• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it fair to say that Brad Stevens

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But aren't most of those guys that had huge recruiting advantages, that always had the most talent? Can't be said for Stevens and Butler.

True. They do.

But, because of the one and dones, the challenges are different. At the major colleges (especially these days) you get better talent, but not for as long because those players are gone after 1 or 2 seasons.

So those coaches have to manage NBA level egos and meet NBA level expectations as far as getting everyone on the same page, playing together and winning...and they have to do it in 1 or 2 seasons.

At the smaller colleges, the kids don't carry the egos of the 4 and 5 star players that the big schools get. Plus, they get 3-5 years to develop those players. Those players tend to be more coachable because they know they aren't at the level of the 4 and 5 star guys, but would like to get there.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't think Pop running into the Warriors is something that should be considered?

I think Stevens is a great coach. But I'm not putting him above Pop just yet. Having said that, I think it's only a matter of time before Stevens is considered the best coach in the NBA.

I think you also have to factor in his player development. He's gotten the most out of his talent and gotten guys who were considered fringe NBA players like Terry Rozier, Aron Baynes, etc to really become valuable players.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you also have to factor in his player development. He's gotten the most out of his talent and gotten guys who were considered fringe NBA players like Terry Rozier, Aron Baynes, etc to really become valuable players.

Oh, Stevens is good. He's at least in the convo with Pop. He's maximizing talent. But I need ring(s) as well. But Stevens looks like he's on that trajectory.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, Stevens is good. He's at least in the convo with Pop. He's maximizing talent. But I need ring(s) as well. But Stevens looks like he's on that trajectory.

Yeah, at this point, it's basically the difference between a guy who has had a lot of success over a 20 year head coaching career vs. a guy who has shown a lot of promise in his first 5 or so years (especially the last 2).

Stevens looks like he's going to meet or even exceed what Pop has accomplished....but until he's actually done it, I can't put him over Pop.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having 3 knee surgeries on one knee, especially for a guy that cuts as violently as Kyrie- would start to worry me.
It would worry you a lot less if he were still in Cleveland. Fact.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. They do.

But, because of the one and dones, the challenges are different. At the major colleges (especially these days) you get better talent, but not for as long because those players are gone after 1 or 2 seasons.

So those coaches have to manage NBA level egos and meet NBA level expectations as far as getting everyone on the same page, playing together and winning...and they have to do it in 1 or 2 seasons.

At the smaller colleges, the kids don't carry the egos of the 4 and 5 star players that the big schools get. Plus, they get 3-5 years to develop those players. Those players tend to be more coachable because they know they aren't at the level of the 4 and 5 star guys, but would like to get there.

This is why Villanova has killed it 2 of the last 3 years. Superior coaching and being able to develop talent for 3-5 years. In college basketball, give me a team of 3 stars whom are juniors and seniors over Kentucky's model. The latter wins seldom when you have a level-headed elite player that can lead your team to a title ala Anthony Davis.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, at this point, it's basically the difference between a guy who has had a lot of success over a 20 year head coaching career vs. a guy who has shown a lot of promise in his first 5 or so years (especially the last 2).

Stevens looks like he's going to meet or even exceed what Pop has accomplished....but until he's actually done it, I can't put him over Pop.

My line of thinking as well.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would worry you a lot less if he were still in Cleveland. Fact.

It's amazing. You never heard these concerns before from Wiggy. All of a sudden they're a problem. I wonder what's changed.....

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had an NBA team, had to hire a head coach and all current coaches in the NBA are available, who would you hire?

LOL @ the Miami fan talking about "need to win a title". Does that mean Marino sucked since he doesn't have a title???

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had an NBA team, had to hire a head coach and all current coaches in the NBA are available, who would you hire?

LOL @ the Miami fan talking about "need to win a title". Does that mean Marino sucked since he doesn't have a title???

Basketball and football are completely different. Basketball players have control on both sides of the ball. This is why Miami when they added Lebron were able to go from a fringe 1st round team to title contender in one year.

And feel free to quote me next time and not talk out the side of your neck like a pussy.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is a surprise that the better run teams seem to have the better coaches, the question is do those teams find better coaches? or do the coaches succeed because of the team they are on.

I tend to think it is the first one, because a well run team would have no interest in Thibs and his 1990's basketball philosophy,

My top 5 coaches
1. Pop
2. Stevens
3. Snyder
4. Carlisle
5. Spoelstra

Spoelstra has shown that he is a great coach, not just a product of James, Wade, and Boash

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's amazing. You never heard these concerns before from Wiggy. All of a sudden they're a problem. I wonder what's changed.....
before he left Cleveland he had 1 knee surgery...

now hes had 3 on the same knee and has missed the playoffs for the 2nd time in 4 years.

jontaejones

Hoopla Cash
$ 149.32
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it depends on the team.

Stevens is great for the Celtics because he's coaching a young team. A lot of those guys literally could still be in college right now.

For the Cavs, Stevens is not a good fit. You just need someone who is going to defer to LeBron. LeBron is probably smarter than most of the coaches in the NBA.

I think for the really great NBA teams, a guy like Phil Jackson is good. Keep the morale up and just keep the guys playing together.

Either way I would say coach means least in the NBA out of any pro sport.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say it depends on the team.

Stevens is great for the Celtics because he's coaching a young team. A lot of those guys literally could still be in college right now.

For the Cavs, Stevens is not a good fit. You just need someone who is going to defer to LeBron. LeBron is probably smarter than most of the coaches in the NBA.

I think for the really great NBA teams, a guy like Phil Jackson is good. Keep the morale up and just keep the guys playing together.

Either way I would say coach means least in the NBA out of any pro sport.
I think baseball matters even less.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win a title. Then get back to me.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ehhh a lot of strategy in baseball, managing a pen, putting runners in motion etc.....
Way more strategy in basketball and at a.faster pace: putting in a system, substitutions, designing plays...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For me, it depends. If I have a team of veteran players looking to win a title right now...I'm taking Pop.

If I have a team that is young enough to make a series of title runs, once they've developed a little more or for that matter, a team I'm trying to rebuild/develop...then I'm taking Stevens.

To be fair to the Miami fan, Marino was a great quarterback, but tends to get left out of or be on the periphery of "all time greatest quarterback" discussions because he never won a Super Bowl.

It's not really fair, because if he wins a Super Bowl or 2, he may very well be considered the best ever or at least in the top 2 or 3. It wasn't his fault that those Dolphins teams didn't really have good defenses or a running game, but it is what it is.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
before he left Cleveland he had 1 knee surgery...

now hes had 3 on the same knee and has missed the playoffs for the 2nd time in 4 years.
Honest question, if LeBron does leave are you still rooting for him or are you just a Cavs fan? @gordontrue is on record as a LeBron fan so he will probably switch allegiance.