• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Steph Curry still a top 5 player in the league?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook is second for sure..but his ballhog mentalitity and poor 3 point FG percentage just dont do it for me..I'll take Curry any day of the week.

I think the Westbrook hate is waaaaay overblown........Lets not forget that this guy was the best player in a series last season that led Golden State 3 games to 1, and it was Durant during that collapse that let that team down far more than Russ.........He has proven with talent around him in OKC, he could play in a team concept and have huge team success......

I think if you look at this seasons OKC roster, its nothing short of miraculous that team was playing in the postseason in a very tough Western Conference

BloodType49

FT Bragg NC, aka the center of the universe.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,210.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Westbrook hate is waaaaay overblown........Lets not forget that this guy was the best player in a series last season that led Golden State 3 games to 1, and it was Durant during that collapse that let that team down far more than Russ.........He has proven with talent around him in OKC, he could play in a team concept and have huge team success......

I think if you look at this seasons OKC roster, its nothing short of miraculous that team was playing in the postseason in a very tough Western Conference

I dont hate Westbrook..I just see the flaws in his game and they are way more glarring then Curry's at leasy in the system he plays in. Could you put Westbrook in GS's system and he would be as successful as Steph probably not...and visa versa with Steph in OKC.
The Oklahoma City system is specifically built so Westbrook can get free rebounds and assists. He is also extremely lazy on defense, averaging only a little more than 3 shot contests a game. If he didn’t stat pad to this extent, he would probably be averaging 30/8/7. Russell Westbrook is also shooting ridiculously low for a player averaging 6 3 pointers a game, and has a very low Shot IQ. Don’t get me wrong, Westbrook is a top ten player, but Stephen Curry is a better player.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont hate Westbrook..I just see the flaws in his game and they are way more glarring then Curry's at leasy in the system he plays in. Could you put Westbrook in GS's system and he would be as successful as Steph probably not...and visa versa with Steph in OKC.
The Oklahoma City system is specifically built so Westbrook can get free rebounds and assists. He is also extremely lazy on defense, averaging only a little more than 3 shot contests a game. If he didn’t stat pad to this extent, he would probably be averaging 30/8/7. Russell Westbrook is also shooting ridiculously low for a player averaging 6 3 pointers a game, and has a very low Shot IQ. Don’t get me wrong, Westbrook is a top ten player, but Stephen Curry is a better player.

Agree to dis-agree.......I respect your knowledge, I just think as you said, neither of them would have the success they now have, if they switched systems

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Steph ain't no Kyrie Irving.

signed: wiggy

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Would take him over Westbrook and Harden every time. Just about every basketball person would agree. Curry might be the easiest star to play alongside since Magic and Bird. That aspect of his game cannot be overlooked.

Just ask KD who of the 3 he prefers to play with. It is a really easy answer.

The only reason someone might consider the other 2 would be if you had no other talent on the roster, and needed that player to do everything.

I'm not so sure... it just depends on who else is on the roster. If I have already have a star or two, I'll take Curry. If I gotta bunch of role players, I'll take Westbrook or Harden.

Either way... I don't think there is anyway to order Curry, Westbrook, & Harden that could be called crazy.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant and Westbrook never won anything together, including when they had other very, very good players with them. In fact, they lost to Curry's Warriors.

Durant and Curry win a championship in their first year together (and Curry was the best player on the Warriors when they won it the first time).

People want to act like Westbrook is better than Curry? Think again.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant and Westbrook never won anything together, including when they had other very, very good players with them. In fact, they lost to Curry's Warriors.

Durant and Curry win a championship in their first year together (and Curry was the best player on the Warriors when they won it the first time).

Would you equate the 2016 Thunder roster outside of Westbrook & Durant with the 2017 Warriors roster outside of Curry & Durant?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you equate the 2016 Thunder roster outside of Westbrook & Durant with the 2017 Warriors roster outside of Curry & Durant?

Clearly Golden State has the better roster -- but Curry won without Durant and Westbrook couldn't win with him. I mean, OKC had Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Sefolosha, Perkins, Collison -- which was a pretty nice roster. That roster is probably better than the Warriors' 2014-2015 roster of Curry, Green, Thompson, Barnes, Iguodala, Bogut, Livingston.

