• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm not sold on the first move.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think the rookie pay scale changes things though Rob. They can get away with paying Evans or Watkins because of it. Before, I doubt it. I don't think the Lions are pinned down to any position at 10 and they will draft the best prospect regardless. If the Lions continue to participate in WR pro-days (especially Evans), I think it will tell us more.

Ebron seems like he could be a target after this though. Hard to implement a Saints offense without a good TE IMO.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought Ebron was a more realistic option than any WR at 10. I guess it depends on what happens with Pettigrew combined with what the new staff thinks of Fauria. I get a feeling Pettigrew will sign with someone else.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Hawks fan (I know someone is going to pull the sour grapes card) there was no way Seattle was going to offer that kind of money. He's worth 4 years $20M or so in my opinion.

Strengths: Great after ball ability, can make defenders miss. Scrappy, definitely not afraid to block and go up for the ball. Some of the best yards after catch and contact for a receiver. Can light up certain games and a very solid punt returner (although fields some questionable balls, got my heart pumping at times, but he hangs on I'll admit).

Weaknesses: Not amazing speed. Struggles to get separation from defenses. Important the QB buys time or utilizes him on screen/designed open plays. Needs playaction to help get separation.

Biggest Weakness (IMO): Just disappears at times. He can really get going in some games and make defenses pay (both in blocking/receiving) but other games you're wondering if he's even on the field.

Tate is a good player but really thrives after getting the ball in some open territory and where secondary gives him a little separation (zone/intentional) and allows him to make moves.

Is he a legit #2? Eh... we'll see. He led Seattle in yards and averaged about the same YAC with Calvin despite 20 less receptions.

IMO he's not necessarily a deep threat receiver and his skills have to be utilized specifically. IMO he's kind of a specialty WR, but not sure if I would pay that kind of money to have him as a #2. I can tell you right now, if CJ goes down Tate will NOT be filling the void well. Nobody can fill Calvin Johnson but Tate is not a viable #1. Seattle tried that and Wilson was either scrambling or finding Baldwin/Kearse (after Rice was down).

A lot of Tate's plays also came on screens. Not saying Detroit can't do that.

IMO, Detroit still needs to look for another WR in the draft. Tate is a great option and definitely a viable WR, but Tate/Johnson alone is not going to solve the WR issue in Detroit.

Time will tell, hopefully I'm wrong on your guys' part. As a football fan I always want to see FA pan out. I was not exactly thrilled with the 1st and monster contract we gave Harvin... but whatever.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You summed it up pretty good. Those are the things that worry me. If Calvin goes down, Tate will get swallowed up.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a #1!?! That's gonna be news to a few fellas 'round here.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would've felt better throwing a 1 year contract at Nicks

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some guy on a forum (yeah I know some guy, can't remember if it was here) was saying if CJ goes down Tate can be a decent #1 backup. Can't remember if it was here (pretty sure it was) but just clarifying in case anyone is thinking it.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was here on this board. And was the reason why I walked away from that thread.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They pretty clearly said he was number one in Seattle, which was accurate.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some guy on a forum (yeah I know some guy, can't remember if it was here) was saying if CJ goes down Tate can be a decent #1 backup. Can't remember if it was here (pretty sure it was) but just clarifying in case anyone is thinking it.

I said if Calvin goes down the Lions can still win a game vs last year when they were clearly hopeless. If Calvin goes down for the year can Tate be the no 1 and win many games? probably not.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ummmmm, where you said "It doesn't matter"........... And I realized we were at the point in the conversation where you stop giving a shit what someone else thinks. (FS went with calling me a twat instead of telling me to fuck off, which was a nice change of pace.)

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ummmmm, where you said "It doesn't matter"........... And I realized we were at the point in the conversation where you stop giving a shit what someone else thinks. (FS went with calling me a twat instead of telling me to fuck off, which was a nice change of pace.)

Haha! Twat is funny though, I haven't heard that in years.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharkonabicycle did a nice job of describing what I see in Tate. Good, solid receiver. Definitely better than any receiver not named CJ who played for us last year. Love that he's sure-handed. I'm glad to have him here. But, he's not a true #2. He's not a threat opposite CJ
who's going to make any defense think twice about doubling CJ at any time.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decker didn't get much more money than Tate did. That should stir the already boiling pot.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta go Gilbert at #10 now.

Gilbert and Slay on the outside is a lot of potential.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Decker didn't get much more money than Tate did. That should stir the already boiling pot.

Decker wouldn't fit what the Lions look for in a #2. He is too tall.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just did by signing Tate and passing on your 2 new rookies. They were going to get a no.2 WR this off season whether you accept that or not. It was either coming in FA, or it was coming in the draft.

Well here it is. I don't know why you're so surprised.

Rob -- In case you've missed it in these threads, I am FAR from the guy who wants the Lions to draft Watkins or Evans. I've said repeatedly they can fill the #2 role in the 2nd or 3rd round in a draft that has a dozen WRs who have been given 1st or 2nd round evaluations.

Good teams find their talent for the #2 and #3 WR's in the draft. If you haven't noticed -- Seattle and Denver played in the Super Bowl. Golden Tate was a 2nd round pick and just got paid #1 WR money by Detroit now. Eric Decker was a 4th round pick, I believe, and just got paid #1 WR money by the Jets.

When a team already has the highest paid WR in the NFL -- going out and paying top 20 money for another WR means the team is going to have to cut back elsewhere.

Do I think Tate is a great fit for the Lions? Yes. Do I think it makes the Lions offense better? Yes.

Now before everyone gets upset at me -- Here is my problem. Stafford has passed for almost 15,000 yards and 90 touchdowns the last 3 years. Detroit's record during this time. 21-27. Detroit's offense has ranked 6th, 3rd and 5th in total offense over those years. I would have much rather saw the cap space used to upgrade defensively and I just look at the signing of Tate as the Front Office inept ability to draft talent outside the 1st round again. This is the 2nd time they have spent cap space on an offensive weapon after multiple failures to attempting to draft the position (1st time was running back, now it is WR). Between the two positions -- they have spent a 1st, 3 2nd round picks, a 3rd round pick, not including the picks traded away to move up for the RBs and spent roughly 10 million a year now to sign Bush and Tate. THAT is why Detroit is just plugging holes on defense instead of getting better.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just got more rediculous to me. How can they pay him this much and still, the team would be lost without CJ? This means the team has either wasted money or they still need a good WR. This seems to be a marginal upgrade assuming that Tate is considered the answer. He's good enough to continue being the player he is but won't change how teams play the Lions. It makes me wonder if the whole coaching staff was on board with this.