• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is he Werth it?

smokeyburgess

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners signed Jayson Werth to a minor league contract today. I think he's worth a shot, especially if the Mariners contend and need an experienced bat off the bench late in the season. But at this stage in his career he could be just another Michael Morse. :thumb:

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mariners signed Jayson Werth to a minor league contract today. I think he's worth a shot, especially if the Mariners contend and need an experienced bat off the bench late in the season. But at this stage in his career he could be just another Michael Morse. :thumb:
Or a Ichiro Suzuki :lol:

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could've just signed Jarrod Dyson instead of Ichiro and Werth. What a joke.

Mariners will now have 2 of the oldest position players in baseball on their team. Might as well add Bartolo Colon while we're at it.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a nothing move just depth

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Mariners will now have 2 of the oldest position players in baseball on their team. Might as well add Bartolo Colon while we're at it.

Yea but that's not as fun or profitable.

In all seriousness tho I like adding Werth a lot more then Ichiro. But given what I've posted about Ichiro that's not saying much

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea but that's not as fun or profitable.

In all seriousness tho I like adding Werth a lot more then Ichiro. But given what I've posted about Ichiro that's not saying much

They're both pretty irrelevant replacement level players at this point in their respective careers. At the very minimum Jarrod Dyson would've been a fantastic 4th outfielder/pinch runner for us. Can't say the same for Ichiro or Werth(less).

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first choice would have been Melky Cabrera. I would take him on a one year deal.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No idea why they didn't just resign Dyson. I know you were his biggest advocate but his role is still not filled on this team.

I like Gordon but, to me, it would've been better to resign Dyson then pay for a starter instead of adding Gordon's contract.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dumb. His production went down once he left the Phillies.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why they didn't just resign Dyson. I know you were his biggest advocate but his role is still not filled on this team.

I like Gordon but, to me, it would've been better to resign Dyson then pay for a starter instead of adding Gordon's contract.

Obviously I loved Dyson. My opinion was that eventually Ben Gamel would get benched and we'd need a replacement. I figured Dyson could be a fourth outfielder and a pinch runner until he took over Gamel's spot. It appears that Gordon is doing well in centerfield, but the idea of #9 Dyson and #1 Gordon in the lineup and patrolling the outfield really excited me.

Even if I am wrong about Gamel, I'd be willing to pay Dyson the money Arizona did as a rotational player. Guy is still one of the fastest players in baseball and plays a damn good centerfield.

I don't mind the Gordon trade, but I agree that I'd rather have Dyson and Lance Lynn over Gordon and Ichiro.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Obviously I loved Dyson. My opinion was that eventually Ben Gamel would get benched and we'd need a replacement. I figured Dyson could be a fourth outfielder and a pinch runner until he took over Gamel's spot. It appears that Gordon is doing well in centerfield, but the idea of #9 Dyson and #1 Gordon in the lineup and patrolling the outfield really excited me.

Even if I am wrong about Gamel, I'd be willing to pay Dyson the money Arizona did as a rotational player. Guy is still one of the fastest players in baseball and plays a damn good centerfield.

I don't mind the Gordon trade, but I agree that I'd rather have Dyson and Lance Lynn over Gordon and Ichiro.

Well that and if they signed Dyson they wouldn't have signed Ichiro causing the firestorm that they got for it. Dyson is the exact kind of guy a team like this needs, a 1 year cheap vet who is serviceable, who can spark late game rallies and can be an every day starter in desperate times. Neither Ichiro or Werth should every start more than 2 games a week.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think much of it to be honest. It feels like a depth move or a just in case kinda thing. I don't see this being much in the long run.

MarinersBestFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dyson signed with AZ at $7.5mil over 2 years

He was only paid $2.8mil that 1 yr for the Mariners

The Ms simply did not want to lay out the money needed to keep him as a Mariner

Another example how all the Cano / Felix money is hurting the clubs chances of success

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The M's are doing a great job of signing senior citizens to the club. I've pretty much stopped trying to figure out the "whys" from the front office. It's either a schizophrenic mentality or an obsessive/compulsive disorder. I have heard there are medications available to help control that though. Not sure which meds would work the best considering who (or what) we're talking about.:noidea: