• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Steph Curry still a top 5 player in the league?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, one has to seriously consider the circumstances Westbrook. He was forced to take considerably more threes this season with the loss of Durant, which hindered his overall FG percentage. And he actually shot a career-high from three with more attempts.

Maybe this is the Jerry Stackhouse fan in me speaking, but I have no problem with a player forcing the issue when surrounded by mediocre role players and misfits. Stack had no choice but to take on a greater scoring burden for the 2000-01 Pistons after they had lost Grant Hill and Lindsey Hunter the prior summer.

Westbrook, obviously, has blown Stack out of the water with his performance this year. He's going to be the 2016-17 MVP and future hall-of-famer and you haters are just going to have to deal with it (looking at you, @tlance ).

I agree with much of this. If a guy as talented as Westbrook is surrounded by average players, he really has no choice but to play hero ball and try to win games by himself. That's why, all season long, I was on the Westbrook for MVP bandwagon.

However, the problem for Westbrook is that he played that same way when he had teammates that were far above average.

And why are you calling people haters for making legitimate, basketball related criticisms of Westbrook?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top 5 is so subjective, but I'd take Curry on my team anytime.
The team he is on is obviously and has been loaded, but he can pretty much do it all.
If the Warriors continue to stay focused and not allow egos to collide, we're looking at a historic run IMO.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as I can tell, Curry is better than ever. Early in his career he had some issues staying healthy and debatably some late game issues.

I think people see Curry's usage going down from 2016 being a bad thing but his 2017 levels are pretty normal as it still has him as the 2nd highest FG attempts of his career.

His WS per 48 minutes in the playoffs last year was .272. Durant's was .280. Lebron was .275. Its really hard to look at any of those and say they aren't some of the best players in the NBA period. Leonard is the only other player I'd add to the discussion to be honest. I think thats the clear top 4 in the NBA right now.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he is. Lebron, Durant, Westbrook, Haden join him in the top 5.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, we all were having fun with Cavs fans when Curry won his second MVP (unanimous). Any smart poster would've realized though that Lebron's total skillset outweighed Curry's and that the latter was not the best player in the league. I go with KD then Kawhi as well in my order. But that's only because KD's defense has gotten significantly better in Oakland. In OKC he was an elite offensive player but average defender; while Kawhi is an elite defender and good offensive player. But those two are neck-in-neck.

You were having fun with Cavs fans. Some people actually believed it.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steph is indeed special and has to be very close if he's not in the top 5

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It started in 2015-2016 season when we started hearing about Curry being the face of the NBA, arguably dethroning LeBron as the best player in the league with that historic, out of this world regular season performance. But then, he was exposed in the playoffs, and some said because of his injury. And LeBron proved that he was still the best of today.

This season, with the addition of a top 3 player in Kevin Durant to his team, taking a backseat, becoming the second option for his team (most of the time), and then not winning the Finals MVP again. Obviously he's still in his prime, but do you think Curry is still a top 5 player?
Top 10.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with much of this. If a guy as talented as Westbrook is surrounded by average players, he really has no choice but to play hero ball and try to win games by himself. That's why, all season long, I was on the Westbrook for MVP bandwagon.

However, the problem for Westbrook is that he played that same way when he had teammates that were far above average.

And why are you calling people haters for making legitimate, basketball related criticisms of Westbrook?

Well, the LeBron guzzlers are typically willing to blame anyone but him for team failures, but Westbrook suddenly gets all the blame for all the Thunder's failures???

You have to look at all the circumstances. Sure, Westbrook isn't blameless, but nor is the rest of the Thunder roster. In 2012 they made the Finals with a young, inexperienced roster that was probably a little trigger-happy to take down the Heat at their peak. In 2013, Westbrook got hurt in the playoffs and Memphis eliminated them easily in five. In 2014, they were legit but the Spurs were just better. In 2015, Durant got hurt. And then last year, the team lacked a third playmaker to the point that Durant and Westbrook had to create everything by themselves and the offense stopped flowing during the last three games against GS?

Bottom line, if your going to blame Westbrook for all the Thunder's failures over the years you better hold the rest of the roster to the same standard. Again, looking at you @tlance

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook better than Durant and Kawhi. Shows you're a complete dumbass.

Right, and Kawhi hasn't become iso-heavy by any stretch. This is a fact the most fans tend to overlook due to Pop's greatness as a coach, that Kawhi's style this season has in fact limited the effectiveness of his teammates.

But, nice to see you unblocked me jackass.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, and Kawhi hasn't become iso-heavy by any stretch. This is a fact the most fans tend to overlook due to Pop's greatness as a coach, that Kawhi's style this season has in fact limited the effectiveness of his teammates.

But, nice to see you unblocked me jackass.
I see you're reaching as always, fuck boy.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What he accomplished statistically was great and all. Ranking him ahead of KD and Kawhi fails to consider context. If Curry had a usage rate over 40% his stats (aside from rebounding) would be better than westbrook's. The smart posters on here are saying Curry is better then Russ. You are saying Russ is better than KD and Kawhi. That should tell you something.

Well guess what, you don't get to decide who's smart and who's not. Opinions make can make assholes. Humble yourself.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to come between Russ and Kawhi for MVP, but my money is on Russ winning it, and he will have earned it.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switch Harden for Curry and Rockets probably don't even Make the playoffs.

Switch Curry with Harden, and Warriors win 3-4 straight no doubt

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well guess what, you don't get to decide who's smart and who's not. Opinions make can make assholes. Humble yourself.

Dude.

You specifically call me out twice on this thread. It isn't even an opinion. It is fact. I have not seen a single basketball person say that Westbrook is better than Kawhi or KD. Not one. Journalists with limited real knowledge say it because they don't know what the hell they are watching and are blown away by the numbers.

I blame Westbrook because I understand how the game of basketball works. When 1 player hogs the ball, it is impossible for others around him to get in rhythm and it can impact their play on both ends of the court. I you have ever played basketball in your life, you would have some basic understanding of this. LeBron is not anything like Westbrook and it is literally insane to compare the two. If anything, the knock on LeBron is that he isn't assertive enough.

I watch games and draw my own conclusions on players. You continue to try to come at me, but you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

You are the fool who took Reggie Jackson in the first round of our 30 team draft last year. At that time, I said it was the worst pick In the draft and you defended it because you have zero eye for talent. Now tell me, how did that work out for you?

I could go on and on about lame opinions you spew that have been proven wrong. I have tried to be civil with you, but if you keep coming at me, you are going to get roasted. So I suggest you keep my name out your mouth.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Switch Harden for Curry and Rockets probably don't even Make the playoffs.

Switch Curry with Harden, and Warriors win 3-4 straight no doubt

Wow. Can't believe I am saying this, but this might be your worst post yet. That is tough, because you have a lot of real doozies.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. Can't believe I am saying this, but this might be your worst post yet. That is tough, because you have a lot of real doozies.

Harden is bigger, tougher, and can do more offensively on all angles of the court than Curry Bottom line. Curry is basically a "If My 3 isn't hitting, I'm fucked"

What 3 finals appearances, still NO FMVP? Curry is overrated. And one he lost out on FMVP to a damn role player. ROFLMAO!!!!