• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Inagurial Free Agency Thread

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
okay, since i'm depressed but too obsessed to stop talking puck, i'm pretending that no one actually won the cup this year (ignorance is bliss people) and moving on to the post season. obviously it's tough for those of you whose 'imaginary' teams are still in it to put in your input, but the thread will hopefully still be around n'at. SOOOO, what action do you want your team to make? put on your GM pants and spit ball here.

PENS

needs? shutdown dman and at least one replacement winger

ufa's? cooke is the only one i'd resign. billy g maybe if he takes a big pay cut. there's some young talent that may be ready to move in.

rfa's? i think there's a couple up for contract (lovejoy, johnson, etc.) and i think only one or two are ready for the two way contracts. lovejoy is NHL ready in my opinion.

the centers are solid, but our wingers are going to be torn apart once again. feds is gone, poni is gone, cooke should stay, billy g SHOULD retire (probably won't) leaving some gaps. the D is interesting. i think gonch should go and one of eaton or leopold should stay. replace 2 with lovejoy and a FA. goalies are fine. Beej is signed another year.

so the pens don't have much money to hand out and really need 2 solid FA's. a winger (a few wouldn't look too shabby) and a shutdown Dman (hamuis or volchenkov anyone? too pricey i suppose...)

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep your grubby mitts of Volchenkov, YOU HEAR ME?!?!?

Sens:
Need:
What don't they need? Two old but talented forwards who have suffered major injuries this year may or may not need to be replaced. The drop off after the second line is BIG (Although when everyone else is healthy Cullen closes this gap a bit). They have too many agitators and no real hardcore gritty forward. And their #1 Center hasn't come close to living up to his potential. Other than that, they are just perfect.

Want:
- A winger who can play in any situation on the first or second line interchangeably. Maybe two if Kovy hangs 'em up.
- A mentor for Spezza. If this was Marleau, I would wet my pants. I can dream, dammit.
- Jarkko Ruutu gone.
- Mike Grier to play with Regin and Foligno. I know. Buffalo signed him. I'm hoping the Sabre Franchise folds and there's a dispersal draft.

Defense:
They don't need a lot unless they fail to sign Volchenkov. They have some young puck movers and if AV stays, they have a premier shut down tandem. If he leaves, the movers get shuffled and before you know it, Matt Carkner is on the ice regularly and you're giving up 50 shots a night.

Goaltending:
If they can keep Pascal LeClaire wrapped in bubble wrap and stored in a climate controlled room until March, they'll be okay.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
Canucks:

needs: Something to get beyond round 2. A playoff warrior that will help move the regular season success into the postseason. The team went from awesome to horrible at home when the heat got turned up.
Our defense was way too thin in the playoffs, which ironic considering we had about 13 d-men under contract.
Luongo wasn't good enough

UFAs:
Willie Mitchell: His career may be over due to that dirty hit from Malkin in January. Mitchell was sorely missed down the stretch and in the playoffs. 5 on 5 and especially the PK suffered because of it. IF he is healty, will he jump for a paycheck? probably.

Pavol Demitra: buh-bye. Frustrating to see him become the best player in the world for two weeks, in Vancouver no less, and then return to the team as a slug.

Kyle Wellwood: buh-bye. may come back if cheap enough, but Cody Hodgson should take his job next year.

Ryan Johnson: warrior, and a great shotblocker. too good, really He broke his feet what.. three times this season? indifferent as to whether he returns.

Andrew Raycroft: buh-bye. He was decent, and I hope he was good enough to find a job elsewhere. He will be replaced by Corey Schneider, who I how gets 20 games or more. the issue is, there are 17 UFA goalies this summer, so it is a weak market to sell a prospect goalie into. Give him games, show him off, and trade him at the deadline or next summer.

RFAs

Mason Raymond: made $750k, scored 25 goals. his game took a big step last season, his head caught up to his feet. Should get bumped to near $3m, hopefully 4 years or so.

Jannick Hansen: league min last year, should get up to $750 or $800. He's a plumber, but you need a few of them.

Tanner Glass: honestly, I'm not sure I'd even qualify him. he was completely invisible after about November.

