• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Nebraska's Problem They Don't Know How To WIn?

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the problem Nebraska does not know how to win?

Looking at Pelini's past teams I think perhaps they just don't know how to win. A swollen head syndrome perhaps?

Look at their history;

2008 - 2 big wins over K State and Kansas followed by a near loss to an anemic 5-6 Colorado.
Alex Henery saves the day with a 57 yard field goal with less then 2 minutes left to go.

2009 - A big comeback win over Missouri followed by pathetic showings against Texas Tech and Iowa State

2010 - Best OOC game is rout over Washington followed by near loss to South Dakata State
2010 - Blowout K State then fail to show up against a Texas team that ended up going 5-7.

2011 - Huge win over Michigan State followed by lackluster performance against Northwestern
2011 - Huge win over Penn State followed by debacle against Michigan

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, wanted to hear from a Husker fan on one play/call in the scUM game last weekend.

What did you think of that call by the refs at the start of the 4th quarter when scUM was punting and a Neb. player almost blocked the punt, and only barely touched hislower leg/ankle. In no way was this roughing the kicker, but nevertheless, scUM's 13th man on the field gave them a 15 yd. 1st down. The replay clearly showed it wasn't roughing the kicker, and the commentators even said so. And at this point, Neb. had some momentum was only down 31-17 and was about to get the ball back........

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So is it something the staff is doing or not doing? I know overconfidence is a killer but I can't believe this is not being addressed.

Or perhaps Pelini is treating them like pros and just expects them to keep an even keel.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, wanted to hear from a Husker fan on one play/call in the scUM game last weekend.

What did you think of that call by the refs at the start of the 4th quarter when scUM was punting and a Neb. player almost blocked the punt, and only barely touched hislower leg/ankle. In no way was this roughing the kicker, but nevertheless, scUM's 13th man on the field gave them a 15 yd. 1st down. The replay clearly showed it wasn't roughing the kicker, and the commentators even said so. And at this point, Neb. had some momentum was only down 31-17 and was about to get the ball back........

You can not touch the punter while he is in the act of kicking the ball. From the time his foot leaves the ground until both feet return to the ground there can be no contact.

He touched his plant foot which clearly would cause no harm but the intent of the rule is to prevent any contact and that is what happened.

You always try to block from an angle so that does not happen.

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes it seems like the coaches talk like they think the kids don't have emotions, and the process is all a part of a greater machine..

emotion needs to be addressed more, IMO

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That call killed any chance we had. We get the ball at midfield, quick score, boom. It's a one possession game. Maybe it changes the course of the game to where we don't have those turnovers also.

Who knows...

But that's the risk you run when your team just isn't THAT good.
Game could have been different.

Still... The offense wasn't showing any signs of life in the second half. Maybe they gave up after that call. I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the problem Nebraska does not know how to win?

Looking at Pelini's past teams I think perhaps they just don't know how to win. A swollen head syndrome perhaps?

Look at their history;

2008 - 2 big wins over K State and Kansas followed by a near loss to an anemic 5-6 Colorado.
Alex Henery saves the day with a 57 yard field goal with less then 2 minutes left to go.

2009 - A big comeback win over Missouri followed by pathetic showings against Texas Tech and Iowa State

2010 - Best OOC game is rout over Washington followed by near loss to South Dakata State
2010 - Blowout K State then fail to show up against a Texas team that ended up going 5-7.

2011 - Huge win over Michigan State followed by lackluster performance against Northwestern
2011 - Huge win over Penn State followed by debacle against Michigan

Gotta love Betty White.... Rep for that.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sometimes it seems like the coaches talk like they think the kids don't have emotions, and the process is all a part of a greater machine..

emotion needs to be addressed more, IMO

I think it appears so. It may not be anything but it has seemed to me for a while that these kids come off wins and lose. Someone who posted about not building off wins got me thinking.

The good thing is if this is the case coming off this last loss we should go out and kick Iowa's ass :D

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
or we could come out flat again, because we have no shot at a BCS game anymore..

I hope you're right :)

PIBuckeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can not touch the punter while he is in the act of kicking the ball. From the time his foot leaves the ground until both feet return to the ground there can be no contact.

He touched his plant foot which clearly would cause no harm but the intent of the rule is to prevent any contact and that is what happened.

You always try to block from an angle so that does not happen.

well, they don't call it all the time then. I've seen this level of touching the punter when it wasn't called.

IMHO, this was the turning point in the game. Huskers couldn't do anything after this call. Defense or offense.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, they don't call it all the time then. I've seen this level of touching the punter when it wasn't called.

IMHO, this was the turning point in the game. Huskers couldn't do anything after this call. Defense or offense.

I don't know about that but bottom line it was a good call. It was just one more thing that if it could go wrong it was going to go wrong.

Not everybody gets pulled over for speeding but that argument won't hold up in court either.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
P.S.

Also if his feet were back on the ground already it would not be called.

spdybeaver

Shat on a turtle...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
P.S.

Also if his feet were back on the ground already it would not be called.

If his feet were back on the ground already his fucking leg would have snapped in half. Richards was coming fast & directly at him. Dude was lucky to be in the air. His punting days woulda been over had he been on the ground.

:photo:

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If his feet were back on the ground already his fucking leg would have snapped in half. Richards was coming fast & directly at him. Dude was lucky to be in the air. His punting days woulda been over had he been on the ground.

:photo:

I forget what the rules call it but maybe something like tentative touches outside the kick.

Then something like Maher dropping the ball he is just another player.

During the kick though no contact can be made.

spdybeaver

Shat on a turtle...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't disagree with you or your interpretation, I am just saying if the dude had landed before Richards came flying in there he'd be the 1 legged man.

HuskerInSecLand

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't disagree at all.