• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm not sold on the first move.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRory aving a hard time buying into this one guys. I think it's very similar to how they've always tried to settle the problem with the #2 WR position. Tate is a decent player, but not what I think it will take to force teams to play the Lions differently. 31 million is a lot for this guy IMO. Assuming there was a chance, I would've perfered Ward or Verner. I think there's a few other guys I would've liked a bit better.

Even though I think a WR is still in play for the Lions, I have to ask how much better can Tate be than a 1st or 2nd or even a 3rd rd WR in this draft? Part of me feels like they wasted some cash on this one or maybe they plan on loading up on WRs.

I'm not concerned about Stafford over-throwing Tate as much as I am him being very average. Some other FA WR or rookie will come in and play great for a team and Tate will put up Nate-type numbers. I can see it now.

(Sorry Micro) lol

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you aren't. Reality just KO'd you. You were never getting your WR and it's a hard pill to swallow.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IRory aving a hard time buying into this one guys. I think it's very similar to how they've always tried to settle the problem with the #2 WR position. Tate is a decent player, but not what I think it will take to force teams to play the Lions differently. 31 million is a lot for this guy IMO. Assuming there was a chance, I would've perfered Ward or Verner. I think there's a few other guys I would've liked a bit better.

Even though I think a WR is still in play for the Lions, I have to ask how much better can Tate be than a 1st or 2nd or even a 3rd rd WR in this draft? Part of me feels like they wasted some cash on this one or maybe they plan on loading up on WRs.

I'm not concerned about Stafford over-throwing Tate as much as I am him being very average. Some other FA WR or rookie will come in and play great for a team and Tate will put up Nate-type numbers. I can see it now.

(Sorry Micro) lol
What are u sorry for? I never said he's the greatest ever. I do think he's solid though.

As far as putting up Nate numbers, no effing way. He's way more talented than Nate.

And I'll say it again, just bc we wanted certain defensive players signed doesn't mean they want to come here or that efforts weren't made. We aren't privy to all the telephone calls and conversations that were made. A lot of people simply assume moves weren't made bc the Lions like to score lots of points and that's it. There's many reasons why players choose to play where they do. We can't always get what we want.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not be elite, but he has pretty decent (and strong hands), and is a fairly reliable guy. I don't think the money's awful either.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not be elite, but he has pretty decent (and strong hands), and is a fairly reliable guy. I don't think the money's awful either.

13 million guaranteed over 5 years is nothing.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13 million guaranteed over 5 years is nothing.

He is a very good fit in Detroit. Stafford throws with a lot of velocity but not with a very tight spiral. This makes for a ball that is not very catchable. He also throws high. Tate has very good hands and catchs the ball well at the high point.

I think we overpaid a tad though. I was hopeing for 5.5 mil a year. 6.2 a year is not outrageous though. Guaranteed 13 mil which is about a mil too high IMO.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I dont think he is that great I think he benefited most from RW moving around creating time. I honestly wouldn't pay big money for any Seattle WR.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys act so simple sometimes (Rob). I'll say this one last time: Of course I want the Lions to get a WR but my favorite position is CB and Gilbert would be next on my list. Sorry for not jumping for joy on this one but its just my opinion. A certain few of you have your little WR jokes but who cares. And for the record, I would take Evans and Watkins over Tate any day.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I dont think he is that great I think he benefited most from RW moving around creating time. I honestly wouldn't pay big money for any Seattle WR.

Russell Wilson gets a lot of credit for receivers that are very good at going to get balls. I think lynch makes him look better than Russell does.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys act so simple sometimes (Rob).

Ya, I would have upset too had the Lions signed say Michael Bennett and passed on Ansah last year. I really had my heart set on him.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just think of it this way, he's making half of what mike wallace is making. And getting paid almost the same amount as brian hardline

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Tate catches more than 1 TD this year and doesn't drive his car into a lake he's automatically a massive upgrade over our last no.2 WR

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My heart is actually set on boobs and wiener garages. Then, its drafting Watkins, Evans or Gilbert.

lionscanWIN

The Morenci Mauler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah i think we overpaid by about 3 million but that is kind of what happens during FA prices get jacked up a bit. instead of whole sale we got the president's day price still better than retail for a guy who high points the ball very well.
at the very least we know he runs the quick possession routes above average and his height has helped him be average in the red zone. still kind of need another difference maker but i am happy with yeomen.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you aren't. Reality just KO'd you. You were never getting your WR and it's a hard pill to swallow.

You honestly think this takes drafting a WR out of the equation at #10. We are talking about the Lions. They simply cannot pass up the new shiny toys for the offense.

If Watkins or Evans fall to #10 -- I wouldn't be surprised in the least to see the Lions draft him.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this in the other thread but here goes. Tate has had the lowest drop rate in the NFL, highest forced broken tackle rate and yac of any receiver. No rookie can realistically expect expect to achieve that.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are talking about the Lions. They simply cannot pass up the new shiny toys for the offense.

They just did by signing Tate and passing on your 2 new rookies. They were going to get a no.2 WR this off season whether you accept that or not. It was either coming in FA, or it was coming in the draft.

Well here it is. I don't know why you're so surprised.