Shane O'Brien: made $1.6m. I want to keep him, certainly no raise (was suspended by team in the middle of the season for being too drunk and fat). Has underrated puck-moving skills, is a decent fighter, got in far less trouble on the ice this year.

Aaron Rome: $525k. A warm body. To his credit, i hated him less as the season wore on.

so where do we go?
Our offense is fine. We have some young forwards that should step in - hodgson, grabner, maybe schroeder?

We need steady defensemen. Volchenkov and Hamhuis are going to be in high demand, and possible very overpaid. Kevin Connauton maybe can step in straight from junior, he was a monster in the WHL this year. other than that our cupboard is bare.

I don't know what to do to get Luongo to play better more consistently. A lighter workload should help.

We also need to be tougher. Rypien is a giant killer, but disappears for weeks on end. Hordi's been a disappointment. we don't just need guys who can fight, we need guys who WILL hit, and hit hard. In the playoffs, SOB led the team in hits with 31, and next up was Samuelsson. Yes. Swedish Samuelsson with 30 hits.
In the regular season we only had 4 guys with more than 100 hits. For context, Clutterbuck had 318, and 177 players in the league had over 100 hits. having four players in that group is simply NO good enough.

that's all I got for now.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New York Islanders

Needs: Big shut down Defenseman. Big tough hard hitting Defenseman. Another Powerplay QB Defenseman.

Goal scoring winger: Bobby Ryan would be the perfect compliment to Tavares.

Volchenkov & Hamhuis are the big name defenseman who will get the most offers. The player who I think the Isles might make a big offer to is Zbynek Michalek. He's under the radar because he plays in Phoenix.

Matthew Lombardi is a player I'd like the Isles to sign as well.

The Islanders will probably have to overpay for any FA's. However when you're 8-9 million under the cap floor, I don't think it's going to be much of a problem.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna write mine as a singles' ad...

Red SMs seeking experienced, defensive-minded defenseman. Must be tall, sturdy, and willing to teach (Mike Green). We are playful, energetic, creative, and love the winter, but get shy come the Spring. Willing to trade an enigmatic Russian to play with your old friends. Call me.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caps:
Needs: Their biggest need allready got dealt with yesterday when the resigned Backstrom to that 10 year $6.7 million per year deal. They need a Shutdown D-man like Volchenkov (sorry 43 and other sens fans) or Jackman.

Wants: To resign Fehr, Belanger, schultz (almost a need), Gordon, Bradley, (maybe not both Brads and Gordo) Jurcina and Shaone Morrinsonn. Wouldn't throw a huge fit if any of these guys wern't resigned except for schultz and fehr. Brendan Morrinson and Corvo are gone.

Offense: Caps really don't need to go out an sign a free agent on the offensive end, except for a different 2nd line center. Semin could be on his way out, but I think he will be dealt midseason near the deadline.

Defense. Right now, depending on if they get a shutdown D-man or not, the lines would look something like this
52-55
74-27
3-26
If infact we do get a shutdown D-man, Poti or Morrinsonn would be the two who would be out in some sort of deal or leaving durring FA.

Goalies:
Caps should get some depth here. A vet goalie who can ease Varlamov into the starting role. But if it is between a vet goalie and a shutdown D-man, I can live without a vet goalie.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Red SMs seeking experienced, defensive-minded defenseman. Must be tall, sturdy, and willing to teach (Mike Green). We are playful, energetic, creative, and love the winter, but get shy come the Spring. Willing to trade an enigmatic Russian to play with your old friends. Call me.

I'd be willing to trade Mark Streit for your enigmatic Russian

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not sure if i'm disturbed or amused with that. hah.

really, lets everyone just say that ONE UFA you've had your eye on (okay, sounded creepier than i thought it would). i suppose RFA works too.

mine is...well it sounds like Panton Tallchenkov. that's my clue. for fear of being torn limb from limb.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
43, i'd just not come back to this thread. no need to become a serial murderer.
hccerealkfarrah.jpg

DChero

Out of Work Superhero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the Penguins, I think the defensive personnel this year was fine, they just underachieved. They have the ability, they just lost their heads.

The winger situation will have to be addressed, though I would NOT move any of the big centers to do so. The Penguins don't need a Kovalchuk, they just need guys that can mesh well with the current stars. Kunitz fits really well, and he's not a 30 goal scorer.

