• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Houston the only team left that realistically can't win the Super Bowl?

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I'd rank the remaining team's chances of winning the Super Bowl, from least likely to most likely.

Texans - virtually no chance.
Chiefs - the Steelers are just a terrible match-up for them.
Falcons - their defense is going to stop them at some point
Cowboys - they could do it, and having home field throughout will help, but until someone with rookies at qb and rb actually wins the Super Bowl, I wouldn't bet on it. Still, if there's a team that could make it happen, this is the team I think to do it.
Seahawks - seemed to have figured it out on Saturday, and they've got the experience. Bonus: if the Packers knock off the Cowboys (which I think they will), they'll get the NFC Championship at home.
Steelers - If there is a team that can go to New England and knock off the Patriots, this is the team
Packers - no one is playing better than Rodgers right now. The way he shredded the Giants defense (mostly without Jordy Nelson) was very impressive.
Patriots - they've been the best team in the NFL since Brady came back, they have a great coach, a great defense, a great qb, home field advantage, and the easiest second round match-up.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree that you can make a case, however long, for any team to win the Super Bowl... Except Houston.

Them winning the SB would make the 1980 US hockey team beating the Russians look ordinary.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big difference there is that Denver was home up to the Super Bowl, Houston will have to do it on the road. Denver also got to play a Steelers team minus Bell and Brown, and with a really banged up Roethlisberger.

I'm aware. I don't think the Texans will win - or even make a game of it - this weekend, but Denver and Von Miller proved last year that a hot defense can repeatedly find ways to make up for offensive deficiencies. I'm not counting out Houston.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm aware. I don't think the Texans will win - or even make a game of it - this weekend, but Denver and Von Miller proved last year that a hot defense can repeatedly find ways to make up for offensive deficiencies. I'm not counting out Houston.

This Houston defense is nowhere near the level of last year's Broncos defense. If they were, I'd agree with you.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's always a first for something.

True. In the 90's I remember hearing " no one who wins the NFL rushing title has ever won the SB" or something very similar to that. Then 22 did it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. In the 90's I remember hearing " no one who wins the NFL rushing title has ever won the SB" or something very similar to that. Then 22 did it.

It's was a heck of an accomplishment. Your 90's teams were flat out nasty.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year:
DEN 23-16 over PIT
DEN 20-18 over NE
DEN 24-10 over CAR

DEN won with elite defense and quarterback ineptitude each time. HOU has the best D in the league right now and JJ might even be back very soon. On paper, NE is going to easily torch HOU, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Clowney can be this year's Von Miller. I'm not counting out Houston either.

Yeah, no.

New England is #1 def currently in points allowed, which is the correct measuring stick.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, no.

New England is #1 def currently in points allowed, which is the correct measuring stick.
Playing backup QBs all year.

There really isnt an elite D this year. Houston and New England both have good defenses but I'll take the team that has a real offense and an elite coach.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing backup QBs all year.

There really isnt an elite D this year. Houston and New England both have good defenses but I'll take the team that has a real offense and an elite coach.

Never suggested they were elite, but they are the #1 D in the NFL.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Houston beat the Patriots, I don't think anyone could really count them out, but whoever then beats the Texans would be talked about as if there was an asterisk by their name. I think the Patriots *could* be beat eventually in the playoffs, but if it happened this week, the eventual AFC Champion would be treated like a default.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Pats offense is not the team that lost in Denver last year either. The O line can scarcely be compared.

Thing is, every now and again the Pats flat-out lay an egg. On any given week if that happens, they can go down.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never underestimate a team with a great defense.

Except this week.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,955.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Pats offense is not the team that lost in Denver last year either. The O line can scarcely be compared.
A fairly important distinction because usually you can only beat the Patriots in the playoffs if you can move Brady off his spot. Brady with a clean pocket is game over for 99% of teams.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only reason I give the Texans even a small chance for the upset is that of the Coordinators being distracted by interviews and the possibility of being a HC. We have seen that happen in the past where teams come out flat and unprepared because of that. Still I expect the Patriots to walk away with this one but something to keep an eye on.

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thing is, every now and again the Pats flat-out lay an egg. On any given week if that happens, they can go down.

And then there's the weapons.

AFCC game against Denver:

Gronk, Edelman, Amendola, White, Martin, Bolden, S. Jackson

Now:

Bennett, Edelman, Amendola, Hogan, Mitchell, Floyd, White, Lewis, Blount

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pats always have a problem in Denver and freelancing Jamie Collins gave up 2 blown 2tds to Owen Daniels. and Miller's int of Brady was huge