• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Westbrook the most gifted guard in NBA history ?..

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disagreement is that op said Jordan wasn't permitted to get the same numbers that Westbrook has gotten. But the truth is he was and didn't.

I believe I'm OP and I don't believe OP made the claim, I'm not sure OP even understands your point.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The disagreement is that op said Jordan wasn't permitted to get the same numbers that Westbrook has gotten. But the truth is he was and didn't.

I believe I'm OP and I don't believe OP made the claim, I'm not sure OP even understands your point.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the Thunder have won. They're 32-9 when Westbrook records a triple-double, and 13-25 when he doesn't. (If he'd just get his act together and triple-double all 82 games, the Thunder could've been on a 64-18 pace this season). There's an impact and an influence to Westbrook's statistical dominance, because as much as he has wanted it, it has also been necessary. The Thunder were stripped clean in the summer, and Westbrook was left to shoulder the burden.

Winner, big winner.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop trying so hard, you've proven you're an idiot many times over.
So you have better footwork than Westbrook, calling that a croc is an insult to crocs everywhere.
If you really want to understand feet, watch them, and only them when a player is in every sort of move and situation.
Westbrook almost never gets his tangled, or loses his center of balance, even on drives where he is cut off by multiple defenders. He not only keeps his balance, he comes down more often than not in near perfect alignment to continue running or defending. It's like watching a cat, it doesn't look practiced, it seems remarkably innate.
Calling that athleticism just shows how limited your vocabulary and knowledge of sports/athletics truly is.

What you are talking about isn't basketball footwork. It isn't balance and agility which Westbrook has in spades.

Basketball footwork is using using jabs/fakes to get the defender off balance and create space. Harden is Ann example ornate a modern player who has phenomenal footwork. Westbrook might be the best natural athlete in the world, but what you are talking about is not basketball footwork. And your right. It is innate for him. Footwork is not. It is practiced and intentional.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What you are talking about isn't basketball footwork. It isn't balance and agility which Westbrook has in spades.

Basketball footwork is using using jabs/fakes to get the defender off balance and create space. Harden is Ann example ornate a modern player who has phenomenal footwork. Westbrook might be the best natural athlete in the world, but what you are talking about is not basketball footwork. And your right. It is innate for him. Footwork is not. It is practiced and intentional.

Damn auto correct.

Westbrook has extreme agility and balance. His use of footwork is pretty average.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and by the way, balance and agility are components of athleticism.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and by the way, balance and agility are components of athleticism.

Da, and you make a false distinction.
When a RB is said to have good footwork, they're not complimenting his dance steps.
Westbrook has brilliant footwork, get the stick out of your ass and watch.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're making false distinctions and torturing logic in the process.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Da, and you make a false distinction.
When a RB is said to have good footwork, they're not complimenting his dance steps.
Westbrook has brilliant footwork, get the stick out of your ass and watch.

Dude. That is football.

In the basketball industry, talent evaluators look for two basic things: athleticism and skill

Athelticism is made up of size, speed, strength, balance and agility, or the ability to move fluidly. That is what you are describing.

Skill base includes shooting, dribbling, passing, knowledge and footwork which are all learned and or acquired.

It is okay to make a mistake in terminology, but don't call me out for correcting it when you are in the wrong. In the basketball world, what you are talking about is not footwork. It is Russ' uncanny athleticism.

If you want to compare resumes to see who has more experience in this field and who better knows what they are talking about, I would be happy to. But, I suggest you save yourself some face by ending this silly debate.

ChrisWebber

Changed my password to "incorrect"
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what there was to disagree with in that post. He pointed out that Westbrook is getting the numbers he is because he has to, which is absolutely correct. MJ's overall numbers came down a little when Pippen emerged and he had a better supporting cast. The same thing happened with Kobe, when the Lakers lost Shaq. His numbers went up considerably. Then, when Bynum emerged as a player and they were able to get Pau his numbers came down because he had help.

If/when the Thunder are able to add some talent around Westbrook, his numbers should also come down a bit. At least I'd hope so, since it would be better for him and the team. What he's doing has made for an amazing season, but it's not sustainable over a long period of time.