I'd be fine with moving Tyler Kennedy for the right prospect. He'll succeed if given the chance, he just drives me too crazy here.

ELYEAH82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well the Pens needs are pretty well known. I am not certain they can fill them through FA without cutting some salary.

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the Bruins, we need one thing.....scoring. I believe Wheeler, Ryder, Sabotka, Satan, Thornton, are all free agents, though I'm not sure who is RFA or UFA. I'm hoping we get Hall in the draft, but Segiun would be welcome also as I believe the Bruins would switch him to wing. Despite the collapse against Philly, (which I credit to the Bruins sitting on their heels with a 3-0 game 7 lead, you just can't do that against a team like the Flyers), our defense is pretty solid as shown by the regular seasons numbers as well as playoffs. I'll be waiting to see what changes are made this off season. Who do we resign and will we pluck someone from the free agent ranks.

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Islanders

Need: Power forwards who can take pressure off of players like Tavares & Josh Bailey.
A legitimate second line
To get rid of Franz Nielsen whom the org keeps touting as a second line center but he's maybe a 4th line center on a good team.

Large stay at home Dman who can play top 3 minutes and mentor players like DeHaan and Hamonic when they join the club this year or next. Plus, with the 5th pick we are either getting Fowler, Gudbranson or Gormley.

I will like that future blueline of deHaan, Hamonic, (one of the three this year) and Donovan plus Streit. They need a stay at home guy to help mold this group.

All we have is needs.

Hckygoalie31

Swiss Cheese
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Flyers:

Flyers are in decent shape as of right now. If they can get Hartnell back to the 30 goal stage, then forwards are not needed. HOWEVER...one glaring thing they do need is a face-off guy. Carter, Richards and Briere just can't do it. Betts has been good, but not good enough. They need a Faceoff guru to teach the other 3 centers how to friggin win faceoffs. Let Asham walk and keep Nodl.

Defense is just fine. Gonna have to find some room under the cap to sign Coburn, who's looked A LOT better. Flyers have 2 very good d-men down in the minors who can contribute as well as Bartulis.

Goaltending...SIGN LEIGHTON!!!! Bouch is under contract for another year.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens have about 10.4 million in cap space to fill out their roster next season.

XXX - Crosby - Kunitz
XXX - Malkin - Dupuis
XXX - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Talbot
Godard
Letestu
Tangradi

Orpik - Letang
Goligoski - XXX
XXX - XXX

Fleury
Johnson

I need more time to think about what I think they should do. Sure up the defensive side of their blueline is my initial game-plan for my armchair GM thinking though.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really, with that little money, the pens have to choose between focusing on shoring up wingers or shoring up Dmen. personally i think if they go D it can be more of a stopgap...that said, the pens won the cup with better D and mostly the same wingers. so, my gut says shore up D, but such a great part of me wants sid and geno to FINALLY get those wingers we've been pining for. with just over 10 million, i thnk some AHLers are getting a shot. guys like Johnson, Letestu, and on D i think Lovejoy is a shoe in and Engeland should be. I also think Tangradi becomes a full timer. should be interesting.

HonusWagner66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I would do:

Malkin - Crosby - Kunitz
UFA - Staal - Dupuis
Tangradi - Letestu - Kennedy
Rupp - Adams - Talbot
Godard

Flip Malkin and UFA if you don't like the monster out at all times.

Tangradi won't be ready to start season, so bump Rupp up and dress Godard as a stopgap for a month or so. UFA would be a guy that can get 20+ goals for about $3 million. Maybe a Ray Whitney? The way I see it, adding Staal, Dupuis and a UFA in the top six for Poni, Feds, Guerin is a wash at worst. Letestu looked good almost every time I saw him. Tangradi is cheap and needs to be up sometime.

IMO the top 6 would be better, the third line worse, 4th the same.

Orpik - Letang
Goligoski - UFA
Leopold - UFA
Engelland or Lovejoy

I'd sign a decently-defensive defenseman for $3-4 million. I'd re-sign Leopold for up to $2 million, and $1-2 on the sixth defensive-defenseman, depending on how much the first one cost. Have Engelland or Lovejoy be the 7th guy for around .5 million.

...Of course there's a reason I'm not a NHL GM.