• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

It is a strange new world

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for being so absent...but the Flyers have been from the playoffs so...

Anywho. The Flyers make a nifty move and get the rights to Streit and sign him. So far so good. BUT. They were already over the cap and even with the Briere buyout they are still over the cap (at least as far as I can tell...).

Now people are seriously talking about bringing in Ryan (JvR from South Jersey instead of North Jersey). That is another serious contract. How is this helping? Even considering what is going to be shipped out to make bringing in Ryan

I am left shaking my head. A class act is bought out. Bryz is given yet another vote of confidence and now the rumors surrounding Ryan pick up again. Am I the only one who seas that they need more depth on the blue line and another goalie?

And no money to pay for anything?

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry for being so absent...but the Flyers have been from the playoffs so...

Anywho. The Flyers make a nifty move and get the rights to Streit and sign him. So far so good. BUT. They were already over the cap and even with the Briere buyout they are still over the cap (at least as far as I can tell...).

Now people are seriously talking about bringing in Ryan (JvR from South Jersey instead of North Jersey). That is another serious contract. How is this helping? Even considering what is going to be shipped out to make bringing in Ryan

I am left shaking my head. A class act is bought out. Bryz is given yet another vote of confidence and now the rumors surrounding Ryan pick up again. Am I the only one who seas that they need more depth on the blue line and another goalie?

And no money to pay for anything?

At the end of the day, it's just rumors. Nothing more.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're loaded with defenders on defense. They just had trouble moving the puck so the d looked terrible. They're probably the deepest blue line in the league. Grossmann and Mesz are the 3rd pair. That's a ridiculous third pair.

I think the Ryan rumors are 100% Philly media. JMO.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at how Boston moves the puck out of its zone it's something that the Flyers need to be able to do. Adding guys like Streit will bring them closer to that plus he's smart enough to be patient if the pass isn't there. Last year way too many forced passes so this will help immensely. Awaz is correct about the D they do have a lot of body's just maybe need another high end dman which isn't always easy to find but maybe adding Streit will be enough. I'd love to see them trade a few of them and upgrade as I believe Gusty Bourdon laurdensen etc can play in the nhl. Not sure what to think about goalie situation I know bernier will be good but should they worry about it this year? What if Mason rocks or Bryz finally stabilizes his game with another year? They could be just giving away assets for nothing. Something to think about.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is my opinion on the Bryzy situation. I think that is critical of Homer asking Bryzy w honesty here. I think that the Flyers still want to keep Bryzy, but the real question here is does Bryzy want out? My guess is yes because Bryzy hS been asked a few times before about his experience has been in Philly. We know he does not do well w the media. I think by the draft we will see a new goaltender and Bryzy bought out. I also think Meszaros will be dealt.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the defense was the entire problem getting the puck out of the zone. Our forwards tend to fly the zone really fast, which leaves the defense with three options: pass to the other Dman, clear it off the wall, and try and beat the forechecker one on one. It's pretty easy to press us with just two forecheckers since our forwards weren't supporting worth a damn. Hopefully with a longer preseason Lavi has time to reteach "Not being a selfish asshole 101" to the offense.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that the defense was the entire problem getting the puck out of the zone. Our forwards tend to fly the zone really fast, which leaves the defense with three options: pass to the other Dman, clear it off the wall, and try and beat the forechecker one on one. It's pretty easy to press us with just two forecheckers since our forwards weren't supporting worth a damn. Hopefully with a longer preseason Lavi has time to reteach "Not being a selfish asshole 101" to the offense.

Yep correct but I remember seeing them force a pass way too many times down the ice when they could have went D to D. I see the B's do it all the time until the play is there. Its just a safer game to play but do we blame the D or the coaching? It also helps to have guys like Bergeron who will come back and loop around in the defensive zone to help make life easier for the D. Schenn must improve that part of his game if he wants to stay as the 2nd line center. Offense starts with defence!

I'm honestly glad that Flyers didn't overpay for bernier heck he may suck! Mason may end up being better. Too many unknowns and they've already pulled the trigger on Mason so ride him now.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vader and FinFan
I agree that the forwards stretching the gap has been a large part of the problem that the defense has with moving the puck. The point I was struggling to make, and as a former imobile goalie I know for a fact, that a goalie who does not handle the puck well, make quick passes to the defense and help the defense corral the puck to start moving it...is costing the defense seconds...those seconds are the difference between a three stride gap with the forwards and a 10 stride gap. That is a turnover, that is a defenseman outmanned. That is an oddman against waiting to happen.

That is why I favor a goalie who can help move the puck quickly. It buys that one second to three seconds that make the difference.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason moved the puck pretty well so I guess we'll see but get your point that's why this is a team game.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vader and FinFan
I agree that the forwards stretching the gap has been a large part of the problem that the defense has with moving the puck. The point I was struggling to make, and as a former imobile goalie I know for a fact, that a goalie who does not handle the puck well, make quick passes to the defense and help the defense corral the puck to start moving it...is costing the defense seconds...those seconds are the difference between a three stride gap with the forwards and a 10 stride gap. That is a turnover, that is a defenseman outmanned. That is an oddman against waiting to happen.

That is why I favor a goalie who can help move the puck quickly. It buys that one second to three seconds that make the difference.

This is 1000000000% on the money. With mason in there our offense looked a lot faster and performed better. there were too many times bryz just covered the puck for no reason or didnt even try to stop a wrap around dump in and sometimes when he actually handled the puck he was very awkward in getting the pass to the defenseman.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what? Bryzy is out and I'm happy at the moment. It looks like Razor may be back?

soulxflare

Arrive. Raise Hell. Leave.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what? Bryzy is out and I'm happy at the moment. It looks like Razor may be back?

Couldn't agree more. It was the best news I've heard in weeks.