• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Russ being scapegoated this year?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I understand the criticisms of Payton so far. This is a team that hasn't had a winning season since 2016. What approach should he take with these guys? The team and its culture has to burn to the ground, in my opinion, and Payton seems to be trying to throw gas on it to speed it up.

Everything from the QB to the defense is wrong with this team right now. Although maybe I'm being too tough on them as it is only week 3.

We'll see if Payton is as good a coach as some think he is (I don't think he's had any real success outside Brees), but this team needs someone to smack it around right now. Payton seems like just the guy.

Maybe Payton should stop throwing everyone under the bus and STFU and actually coach. First he badmouthed Hackett, then Wilson, then the offensive line, then basically the owners (saying they spent time trying to win the offseason, well WTF else were they supposed to do?), now obviously the D.... sorry but I have a feeling the locker room is like, "Dude fuck this guy (regarding Payton)." Listening to Payton I think he brought a lot of negativity into the whole situation acting like his farts don't stink.

And I said it numerous times last year. I don't know why everyone expected the Broncos to be a Super Bowl contender with Wilson. Their OL wasn't that great (they suddenly surged in rankings the minute Wilson came in even though Wilson makes OLs bad), they lost the OL coach/the DC, some other key players. Sutton had ONE good season up to that point, Jeudy couldn't stay healthy.... I said before the Broncos would be lucky to get a wild card. Course I was just told I was a bitter Hawks fan lol. Whatever. I dunno why everyone expected this 12+ win Denver team last season, I sure as F didn't.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tobey maguire GIF

Me seeing all the moves the Broncos make backfire spectacularly.

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I understand the criticisms of Payton so far. This is a team that hasn't had a winning season since 2016. What approach should he take with these guys? The team and its culture has to burn to the ground, in my opinion, and Payton seems to be trying to throw gas on it to speed it up.

Everything from the QB to the defense is wrong with this team right now. Although maybe I'm being too tough on them as it is only week 3.

We'll see if Payton is as good a coach as some think he is (I don't think he's had any real success outside Brees), but this team needs someone to smack it around right now. Payton seems like just the guy.
Talking shit about other coaches wasn't gonna change the culture. 2nd half Wilson has been terrible just like last year, so no improvement there. And Denver's defense has regressed significantly it see
with Payton at the helm.

There were signs when Payton was with the Saints n during his time as a talking head that he was a dickheaded ass0. He's just confirming it this year. Maybe someone should smack him around.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talking shit about other coaches wasn't gonna change the culture. 2nd half Wilson has been terrible just like last year, so no improvement there. And Denver's defense has regressed significantly it see
with Payton at the helm.

There were signs when Payton was with the Saints n during his time as a talking head that he was a dickheaded ass0. He's just confirming it this year. Maybe someone should smack him around.
Denver hasn’t been good in a long time. I’m not sure why so many think Payton should be a nicer guy when he’s killing a culture. :noidea:

Breed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D hasn’t been good in a long time. I’m not sure why so many think Payton should be a nicer guy when he’s killing a culture. :noidea:
I don't think he has to be a nice guy necessarily. If reports are true n Russ is as big a diva as they claim. He probably needed a kick in the ass or 3. From my vantage point though. Payton seems more of an ass0 than tough guy or hard dude.

That said. Maybe it's what the Broncos need. I'm a Skins fan. I've seen how a shitty culture or toxic mindset can be as bad or worse for a team as anything else.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he has to be a nice guy necessarily. If reports are true n Russ is as big a diva as they claim. He probably needed a kick in the ass or 3. From my vantage point though. Payton seems more of an ass0 than tough guy or hard dude.

That said. Maybe it's what the Broncos need. I'm a Skins fan. I've seen how a shitty culture or toxic mindset can be as bad or worse for a team as anything else.
I never said “a nice guy”, I said a nicer guy.

Denver is known as a football city. They’ve sucked since 2016. They need a jerk to uproot everything in my opinion. It may not be Payton who turns them around, but someone needed to rattle some cages. He seems to be doing just that. We’ll see if it does any good.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fwiw, I never said Payton had to be nicer or that the losing culture didn't need changing. Hell, he can be a total doosh all he wants but Payton does have to be a standup guy and take some accountability when dealing with grown men, regardless of what those grown men are or aren't doing on the field. He loses all respect and credibility when he stands up and throws blame around to everybody else while never once saying "I need to do better as well". That has been my only stance on him. Frankly, I'm fine with the Donkeys continuing to be a shit show. I've hated them since the 80's. Keep up the shitty job Sean.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody could see it last year when various Hawks fans kept saying this, Wilson's tackles HATE playing for him, because he drops so fuckin' far back and breaks the pocket 24/7 while hanging onto the ball forever... Duane Brown was visibly screaming at him in 2021.