Granted, the question is about today -- but I don't see where Curry got worse -- he just has to share the ball more now.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats just silly.........The surrounding cast around Curry and Durant was so much better than the surrounding cast in OKC, its actually pretty laughable

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats just silly.........The surrounding cast around Curry and Durant was so much better than the surrounding cast in OKC, its actually pretty laughable

As mentioned above, how about 2014-2015 Warriors vs. 2011-2012 Thunder? Westbrook has had plenty of talent around him over the years and has never won anything.

I like Westbrook a lot -- I just don't think you can put him ahead of Curry.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

KD will never admit this publically, and he shouldn't.

But, I am completely convinced that he left OKC because he was frustrated with Westbrook's playing style, need to be the guy, and lack of understanding of situational basketball.

Westbrook has as much physical ability as any player in the league, including KD and LeBron, but he is lacking on the mental side. I just do not think it is possible to lead a championship team in today's NBA without complete command of the mental game. Russ just makes too many mistakes.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I Would take him over Westbrook and Harden every time. Just about every basketball person would agree. Curry might be the easiest star to play alongside since Magic and Bird. That aspect of his game cannot be overlooked.

Just ask KD who of the 3 he prefers to play with. It is a really easy answer.

The only reason someone might consider the other 2 would be if you had no other talent on the roster, and needed that player to do everything.

Harden definitely went down a few notches in my book after that awful series ending performance against the Spurs. It just really made me question his overall toughness in big games.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess its really how you are evaluating it

Do i think Curry is leading Houston to the success they had this season with Harden?

No i dont

No - but I also don't think that Curry is barely scoring any pts and looking totally disinterested in an important, playoff series ending game against a rival. I also don't think that Curry would be out partying the same night after such a disgraceful performance unlike Harden.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No - but I also don't think that Curry is barely scoring any pts and looking totally disinterested in an important, playoff series ending game against a rival. I also don't think that Curry would be out partying the same night after such a disgraceful performance unlike Harden.

Im with ya, that last game losing at home by 50 to San Antonio definitely puts a big black mark on Hardens' career...He's gonna have to do some amazing things to make us forget about that one

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's still under 30 and was forced to sacrifice his stats last season with the chucker in KD. He's still top 5 no doubt. Although I am concerned with his shot %'s dropping and thought they would improve last year with KD taking the pressure off him but they didn't. We will see what he does next year but I still believe he has a couple more elite top 5 years left in the tank. The Greek Freak and others are closing the gap.

I think most people have a top 5 that looks like this:
1.) LBJ
2.) Leonard
3.) KD
4.) Curry
5.) Westbrook

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.. Hes kind of a liability on defense, very undersized and soft and even though hes an all time great shooter, he makes STUPID decisions with his shot. Take him off a stacked team (where he isn't bailed out offensively and defensively) then we can measure it a little better.

I would take Lebron, KD, , Leonard, Westbrook, Harden any day over Curry. As they can just impact the game so much more than he can.

The tale of the tape with Curry is "when hes hot from 3 hes top 5, when hes not, No!!!"" If the 3 aint falling, thats where his stock drops.

Last edited:

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
James, Kawhi, Durant, Davis, Westbrook.....

That leaves 1 spot for Wall,Curry, Freak, Harden...

Without pause, I drop Harden.

Fuck that guy.

Freak, too soon. Needs more development.

Wall would be tempting.

But, I'd take Steph.

Short answer: Yes, he is.

DorianRo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry isn't better than Harden. ROFLMAO

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curry isn't better than Harden. ROFLMAO

He is MUCH better than Harden.

You knock Curry for his defense, well guess who is a worse defender than Curry?

You also consistently knock the Warriors for their high TO rate. Well, guess who just obliterated the single season NBA record for most TOs in a season?

Curry is a better defender, a more efficient offensive player and he does not dominate the ball like Harden does. It really isn't even a debate between the two. But, you would need to know something about basketball to understand that.