• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It looks like Missouri will be #14

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the ACC is going to do it then they need to do it fast. There is no shot that teams like Maryland, Virginia, VT etc wouldnt leave if they were approached by the B10 or SEC so the ACC needs to make some pre-emptive moves too.

As much as the on-field product has suffered outside of Blacksburg since the expansion, the ACC is in damn good shale financially and the conference would be perfectly fine staying as is. People seem to think that the B1G and SEC can just come and grab teams like with the Big East or Big XII. That is simply not the case. If it was, the whipping boy/bell cow would have left the second they were invited. They didn't. That tells you something.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as the on-field product has suffered outside of Blacksburg since the expansion, the ACC is in damn good shale financially and the conference would be perfectly fine staying as is. People seem to think that the B1G and SEC can just come and grab teams like with the Big East or Big XII. That is simply not the case. If it was, the whipping boy/bell cow would have left the second they were invited. They didn't. That tells you something.

The ACC is in fine shape. The issue they are potentially going to run into is if the P12 and SEC start hedging towards going to 16 teams then the B10 is sure to follow. Now the B10 could get a few BE team like Pitt/Syracuse/Rutgers and add a B12 team like Kansas but I dont know if that makes sense. The ACC is the 4th strongest conference out there right now IMO and should be OK but I would be slightly worried in I were them especially if VT bolts and sets off some sort of chain reaction. ALthough I guess even if VT,GT, Maryland were to leave the ACC could just supplement with BE teams.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ACC is in fine shape. The issue they are potentially going to run into is if the P12 and SEC start hedging towards going to 16 teams then the B10 is sure to follow. Now the B10 could get a few BE team like Pitt/Syracuse/Rutgers and add a B12 team like Kansas but I dont know if that makes sense. The ACC is the 4th strongest conference out there right now IMO and should be OK but I would be slightly worried in I were them especially if VT bolts and sets off some sort of chain reaction. ALthough I guess even if VT,GT, Maryland were to leave the ACC could just supplement with BE teams.

If the B1G jumps to 16 and adds four of the following teams:

Pitt
ND
UConn
Cuse
Rutgers
Kansas
West Virginia

Then what is left would end up in the ACC...

More likely, however, is that Pitt links with WVU, which is a sticking point with them, or has been in the past and since the B1G wants nothing to do with WVU and they have two rivals already in the ACC, in VT and UMD, they go east. Add ND and Kansas to the B1G. That leaves Cuse, UConn, Rutgers left...say two go to the big and the other to the ACC. The ACC adds USF or UCF. Both conferences increase their footprint, add some in football and survive.

Just a hypothetical but....

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id find it hard to believe the acc would go to 3 or 4 teams in the state of florida.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G is all about TV sets and $. Missouri adds both St Louis and KC, Maryland, adds DC/Baltimore, UCONN adds the NorthEast and ND adds everywhere.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone can possibly entertain the notion of Georgia Tech going to the Big Ten. Sorry 462, your sources have been reliable, but that's just retarded. Not the information itself, but the idea of it.... Georgia Tech does absolutely nothing for the B1G.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how anyone can possibly entertain the notion of Georgia Tech going to the Big Ten. Sorry 462, your sources have been reliable, but that's just retarded. Not the information itself, but the idea of it.... Georgia Tech does absolutely nothing for the B1G.

It makes sense from a market standpoint but I find it perplexing as well. Still, these guys are pretty much on point with a lot of things.

The key is B1g Network on TV sets.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Atlanta is a big market but I just can't see how that would justify it. Maybe in a full blown 8 team expansion that reaches into the south to secure recruiting marketability..reaching all the way to USF. But I don't even think that's important.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the SEC could add Missouri as 14 without going all the way to 16 right away. That would mean Auburn playing in the East until 15 and 16 are added then moving back to the West

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see how the SEC could add Missouri as 14 without going all the way to 16 right away. That would mean Auburn playing in the East until 15 and 16 are added then moving back to the West

prior to 1992 auburn played mostly sec east teams anyway. why would them shifting east be a problem?

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
prior to 1992 auburn played mostly sec east teams anyway. why would them shifting east be a problem?

It wouldn't. It would just be weird to change divisions for only one or two years. I guess it could happen though

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but jizzney says Mizzou Kstate, Kansas and Baylor going to Big East when big 12 goes bye bye :L

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
id find it hard to believe the acc would go to 3 or 4 teams in the state of florida.

Why not? They already have 4 in the state of NC.

BigAppleBadger

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the B1G jumps to 16 and adds four of the following teams:

Pitt
ND
UConn
Cuse
Rutgers
Kansas
West Virginia
There aren't 4 teams on this list that the Big Ten would add.

The B1G is all about TV sets and $. Missouri adds both St Louis and KC, Maryland, adds DC/Baltimore, UCONN adds the NorthEast and ND adds everywhere.
:suspicious:

Why do people keep insisting on saying things like this?

I have lived in New York City for 7 years. I go to various bars around the city to watch college football games every Saturday in the fall. I have NEVER MET a Connecticut football fan, or seen one of their games on any of the several TVs in a bar. Same goes for Rutgers (except that I have met one Rutgers fan, a former coworker).

There is no college football team that "gives you the Northeast" because people from the Northeast don't really watch college football.

Everyone in the Northeast that is a big college football fan is a person that 1) went away to attend college in another part of the country, and became a fan of that team; or 2) is from another part of the country, and moved to NYC, Boston, etc after college. The best way to get BTN (which I already have through Verizon FiOS in Manhattan, by the way) carried by cable providers and exposure in the Northeast, is just to add the biggest schools with the best programs, wherever they are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The culture of Mizzou and even A&M just don't fit in the SEC; I'd be pissed if I was currently in the SEC to have outsiders come in and stain the traditional culture. Sure financially it makes more sense, but the greatness of college football stems from regional rivalries and the individual flavor of each team, not the money aspect. As a fan, I couldn't give two shits how much money a conference or team makes but I sure as hell wouldn't want Clemson to play a bunch of teams over 5+ hours away.

Ballboy534

Resident Rehabilitator
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did, it makes a lot of sense. I just wish Clemson could turn these recruits into studs on the field... :faint:

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The culture of Mizzou and even A&M just don't fit in the SEC; I'd be pissed if I was currently in the SEC to have outsiders come in and stain the traditional culture. Sure financially it makes more sense, but the greatness of college football stems from regional rivalries and the individual flavor of each team, not the money aspect. As a fan, I couldn't give two shits how much money a conference or team makes but I sure as hell wouldn't want Clemson to play a bunch of teams over 5+ hours away.

missouri and texas both flew the stars and bars. thats close enough for some folks.