When you drop back 10+ yards it's a piece of cake for EDGE to blow by your tackles.... and then what does Wilson do instead of stepping up in the pocket? He rolls out breaking containment all together lol.

Well, he's tiny. What is his o-line expecting...

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson on the 2 yard line and can't get the conversion to tie the game ....yea, blame that on the defense.

Didn't Denver have a big lead in the 4th quarter that went "poof"?

Before that conversion play didn't Wilson heave a bomb for the TD?

Wasn't there an uncalled penalty on that conversion try?

Just shut the fuck up.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just shut the fuck up.
Terrible (but hilarious) throw

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just shut the fuck up.

....All aboard the excuse train. Now leaving No Accountability Station.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He even played exceptionally well in the 2nd half for the record

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other side of the coin is that his teammates would have more respect for him. If he is willing to take less, that means there is more money available on their team.

I don't think NFL players that came before him should have any bearing on what he accepts in a contract. If he can make a personal financial sacrifice to help acquire better players for the team, and help make the team more evenly compensated as a whole, then it seems that would be the best thing to do, no?

His wife was going to make more than him regardless. He could've played for free. Not exactly a situation other NFL players will find themselves in.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He even played exceptionally well in the 2nd half for the record

"vs the Bears" needs to be emphasized more.

8.4 yards/att allowed, 2nd worst in the league
70% completion allowed, 7th worst in the league
1071 passing yards allowed, 3rd worst in the league
10 passing TDs allowed, 2nd worst in the league
2 INTs, tied for 10th worst in the league
2 sacks, tied for worst in the league

To his credit, Wilson didn't fail against that ridiculously bad pass defense. Not going to give extra credit though...

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"vs the Bears" needs to be emphasized more.

8.4 yards/att allowed, 2nd worst in the league
70% completion allowed, 7th worst in the league
1071 passing yards allowed, 3rd worst in the league
10 passing TDs allowed, 2nd worst in the league
2 INTs, tied for 10th worst in the league
2 sacks, tied for worst in the league

To his credit, Wilson didn't fail against that ridiculously bad pass defense. Not going to give extra credit though...
Wow I didn’t realize all those years Mahomes, Brady, Manning, etc killed it didn’t actually count because they did it against bad teams.

Should they separate the stats going forward so you can see how QB’s do against the good teams vs the bad?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His wife was going to make more than him regardless. He could've played for free. Not exactly a situation other NFL players will find themselves in.
We are talking about Russ not other QB’s, right?

So Russ couldn’t play for free at this point in his career? I believe Russell’s net worth is north of $150 million. Seems like apples to apples to me when comparing him to Tom. :noidea:

(I’m not saying he should play for free, just comparing him to Tom)

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe Payton wants his team to break his own record for defensive futility. Even if you were to take out the 700+ yds by the Dolphins, they are currently on pace to break the Saints 2012 record for yds allowed of 7042 by almost 100 yds. This from a defense that was top 10 two years in a row and they still have to face Mahomes and Herbert twice and at Detroit and Buffalo. They allowed 471 yards and 28 points to a Bears team that was averaging 250 yds/ 15.7 pts per game. And on offense, they can't run the ball, Sutton is a fumble waiting to happen and honestly, he's an average #2 at best anyway. They have poor play across the board on offense and I'm not sure if Jeudy even helps that much if/ when he's healthy. Wilson will shoulder a lot of the blame due to his position, salary and what they gave up but they just are not a good team right now. And Payton was never the answer to all of their problems.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I didn’t realize all those years Mahomes, Brady, Manning, etc killed it didn’t actually count because they did it against bad teams.

Should they separate the stats going forward so you can see how QB’s do against the good teams vs the bad?

A game between possibly the 2 worst defenses in the league shouldn't be looked at as a benchmark of what to expect from any offensive players involved moving forward.

Did you expect Miami to keep scoring 70 ppg?

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A game between possibly the 2 worst defenses in the league shouldn't be looked at as a benchmark of what to expect from any offensive players involved moving forward.

Did you expect Miami to keep scoring 70 ppg?
If the Bears game was Russ’ only good game this year then you would have a point, but he’s been consistently one of the better performing QBs this year so far.

Last year it didn’t matter who they were playing or how bad the opponents defense was, Russ didn’t look nearly as good as he does this year.

No matter how you want to look at it or how sad you want to call it, so far this is the best Denver’s Offense has looked in 7 years.