• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In-Season Trade Thread.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about the Mariners' history of trading at the July trade deadline and the only time I can remember them ever getting one of the truly available big fish at any given trade deadline was 1995 when they got Andy Benes. Did I miss any one?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been thinking about the Mariners' history of trading at the July trade deadline and the only time I can remember them ever getting one of the truly available big fish at any given trade deadline was 1995 when they got Andy Benes. Did I miss any one?
So Heathcliff Slocumb doesn't count?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
12 starts with Seattle with a 5.86 era. Was 7-2 though. Even worse ERA in the playoffs for us.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya but Martin was a hell of a RB at USC...
And apparently a two-way player because didn't he say he tackled some future NFL RB when he was playing defense at UFC.

We get our share of looneys on our sports teams. Was it Polynice that was impersonating a cop and was busted for it on two different occasions?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And apparently a two-way player because didn't he say he tackled some future NFL RB when he was playing defense at UFC.

We get our share of looneys on our sports teams. Was it Polynice that was impersonating a cop and was busted for it on two different occasions?
Ya I don't remember what exactly Martin said abut playing college football. It was funny though.

I don't remember the Polynice thing. I was a Blazers fan...lol.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Okay we were both had right and half wrong.

Controversies. Martin claimed to have played football at University of Southern California. In 2001, he compared a collision with Seattle teammate Carlos Guillén to the time he tried to tackle Michigan running back Leroy Hoard in 1986, when he was playing strong safety at Southern California.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This doesn't go towards your question, and I can't come up with an answer, but it did remind me of this deal. This was a gut punch.

-----------------------------------------------------

THE TEAM: Seattle Mariners

THE YEAR: 1998

sea.gif
THE SITUATION: Contract talks with Randy Johnson had stalled and the Mariners were a disappointing 15 games under .500 by the end of June after winning the division title the year before. Johnson was vocally unhappy with management -- in part, because he believed the team hadn't offered proper condolences when his father died -- and Johnson didn't always appear focused on the mound with a 4.33 ERA. As it became apparent Johnson wasn't going to re-sign with Seattle, Mariners management began using that against him in the media to help sell the upcoming deal.

THE TRADE: Moments before the July 31 deadline, GM Woody Woodward traded Johnson to the Astros for minor leaguers Freddy Garcia, Carlos Guillen and John Halama (a player to be named later). The deal for the three generally unknown prospects was widely panned in the press and Woodward whined that there wasn't much interest in Johnson ... who was only averaging 12.0 strikeouts per nine innings at the time. Garcia would be Baseball America’s No. 61 prospect before the 1999 season, Guillen No. 73.

THE AFTERMATH: The Mariners are known for their bad deadline deals (Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe for Heathcliff Slocumb, Asdrubal Cabrera for Eduardo Perez, Shin-Soo Choo for Ben Broussard), but this one worked out as Garcia and Guillen, and Halama to a lesser extent, helped the Mariners reach the postseason in 2000 and 2001 and win 90-plus games in 2002 and 2003, as well. It also worked out for Houston, as Johnson went 10-1 with a 1.28 ERA in 11 starts, although the Astros would lose to the Padres in the Division Series (Johnson lost both of his starts, though he pitched well). Johnson would sign with Arizona after the season and win four straight Cy Young Awards and the 2001 World Series.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay we were both had right and half wrong.

Controversies. Martin claimed to have played football at University of Southern California. In 2001, he compared a collision with Seattle teammate Carlos Guillén to the time he tried to tackle Michigan running back Leroy Hoard in 1986, when he was playing strong safety at Southern California.
Oh yeah, that's stirring the ole gray matter a bit. Leroy Hoard. I knew he was in my memory somewhere. Easy access to names left me in my mid-30s.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh yeah, that's stirring the ole gray matter a bit. Leroy Hoard. I knew he was in my memory somewhere. Easy access to names left me in my mid-30s.
I made it til 40 before they started dropping. I am almost 60 and I have to search for Griffey in the old memory bank at times.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After acquiring him in the year 2000, in the year 2001, Al Martin had 42 RBI and 41 runs scored in 283 ABs for the Mariners. His splits were: .240./330/.382/.712. That would make him this year's team's third best hitter after Cal Raleigh and (gulp) Dylan Moore.

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the problem..every time .
You try to make .a normal.
Trade ..
They try to drive .the price.up..

So it's what mariners .must.do..
To them..with..
A pitcher ..to show them how it feels..

We must double..the.price...
And leave no.stone.unturned...
And leave..
There fan base crying..
Cuz that .is what they would do...
To us..

And have to wait till.they are desperate...for pitching..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.and there are no .marginal.
Trades that will help..the mariners .

It's..
Rengifo .or or Chisholm..
I doubt Chisholm.will..do..
May as well.keep.polanco...

Some Pham..trade may accually ..be.ok.
But .
I don't see a belinger trade ..
I don't think..the cubs..want it .
Even though .possible..

The mariners must go up....not.
Sidways...for in the end..
Nothing..

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's problem .is .
Owner..want.to suck .the fan.base.dry..of.
Money...
The fan base wants to..win.
And owners are .not making sure..
That they .win...baseball...
Not.
Money....
So..they can .not .suck them..
Dry..

Hence..the rift ..between owners .
And fans....
This well..not .end till.owners.spend.
A dollor .or .the owners .

Trade the pitching...squandering it..
To..other pitcher greedy..
Teams ..
And it will tarnish the owners.
Forever..in the minds of fans...

Last edited:

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owners are..not sucking..dry..
And
Reputation..is losing as well..

They are losing .on all fronts..

Emmerald queen bus leaves.in.
5 min..

Mariners bus..in 10..min..

Yeah..it's the ..small bus..by..the big.
One ...

.to emmerald queen.

Last edited: