• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it just me, or are kickers shittier than usual?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure what the numbers show so far this year, but 25% of the year isn't a small sample size.
It kinda is. There is a reason why extra points were moved back. Kickers got too good.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda is. There is a reason why extra points were moved back. Kickers got too good.
No it's not. 25% is a big sample size. That's what a SAMPLE size is!!!
I'm not sure how you are going from sample size to kickers being too good though:scratch:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it's not. 25% is a big sample size. That's what a SAMPLE size is!!!
I'm not sure how you are going from sample size to kickers being too good though:scratch:
Oh. Well in baseball a lot of statisticians actually say a regular season is a small sample size to decide which team is best. Its not a ridiculously small sample size but it would be hard to make an argument that kickers are worse based on a few weeks.

I think someone mentioned that the numbers were similar/slightly better than they were last year in the first few weeks earlier in the thread.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really the entire NFL season is a small sample size because the season is so short. And if a kicker attempts 30 field goals in a season, that's also a relatively small sample size.

The article I posted earlier talks a lot about this, and why it seems like kickers are a lot worse this year even though they really aren't, and why a kicker's field goal percentage might fluctuate quite a bit from year to year. If you find this topic interesting you should definitely read it.

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could it be the different rules or the different Extra Point distance?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh. Well in baseball a lot of statisticians actually say a regular season is a small sample size to decide which team is best. Its not a ridiculously small sample size but it would be hard to make an argument that kickers are worse based on a few weeks.

I think someone mentioned that the numbers were similar/slightly better than they were last year in the first few weeks earlier in the thread.
Maybe, I don't know anything about the numbers. My point was solely that we are 25% of the way through the season. So to say that isn't significant when using it to state that kickers are down this year compared to usual is off a little. That doesn't mean by the way that it won't pick up and end up higher. But I wonder if the %'s normally go down later in the year as the weather gets bad in some areas.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really the entire NFL season is a small sample size because the season is so short. And if a kicker attempts 30 field goals in a season, that's also a relatively small sample size.

The article I posted earlier talks a lot about this, and why it seems like kickers are a lot worse this year even though they really aren't, and why a kicker's field goal percentage might fluctuate quite a bit from year to year. If you find this topic interesting you should definitely read it.

What? Wasn't someone saying the % is down THIS YEAR? So how would this entire year be a small sample size to see if the %'s were down this year? I probably missed some of what was being discussed.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? Wasn't someone saying the % is down THIS YEAR? So how would this entire year be a small sample size to see if the %'s were down this year? I probably missed some of what was being discussed.
You did. I'm just saying that 30 kicks isn't a very large number, so even if that's how many an average kicker takes in a season, it's still a relatively small sample size. That's why you'll often see a kicker's field goal percentage vary quite a bit from year to year.

Really, just read the article I posted, it explains it a lot better.