• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is it fair to say that Brad Stevens

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
someone once told me Byron Scott was a better coach then Brad Stevens....

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arguing against Pop being a great coach is asinine. Then again, arguing that an NBA coach was/is only great because of the players that they coached is just as dumb.

Pop is a fine coach.

but try to argue the warriors effect when the only reason he's still in SA is because of a tankapalooza that would make Sam Hinkie blush and he's won nothing without duncan is just intellectually dishonest.

You can't argue one without the other.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop and Brad are both great coaches. Splitting hairs here.
I'd choose Brad.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop lost in round 1 without his best player.

Stevens is 1 win from the ECF without his 2 best players.

Kerr has to be in the convo as well. He won his titles way faster than Pop did.

Well shit by this logic Ty Lue is best of all, he won a title in less than a year of coaching!

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pop is a fine coach.

but try to argue the warriors effect when the only reason he's still in SA is because of a tankapalooza that would make Sam Hinkie blush and he's won nothing without duncan is just intellectually dishonest.

You can't argue one without the other.

Popovich took over for Bob Hill the year the Spurs won 20 games and got the number 1 pick. They fired Hill because he started the season 3-15. To blame Pop for the tanking is just bizarre.

Saying that he's won nothing with Duncan while ignoring the fact that of his 21 years as head coach with the Spurs only 3 of them did not have Duncan on them, is ridiculous bordering on deceitful.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now, I would probably choose Stevens if I was picking a coach today for my franchise, since Pop is 69 years old and close to done. But if you are asking me who I would choose to coach one season, I would still choose Pop.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stevens has proven himself as one of the best coaches in the league.

But I'm of the mindset that you need to show much more longevity and overall success before we can talk about best coach in the league. I'd still rank Pop and Carlisle higher.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stevens has proven himself as one of the best coaches in the league.
But I'm of the mindset that you need to show much more longevity and overall success before we can talk about best coach in the league. I'd still rank Pop and Carlisle higher.

If Philly was up 3-1, no one would have created this thread. Before this series, I think most people thought the 6ers would win. (check the first page)

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Philly was up 3-1, no one would have created this thread. Before this series, I think most people thought the 6ers would win. (check the first page)

Maybe maybe not. Stevens has been getting a lot of love for a while now.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Stevens is a great coach. My biggest questions about him are:

1. Will he ever win a championship?

2. Is he able to handle and manage superstars?

If the answer to the first question is yes, the second one doesn’t matter. On the other hand...At some point, Kyrie or some other star player may start causing issues, especially if they end up not winning a title. At that point, how does he handle the situation? It doesn’t really come up in college, especially not at Butler. And it hasn’t really come up in his time with the Celtics. But they’ve got a handful of current and future stars. Managing all those personalities can become a challenge. So far, so good. We’ll see if that ever changes.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at Pop without duncan. The facts speak for themselves.

The held robinson out to tank.

yes the GM made a great deal for kawhi and they took advantage twice in the last 15 years of a projected lottery pick at PG who well late into the draft on draft night (Parker in 01, Murray in 2016).

But lets see what Pop does without duncan.

I'm right on this. If you can't handle it and need to try and make yourself feel better, that's your problem.

You're right on this? Who made you Pope of this dump?:D In all seriousness though you proclaim yourself right on this simply because some people don't agree w/ you. And what has Pop done w/o Duncan? Well he guided the Spurs to 61 W's 2 years ago & won 47 games this year. And keep in mind that S.A. plays in the WC which is the better conference. Hell the Nuggets didn't make the playoffs but if they were in the EC they would have had the 6 seed.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

He's probably the GOAT. :dhd:

I love the kool aid that gets drank in here

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
very true

also- as good as I think Stevens is- the guy really hasnt won shit yet...lets wait till he wins something before we crown him best in the league.

I think Pop and Carlisle are the best coaches in the league

after that id have a 2nd tier with guys like Stevens, Budenholzer, Snyder, and a couple others maybe.

I think whoever signs Budenholzer will be really happy about it. I am surprised Atlanta is getting rid of him.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe maybe not. Stevens has been getting a lot of love for a while now.

If Philly beat Boston in this series -- you really think there would be a bunch of posts saying that Brad Stevens is the best coach in the NBA ?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Stevens is a great coach. My biggest questions about him are:

1. Will he ever win a championship?

2. Is he able to handle and manage superstars?

If the answer to the first question is yes, the second one doesn’t matter. On the other hand...At some point, Kyrie or some other star player may start causing issues, especially if they end up not winning a title. At that point, how does he handle the situation? It doesn’t really come up in college, especially not at Butler. And it hasn’t really come up in his time with the Celtics. But they’ve got a handful of current and future stars. Managing all those personalities can become a challenge. So far, so good. We’ll see if that ever changes.
If Kyrie has further injury issues it might get interesting with him and Rozier. Kyrie is unrestricted FA next summer. Rozier is restricted.

Might be an interesting debate there.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An honest question:

Has any NBA team in recent history done what the C´s are doing this season (assuming they close out Philly), that is:

Have playoff success without the services of the top 2 players on their roster?

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Philly beat Boston in this series -- you really think there would be a bunch of posts saying that Brad Stevens is the best coach in the NBA ?

Yes. And as I said there's no way to determine 'best'. All you can say is there are a few elite coaches. Stevens is one.

msgkings322

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The elites IMO are Pop, Stevens, Carlisle, maybe Spoelstra. Kerr needs to show what he can do without an all-time loaded team. Need a bit more resume from Snyder but he's probably there too.

Oh and Hornacek, forgot him right @Pastafazul ?