• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it fair to say that Brad Stevens

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An honest question:

Has any NBA team in recent history done what the C´s are doing this season (assuming they close out Philly), that is:

Have playoff success without the services of the top 2 players on their roster?
prob not....theyve had some nice matchups though by having the #1 seed.

Miami was pretty weak, and the Sixers- while talented- are young and mistake prone.

Next series if they can push the Cavs will be a very good litmus test.

Would you bet on the Celtics vs. the Cavs? I have some extra v-cash laying around (or will soon) i could put to good use....

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you bet on the Celtics vs. the Cavs? I have some extra v-cash laying around (or will soon) i could put to good use....
Nah.

I don´t think the C´s can consistently stop LeBron... I think Cleveland would win in either 5 or 6.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Philly was up 3-1, no one would have created this thread. Before this series, I think most people thought the 6ers would win. (check the first page)

Most also felt that if the Celtics did win, Stevens would be a big part of the reason why.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now...Pop is better, but Stevens is closing the gap.

Having said that, if I'm deciding which one I want to hire....I'm taking Stevens (especially if I have a young team) because I'll have him for a lot longer than Pop.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

I don´t think the C´s can consistently stop LeBron... I think Cleveland would win in either 5 or 6.

I hope not. It would be great if the Celtics could do this to LeBron in the next round.

giphy.gif

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As of right now...Pop is better, but Stevens is closing the gap.

Having said that, if I'm deciding which one I want to hire....I'm taking Stevens (especially if I have a young team) because I'll have him for a lot longer than Pop.
done a 180 on stevens huh? :clap:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nah.

im going 6* (not 5- that was a typo)....C's are tough at home...Cleveland close it out at home in 6.....im hoping anyway

who knows man. the C's are a lot more like the Pacers than Toronto--- a lot of long, physical perimeter players like Smart, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Rozier etc...

TT is Al Horford Kryptonite though :) And Love matches up great vs. Baynes

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
done a 180 on stevens huh? :clap:

He's proven himself. 3 or so years ago, he was just a young inexperienced coach who hadn't even coached at a major college and hadn't proven a thing.

Unlike you, I understand that players and coaches can learn and improve.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's proven himself. 3 or so years ago, he was just a young inexperienced coach who hadn't even coached at a major college and hadn't proven a thing.

hey i gotcha...thats understandable

I just saw it before a lot of people apparently :) You could tell this guy was the real deal and the Celtics got a good one. I watched a lot of Byron Scott on the Cavs bench and knew right away that Stevens was the man.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey i gotcha...thats understandable

I just saw it before a lot of people apparently :) You could tell this guy was the real deal and the Celtics got a good one. I watched a lot of Byron Scott on the Cavs bench and knew right away that Stevens was the man.

You did.

The guy had potential, I never said he didn't, but we've seen better known coaches who had success at major colleges come to the NBA and be epic fails.

Imo, Byron is a classic example of the difference between a good coach and a great coach.

A good coach can win when he has players that fit his system and coaching style, but won't/can't change his system/style to fit his players.

A great coach changes his system/style to fit his players.

That's why a guy like Pop is still coaching and Byron isn't.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have to say that I was impressed when we came within a couple of inches of winning the NCAA Championship. (proved something to me)

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't know the toll Pops domestic tragedy has taken on him this year.

So, I give him the benefit of the doubt.

Pop might be the best All-time. But, Brad has been the best the last 2 Seasons.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to say that I was impressed when we came within a couple of inches of winning the NCAA Championship. (proved something to me)

Agree. That was pretty impressive, not to mention a helluva a lot of fun to watch. But the difference between the NBA and college is huuuuge and there have been quite a few coaches with more sustained success that jumped to the NBA and couldn't succeed.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You did.

The guy had potential, I never said he didn't, but we've seen better known coaches who had success at major colleges come to the NBA and be epic fails.

Imo, Byron is a classic example of the difference between a good coach and a great coach.

A good coach can win when he has players that fit his system and coaching style, but won't/can't change his system/style to fit his players.

A great coach changes his system/style to fit his players.

That's why a guy like Pop is still coaching and Byron isn't.
@trojanfan12 , having said that how do you feel about Phil Jackson? He insisted on coaching the triangle and only had success when he had players that fit it perfectly. Most view him as a great coach, but he certainly doesn't fit your description here.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. That was pretty impressive, not to mention a helluva a lot of fun to watch. But the difference between the NBA and college is huuuuge and there have been quite a few coaches with more sustained success that jumped to the NBA and couldn't succeed.
But aren't most of those guys that had huge recruiting advantages, that always had the most talent? Can't be said for Stevens and Butler.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im going 6* (not 5- that was a typo)....C's are tough at home...Cleveland close it out at home in 6.....im hoping anyway

who knows man. the C's are a lot more like the Pacers than Toronto--- a lot of long, physical perimeter players like Smart, Tatum, Brown, Morris, Rozier etc...

TT is Al Horford Kryptonite though :) And Love matches up great vs. Baynes
If Kyrie were healthy who would you pick? I'd probably go Celtics in 7 then

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@trojanfan12 , having said that how do you feel about Phil Jackson? He insisted on coaching the triangle and only had success when he had players that fit it perfectly. Most view him as a great coach, but he certainly doesn't fit your description here.

It's the difference between Phil the coach and Phil the GM, imo.

I was never that impressed with Phil's X's and O's. Tex Winter was actually the "mastermind" behind the triangle. However...

Imo, what made Phil a great coach was his ability to manage ego's and get guys to buy into his system. Because of that, it was never necessary to change it. He also was really good at letting his great players be great rather than trying to micromanage every game.

As a GM, he kept insisting that they use the triangle but wasn't considering the fact that he wasn't there everyday getting the players to buy in and he didn't have Tex Winter there to teach it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Kyrie were healthy who would you pick? I'd probably go Celtics in 7 then
still Cavs......Kyrie is amazing but Rozier is not playing bad and they lose defense with Kyrie out there.

And i mean- King James.
  1. DcpOducW0AApvye.jpg

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol

Beating the Sixers 3-1 really impresses some people.

I'm not one of those people.