• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Harbaugh working the team too hard this early

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Harbaugh as a head coach but I am wondering if he is working the team too hard too early. A lot of injuries so far and I worry that the 49ers might burn out too soon before it counts in the playoffs. One of the things I respected about Bill Walsh was keeping his team fresh all season. Walsh was one of the first coaches to let players practice in shorts and no pads to keep the team fresh and it paid off in the playoffs. Walsh recognized that players wear down and rest is needed.

I know it's training camp and players need a little work especially the young guys but you don't want your team hurting going into season especially with a chance at winning it all. This year could just be a fluke with all these injuries but it has me thinking. Time will tell I guess but the team needs to heal up fast to be ready for the battles ahead.

Go 49ers !!

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can't offer proof otherwise, but IMO highly doubt it? injuries are just one of those things that occur even during "light" practice. Culliver's injury didn't seem to occur via hard practice? wasn't Willis' via a drill?

that said, teams DO have to practice so you can't remove it either. here is a little tidbit from an interview with Nick Moody.

TRAINING CAMP GRIND

I wouldn’t say it’s like college. In college you think it’s the hardest thing to do, but here, it’s not so much physically demanding, it’s more mentally demanding. All the meeting times and the amount of focus it takes, it really is a big difference.

again, not proof otherwise, but it seems to suggest if they spend so much time teaching/learning. they can't be going too hard physically?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh knows what he's doing.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too hard? You're thinking of Singletary & his "Nutcracker" drills.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Walsh had two a days and this new CBA makes training camps of old look like a day at the spa. Walsh had infinitely tougher than they are now.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trust in your coach. After Belichick I would rather have either Harbaugh than anyone in the league.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Which Harbaugh are you talking about? The Ravens have lost their top 2 TEs.

In terms of training camp, what injuries can be chalked up to workload? Really it's just the hamstring tweaks with the WRs. Crabtree's injury was at OTAs, where how hard they work is strictly regulated.

ACL injuries aren't linked to workload. Willis banged his finger on a helmet to break it. J Smith has a finger injury. . .

It's tough to blame workload for non-muscle injuries.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Jim's intensity he brings to everything may seem to either look like they are working too much or that his attitude would be more intense in physical workouts. I know time is regulated, so that's not a problem, and intensity is probably more mental anyway.

xJuicex

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's no Mike Singletary.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, a lot of teams are getting injuries. Its part of football.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the SF 49ers have been pretty blessed and fortunate with the "injury bug" for the last two years....

it was going to catch up but we're not devastated yet.

we'll be fine as a team.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
can't offer proof otherwise, but IMO highly doubt it? injuries are just one of those things that occur even during "light" practice. Culliver's injury didn't seem to occur via hard practice? wasn't Willis' via a drill?

that said, teams DO have to practice so you can't remove it either. here is a little tidbit from an interview with Nick Moody.

TRAINING CAMP GRIND

I wouldn’t say it’s like college. In college you think it’s the hardest thing to do, but here, it’s not so much physically demanding, it’s more mentally demanding. All the meeting times and the amount of focus it takes, it really is a big difference.

again, not proof otherwise, but it seems to suggest if they spend so much time teaching/learning. they can't be going too hard physically?

Not sure how you came up with that conclusion, but it's their job. Their career. As such why can't they do both (physical/mental) equally just as much...? In college, they have to go to class and try to keep their GPA above a 2.1. In the pros, the classroom is still classroom, but it's all about football as opposed to Phys. Ed, cooking, marketing, math, social sciences, etc.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not sure how you came up with that conclusion, but it's their job. Their career. As such why can't they do both (physical/mental) equally just as much...? In college, they have to go to class and try to keep their GPA above a 2.1. In the pros, the classroom is still classroom, but it's all about football as opposed to Phys. Ed, cooking, marketing, math, social sciences, etc.

so you're saying they do both 50/50? half the time they're in classroom, and half the time they're practicing physically hard? they're practicing hard like when Singletary was Coach, ie you're saying Harbaugh practice hard just like Singletary?

the OP is asking if practices go too hard physically, he isn't just asking if they practice.

I didn't say they can't do both, did say - try to say - they likely aren't practicing HARD all the time.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
With the new CBA I dare say high schools practices are more grueling physically so I don't think they are going too hard at all.

Injuries happen and the only way to prevent them is keeping guys in a bubble and not letting them out until game time.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

btw Bingo, is the following making a conclusion?