• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Roger Goodell Good or Bad for the NFL?

JV35

El Chapo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an overpaid idiot. Bad for the league.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am a dumbfuck of the masses then. He handling of player and team discipline issues has been just appalling. He has done some business things well, and he managed the cba negotiation as well as could be expected, but I'm aware of numerous "pseudo" fans - the type the league is trying to grow with - who are so turned off by the clown show he has run that they won't watch the game any more. I don't know whether the owners are plugged into that dynamic or not. That's just what I see. But according to the OP, I'm just a dumb fuck, so who cares? I'd like to see him fired. I think he has severely harmed the integrity of the game, such as it is.
Roger Goodell isn't telling NFL players to hit their girlfriends, to joking say they have bombs in airports, to get DUI's, to whip their toddlers with switches; he isn't telling owners to pop pills, tweet offensive stuff, and get DUI's.

Instead he has to somehow punish them in a way that he will not violate the CBA, uphold the integrity of the game, and appease the fans. In most cases, its impossible to do all three.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I am a dumbfuck of the masses then. He handling of player and team discipline issues has been just appalling. He has done some business things well, and he managed the cba negotiation as well as could be expected, but I'm aware of numerous "pseudo" fans - the type the league is trying to grow with - who are so turned off by the clown show he has run that they won't watch the game any more. I don't know whether the owners are plugged into that dynamic or not. That's just what I see. But according to the OP, I'm just a dumb fuck, so who cares? I'd like to see him fired. I think he has severely harmed the integrity of the game, such as it is.

Yeah, those people are really tearing down the league.

NFL 2014 TV Recap: 202 Million Viewers, Game Viewership Nearly Triples Broadcast Primetime - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not an @rmilia type troll thread. I'm dead serious. I'm baffled by the outrage against Goodell and unless you can convince me otherwise, I'm going to stick my nose in the air and say it's the ignorance of the unwashed masses.

My gawd man, we've had posters on this board literally publicly calling for the murder of Roger Goodell. We assumed they were drunk and would back off the morning after when confronted but they stuck to it and said they wouldn't even feel bad for his family if he was murdered.

That's an extreme case but everywhere I go I see the same pattern of "hang the dude."

If Roger Goodell were bad for the NFL, why would owners with Robert Kraft leading the charge, give consensus support?

If revenue and future growth are the bottom line, then you tell me why this guy is a disaster."

I don't see it.

Well I can give that answer in 3 letters but I would rather use 10...
BAAAAAAAAD !!!!

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's an overpaid idiot. Bad for the league.
Any person in Goodells position would make the same amount of money so you can't say he is overpaid simply because that is the going rate for the Commissioner of the NFL. He is certainly not an idiot and being that the NFL is more popular than ever, I can't see why he is bad for the league.

Maybe you can break it down for us.

TxHeat

Hard Member!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
House Republican Conference Chairman Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Washington State is holding what she calls a “Power House Lunch” with more than 40 lawmakers on Capitol Hill next Tuesday, so they can hear leadership lessons from Goodell.

wow..you can't make this shit up!! :pound:

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my 2 cents on Goodell

The man thinks he is the only smart guy in the room. He has handled some player situations that were very tough in the worst possible way. Example Ray Rice gave him 2 games then the public outcry after the video came out he reversed course and suspended Rice indefinitely to appease the public. A leader would have said I understand your outcry and I wish I could do more but per the CBA rules in place this is what I have available to use as punishment. The heat that would have followed would have been intense but at least he would have shown leadership. Not simply swaying to the flavor of the day!

His biggest flaw is in how he hands out discipline arbitrarily. And he is influenced overly by the big city owners. Everybody's voice should be heard equally

Growing revenue is the result of some very smart minds on the Finance Committee not because of Roger Goodell.

Allowing Mara to penalize the Cowboys and Redskins over the uncapped season is another example of not showing leadership.

The list could go on and Goodell needs to go.

JHMO
This.

I'm not a big fan of him trying to put a team overseas. I feel like that wouldn't go over well with the players.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close enough to what I was going to say. Good for the owners and people making money off the league, bad for the fans and really not great for the players either.
That, unfortunately, is why he is in no danger of losing his job.