there is no significant population anywhere that far south in MO.
To clarify what I meant - this was all based on a scenario whereby the Big Ten picked up Kansas and not Mizzou.

My point was that with the Jayhawks fans in KC (Lawrence is what, 40 minutes west?), and the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis, you'd have "enough" contact with the two metros that you'd get BTN on basic cable.

TheDudeAbides

Shomer Shabbat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To clarify what I meant - this was all based on a scenario whereby the Big Ten picked up Kansas and not Mizzou.

My point was that with the Jayhawks fans in KC (Lawrence is what, 40 minutes west?), and the Illinois suburbs of St. Louis, you'd have "enough" contact with the two metros that you'd get BTN on basic cable.

Oh gotcha, ya if they picked up KU instead of Mizzou they would still draw a large audience from the state.