• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Hockey One Of The Four Major Sports In North America?

Spiny Norman

Not Quite Dead
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN is bitter over losing the nhl contract and the contracts of the nhl posters. Debbie has a point they are more interested in pushing the sports they carry "soccer" etc. give it enough time and they will be plugging poker, scrabble or the spelling bee in as a top 4 sport. It's not about quality with them it's nothing but marketing. The real question they should be asking is if Espn is one of the top 4 sports networks anymore the quality if their programming has dropped quite a bit from competition shows to become a Espn commentator to to reality shows portraying playing a video fame about a sport to relying on a bunch of former players as analysts who rely on their past popularity and catch phrases to cover sports rather than journalism and reporting skills you should be using. I lost all respect for Espn as a source for sports

agree 100%

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it ESPN that's behind the myth that MLS is insanely popular in the US? They tried to feed us that bullshit during the World Cup. I don't know anyone who was paying attention. If it hadn't been for one player biting another one, the whole thing might have passed unnoticed.

MLS has its fanbase, but yes ESPN is trying to overhype it. Because they have it. Plain and simple. Their over selling is actually contributing to the "Is hockey as popular now" discussions because they oversold how popular it was then. Hockey is better off, more stable and seemingly more popular now than it was 10 years ago IMO. Granted, my view might be slanted because I moved from a place that lost an AHL team to a place that ONLY Has an NHL team (and an MLS team) and now have two kids playing so it seems more prevalent to me.

ESPN is bitter over losing the nhl contract and the contracts of the nhl posters. Debbie has a point they are more interested in pushing the sports they carry "soccer" etc. give it enough time and they will be plugging poker, scrabble or the spelling bee in as a top 4 sport. It's not about quality with them it's nothing but marketing. The real question they should be asking is if Espn is one of the top 4 sports networks anymore the quality if their programming has dropped quite a bit from competition shows to become a Espn commentator to to reality shows portraying playing a video fame about a sport to relying on a bunch of former players as analysts who rely on their past popularity and catch phrases to cover sports rather than journalism and reporting skills you should be using. I lost all respect for Espn as a source for sports

This is true, they contacted my agent trying to get me a nice package to stay on and post on the Cross Fit challenge boards. They even tried to get me to start a "Annie Thorisdottir cured my leprosy" thread.

I turned it down because the signing bonus (fruit basket) I got here was bigger.

The goalie question has been answered he has 3 cups and almost every record there is lol

:thumb:

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like football, hockey really benefits from big-screen digital TV. Watching it on an old CRT was impossible. The screen aspect was wrong, and there was simply too much white for the cameras. So, as more and more big TVs take over, more people will discover that hockey can be watched and enjoyed at home now.

As for NASCAR, I would contend that it is not a sport in the same way that hockey or football is a sport. Skill, yes, physically demanding, yes, but not a sport. It's my opinion, and you're entitled to yours.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are only 4 major sports for any Canadian
NHL
AHL
OHL (or their junior circuit)
Your kids hockey league

humm....you should add lacrosse in there somewhere. US is handing out scholies left and right to Canuckistan kids

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this too. It's not that I'm rooting for hockey to "NOT" become the most popular sport, it's just that I'm sick and tired of Buttman and the idiot GM's continuous efforts to change the game or specific rules to appeal to people who don't understand the sport anyway.

I used to enjoy the NFL more in years past. Once this whole fantasy thing came about, the idiot box exploded with bobbleheads, talk shows and a plethora of "so-called experts" who wont shut the fuck up!!!

You get ButtGoblin and I will take out Pierre. Deal?

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
humm....you should add lacrosse in there somewhere. US is handing out scholies left and right to Canuckistan kids

Canada upset the US in the recent World Lacrosse Championships - I checked with DerringerEagle though and it's only because they received excellent coaching from American coaches.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Canada upset the US in the recent World Lacrosse Championships - I checked with DerringerEagle though and it's only because they received excellent coaching from American coaches.

Yup I saw that, and watched most of the tournament (or what the broadcast network CHOSE as the games to televise). Shamful the Iroquios nation or Haundanashawnee (sp?) didnt have the depth that Canada and the US had. Thompsons lit it up. Shame Grant couldnt play....

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLS has its fanbase, but yes ESPN is trying to overhype it. Because they have it. Plain and simple. Their over selling is actually contributing to the "Is hockey as popular now" discussions because they oversold how popular it was then. Hockey is better off, more stable and seemingly more popular now than it was 10 years ago IMO. Granted, my view might be slanted because I moved from a place that lost an AHL team to a place that ONLY Has an NHL team (and an MLS team) and now have two kids playing so it seems more prevalent to me.

This is true, they contacted my agent trying to get me a nice package to stay on and post on the Cross Fit challenge boards. They even tried to get me to start a "Annie Thorisdottir cured my leprosy" thread.

I turned it down because the signing bonus (fruit basket) I got here was bigger.

:thumb:
The no trade clauses for being able to lift 100 lbs over your head were a nice touch as well

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To be fair I heard canada weld themselves to the world lacrosse championship

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lacrosse is becoming more popular in middle school and high school here. A lacrosse stick is now a fashion statement on the street, too. The soccer and baseball Nazis are running scared, because some of the better athletes are choosing the faster, more exciting game.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacrosse is becoming more popular in middle school and high school here. A lacrosse stick is now a fashion statement on the street, too. The soccer and baseball Nazis are running scared, because some of the better athletes are choosing the faster, more exciting game.

Still have my wooden sticks from late 70's and early 80's that our junior team won Canadian championship with.

Son who teaches,brought my goalie stick for a show and tell,and most kids thought it was used for fishing.lol

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:lol:

Popular as hell with me,espescially since our junior team here,(Windsor Warlocks-now called Clippers) have had great success over the years.

Abe Vigoda

Formerly NYR
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

Popular as hell with me,espescially since our junior team here,(Windsor Warlocks-now called Clippers) have had great success over the years.

Fuckin' love it!

I am told on a regular basis "Go Back to Canada!!!!" and other harsh terms.
Only two sports I played growing up on Strong Island
Only two sports I watch anymore
Only two sports my kids play; with the exception of my daughter....she figure skates as well.

US News did a story awhile back; in summary that gave a year something like 2025 or so that lacrosse would displace baseball and soccer as the national youth sport

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuckin' love it!

I am told on a regular basis "Go Back to Canada!!!!" and other harsh terms.
Only two sports I played growing up on Strong Island
Only two sports I watch anymore
Only two sports my kids play; with the exception of my daughter....she figure skates as well.

US News did a story awhile back; in summary that gave a year something like 2025 or so that lacrosse would displace baseball and soccer as the national youth sport

You still in LI I'm right next door grew up arguing with rags fans now it's isles fans

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The no trade clauses for being able to lift 100 lbs over your head were a nice touch as well

I am a goalie. I can't lift 100lbs over my head. You need to be as strong as a horse to do that. I essentially just stand around and talk to the goal posts because they are my friends.

My NTC stands for "No T-shirt Capice" (or however the hell it's spelled)?