• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is this 2019 LSU Team the best ever/sorry 1995 Nebraska but I think so

Is the LSU team the Best Ever

• Total voters

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was 3 during ‘95 Nebraska so I have no opinion on them. I think time period plays into it, what people define as ‘the best’ plays into it.

Is ‘the best’ the most talent that is sent to the league? Is the best, the way a team dominated competition? Is the best, the team that played the most difficult schedule?

I think you get 3 different answers when basing it off those 3 questions. I will say, in my honest objective opinion I do believe LSU this season is the best team in modern day college football.

I agree that it is a different time and though it can be fun to discuss, it is ultimately ridiculous.

With that said, I do NOT believe you can base the Greatest Team in College Football of All Time on "talent that is sent to the league". And according to winsipedia, Nebraska ranks 7th in draft picks so it isn't like we haven't had a fair share, I just geuninely believe it is irrelevant to the conversation. It is something that is not defined nor applicable at the college level. Some teams have a lot of good players on bad teams that get drafted... it is absolutely a good thing and something you can sell recruits on, but it has no bearing on if the TEAM was great or not. Not to mention, the NFL can pass on people for any reason they choose, there isn't a set objective standard for who gets drafted and who doesn't. The only thing is that you assume they are a good player - and then there are many busts as well. But again, none of these points should matter because when discussing this, in my opinion, it only matters what the TEAM did on the field in college. Once the clock hits zero on the last game, everything after that and before the season began is irrelevant.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that it is a different time and though it can be fun to discuss, it is ultimately ridiculous.

With that said, I do NOT believe you can base the Greatest Team in College Football of All Time on "talent that is sent to the league". And according to winsipedia, Nebraska ranks 7th in draft picks so it isn't like we haven't had a fair share, I just geuninely believe it is irrelevant to the conversation. It is something that is not defined nor applicable at the college level. Some teams have a lot of good players on bad teams that get drafted... it is absolutely a good thing and something you can sell recruits on, but it has no bearing on if the TEAM was great or not. Not to mention, the NFL can pass on people for any reason they choose, there isn't a set objective standard for who gets drafted and who doesn't. The only thing is that you assume they are a good player - and then there are many busts as well. But again, none of these points should matter because when discussing this, in my opinion, it only matters what the TEAM did on the field in college. Once the clock hits zero on the last game, everything after that and before the season began is irrelevant.
I don’t disagree, but just wanted to throw that out there because so many people say some of those Miami squads. The problem with comparing teams from different era’s is, there isn’t any frame of reference how a team would respond to the other’s play style. The style of offense LSU has run this year was in it’s infancy.

For example as a freshman in high school 7/10 teams ran wing t and by my senior year 7/10 ran spread. No one runs a triple option in the sense of like Army/Navy type, but teams do run forms of options out of the gun.

So how would Nebraska have looked out of modern day triple option looks? How would their personnel have matched up? And keep in mind this is only comparing to 1995, there is no way to come up with a definitive answer to these questions with this small gap much less teams from 30/40/50 years ago.

Blackshirts BLVD

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t disagree, but just wanted to throw that out there because so many people say some of those Miami squads. .

Exactly.

And I do think that 2001 Miami is a great team, probably top 5 all time, but no way they are #1 in my opinion especially if the biggest/bestest argument for them is the 17 first rounders nonsense.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly.

And I do think that 2001 Miami is a great team, probably top 5 all time, but no way they are #1 in my opinion especially if the biggest/bestest argument for them is the 17 first rounders nonsense.
Best backfield though.

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this LSU team isn't, they certainly are the closest to 95 Nebraska that I've ever seen.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. What the fuck is "shit them up"? lol

2. Considering that the Greatest Team of All Time didn't play USC, they couldn't have "shit them up" whether thats good or bad.

3. Yeah I know. Nebraska won that too, thanks for mentioning. Herbie was acting like a little bitch though...

Heck. And that’s not even the series I was remembering. There was another with just the three chuckleheads

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best offense maybe. D Watson and Clempsun a few years ago give that LSU team a much better game. That Clemspsum team last night wasn’t even close to the best of the last 3 years

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best offense maybe. D Watson and Clempsun a few years ago give that LSU team a much better game. That Clemspsum team last night wasn’t even close to the best of the last 3 years
Clemson will be back in the CFP this next time around. Dabo's classes just keep getting better and better.

2020 Football Team Rankings

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemson last year vs LSU this year would have been one hell of a game. The reason is that team could have rushed 3 with putting pressure and dropped 8 into coverage. Only time anyone had any type of success this season was Auburn because they were able to do this.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif
Yeah he was funny, in an angry/dry, unintentional sort of way.

DeafOranguntan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,105.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, our front 7 was just bad compared to last year and Venables covered it up with schemes all year. You combine that with Thomas being suspended part of the game, Lawrence playing one of his worst games (just mental errors, overthrowing open receivers), bad offensive playcalling (ETN doesn't get a carry in the second half after that touchdown despite getting over 5 yards a carry?), Higgins getting nastily banged up, Skalski being ejected, and LSU playing like absolute monsters, and you get that game. I think last year's team would have done much better, because if Clemson got to Burrow 5 times, last year's defensive line would have killed him. Clemson doesn't have a defensive lineman on par with any of those 5 guys. But Brady is absolutely brilliant and ripped Venable's weird defense apart and made better adjustments.