Westbrook doesn't necessarily need to rebound the ball 10 times a game for the Thunder to win. Westbrook doesn't need to shoot 24 times to win. I do agree that the Thunder need him to perform every night to have a chance. Take last night vs the Suns. He shot the ball 25 times, 12 times from 3 and many of them were early on the shot clock and contested. That is not winning basketball. One thing that irked me last night was when Westbrook was wide open late in the game and decided to pass the ball into a crowd of defenders to try and get his assists. I don't like to see a player stat chase like that, it should come in the natural flow of the game.

I believe the Thunder would be a better team if Westbrook was more efficient. He doesn't really need to average a triple double.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook doesn't necessarily need to rebound the ball 10 times a game for the Thunder to win. Westbrook doesn't need to shoot 24 times to win. I do agree that the Thunder need him to perform every night to have a chance. Take last night vs the Suns. He shot the ball 25 times, 12 times from 3 and many of them were early on the shot clock and contested. That is not winning basketball. One thing that irked me last night was when Westbrook was wide open late in the game and decided to pass the ball into a crowd of defenders to try and get his assists. I don't like to see a player stat chase like that, it should come in the natural flow of the game.

I believe the Thunder would be a better team if Westbrook was more efficient. He doesn't really need to average a triple double.

Somebody posted The Thunder's record when RW registers a triple vs when he doesn't. It's extremely definitive they are 2nd tier title contender level when he gets them, below average when he doesn't.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude. That is football.

In the basketball industry, talent evaluators look for two basic things: athleticism and skill

Athelticism is made up of size, speed, strength, balance and agility, or the ability to move fluidly. That is what you are describing.

Skill base includes shooting, dribbling, passing, knowledge and footwork which are all learned and or acquired.

It is okay to make a mistake in terminology, but don't call me out for correcting it when you are in the wrong. In the basketball world, what you are talking about is not footwork. It is Russ' uncanny athleticism.

If you want to compare resumes to see who has more experience in this field and who better knows what they are talking about, I would be happy to. But, I suggest you save yourself some face by ending this silly debate.

Dude, I doubt anybody on this board has played more basketball than I have, all as a guard, usually SG though.
His footwork is very skilled, but his speed and coordination in his feet and lower body are beyond exceptional.
In RW's case your argument is academic at best, and completely irrelevant to his game.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I doubt anybody on this board has played more basketball than I have, all as a guard, usually SG though.
His footwork is very skilled, but his speed and coordination in his feet and lower body are beyond exceptional.
In RW's case your argument is academic at best, and completely irrelevant to his game.

No, it may be semantic, but you are the one using incorrect terminology.

Westbrook does not have bad footwork, but he isn't noted or it either. You said his footwork was the best you had ever seen, but you were instead talking more about his athletic traits. I agree that I have not seen a better athlete on the basketball court. There are plenty guys more skilled though.

By the way, I have coached at the high school level for more than a decade and had these conversations with dozens of college coaches recruiting players at my school. Terminology matters a lot to those guys and they all speak the same language.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, it may be semantic, but you are the one using incorrect terminology.

Westbrook does not have bad footwork, but he isn't noted or it either. You said his footwork was the best you had ever seen, but you were instead talking more about his athletic traits. I agree that I have not seen a better athlete on the basketball court. There are plenty guys more skilled though.

By the way, I have coached at the high school level for more than a decade and had these conversations with dozens of college coaches recruiting players at my school. Terminology matters a lot to those guys and they all speak the same language.

Frankly I think you're lying.
I can't imagine a long time basketball coach sticking with your very silly hair splitting.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Frankly I think you're lying.
I can't imagine a long time basketball coach sticking with your very silly hair splitting.

LOL.

If you don't speak the language, they don't respect your opinion. Details matter.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.

If you don't speak the language, they don't respect your opinion. Details matter.

You're clearly not a coach dude.
I've never met a coach anal like your are about such a silly detail, AND you're wrong to boot.