I think you have to say that LSU is the best passing offense ever. LSU played some good teams this year and yet Burrow never really had a bad game. He completed 76% of his passes for 5,671 yards, 60 touchdowns, and 6 interceptions (and added almost 400 yards and 5 touchdowns on the ground). And he did it in the SEC and against Texas, Oklahoma, and Clemson. And even if Clemson's defense didn't compare to last year's, it still was the best in football and LSU had 628 yards and 42 points against it. Nebraska's rushing attack was ridiculous in 1995, so they have an argument for best offense too. But I think I have to give it to LSU.

That said, no, definitely not the best team ever. They had three close games this year, struggling against 5 loss Texas, 4 loss Auburn, and Alabama. They just weren't well-rounded enough to compete for the title of GOAT the way 1972 USC, 1971 or 1995 Nebraska, 2001 Miami, 2018 Clemson. Maybe top 10 though, and absolutely one of the best stories. No one believe LSU had much of a chance this year, and people laughed when Burrow talked up their offense. He proved pretty much everyone wrong.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where are the screaming bama fans?

Not really a topic we get worked up about. We're more into most. You can't lead every category.

Were they able to play each other in their prime, I think Nebraska runs all over LSU and LSU passes all over Nebraska.

AlaskaGuy

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,312.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. What the fuck is "shit them up"? lol

2. Considering that the Greatest Team of All Time didn't play USC, they couldn't have "shit them up" whether thats good or bad.

3. Yeah I know. Nebraska won that too, thanks for mentioning. Herbie was acting like a little bitch though...

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Minnesota? Between 1933 and 1941 the finished first 7 times. (Albeit all tied)

They should get some consideration....

The 1940 team did play and beat 4 Top Ten teams out of their 8 games. 5 out of 15 is 1/3rd but 4 out of 8 is half of their games, but LSU was never challenged, so I'd probably give LSU 2019 the edge over 1940 UMN.

But...

The 1934 team destroyed all of it's opponents, 270-34.

They beat Nebraska Ag 56-14
They beat Nebraska 20-0
They beat Pittsburgh 14-7 in Pittsburgh, they were sluggish after a 2 week layoff since their last game and let pitt get a 7-0 lead, but woke up in the 2nd half and scored 14 straight points to win the game. Pitt was ranked #4 after 7 games(6-1), they finished 8-1 with wins over Notre Dame(19-0) and USC(20-6) and Nebraska(20-6). They were named The Eastern Champs and one selector even named them national champs. UMn was the only team to beat them in 1933 as well.
They beat Iowa 48-12
They beat Michigan 34-0
They beat Indiana 30-0
They beat Chicago 35-7
They beat Wisconsin 34-0(Wisc had only allowed opponents to score a total of 50 pts against them for the entire season)

The 1934 team had 3 of the 13 Consensus All-Americans that year. 4 total made AA teams. Remember, all teams played 11 players both ways, 3 different sources each had 3 Gophers on their list of just 11 players. The team had SIX All-Big Ten players.

The Gophers averaged 325 yards of offence per game, while only allowing an average of 103 yards per game.

So I'd say the 34 team should be considered for the ALL-Time Greatest team, and the 40 team should be considered just one of the better teams of all-time, but not the greatest.

Last edited:

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Lsu offense is the 4th best in history. Only 3 Oklahoma teams have been better.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 1940 team did play and beat 4 Top Ten teams out of their 8 games. 5 out of 15 is 1/3rd but 4 out of 8 is half of their games, but LSU was never challenged, so I'd probably give LSU 2019 the edge over 1940 UMN.

But...

The 1934 team destroyed all of it's opponents, 270-34.

They beat Nebraska Ag 56-14
They beat Nebraska 20-0
They beat Pittsburgh 14-7 in Pittsburgh, they were sluggish after a 2 week layoff since their last game and let pitt get a 7-0 lead, but woke up in the 2nd half and scored 14 straight points to win the game. Pitt was ranked #4 after 7 games(6-1), they finished 8-1 with wins over Notre Dame(19-0) and USC(20-6) and Nebraska(20-6). They were named The Eastern Champs and one selector even named them national champs. UMn was the only team to beat them in 1933 as well.
They beat Iowa 48-12
They beat Michigan 34-0
They beat Indiana 30-0
They beat Chicago 35-7
They beat Wisconsin 34-0(Wisc had only allowed opponents to score a total of 50 pts against them for the entire season)

The 1934 team had 3 of the 13 Consensus All-Americans that year. 4 total made AA teams. Remember, all teams played 11 players both ways, 3 different sources each had 3 Gophers on their list of just 11 players. The team had SIX All-Big Ten players.

The Gophers averaged 325 yards of offence per game, while only allowing an average of 103 yards per game.

So I'd say the 34 team should be considered for the ALL-Time Greatest team, and the 40 team should be considered just one of the better teams of all-time, but not the greatest.

Nobody is giving any sort of "all-time greatest" title to a team from the 1930's. Sorry.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is giving any sort of "all-time greatest" title to a team from the 1930's. Sorry.

Then label it the MODERN all time best than.

Don't be a liar and ignore a great team from the past just because you are too young and stupid to appreciate greatness.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. LSU played stiffer competition, and will produce more NFL players.

Also, when it’s close, I always give the more modern team/player the nod

HuskerBruce

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have to give some leeway to MOV in a 15 game season.

That's just me though.

I would have had they not given up 402 yards on the ground to Ole Miss. 95 Nebraska would skull fuck them.